Notices

TX motor speedway?

Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 675
Received 1,031 Likes on 564 Posts
Default TX motor speedway?

What's the best (reasonably priced) way to watch a race there? No RV, just staying in a hotel nearby for the AAA Texas 500. I've only been to one other race in the past (Talladega) so I don't really know what we're getting into. Can you buy infield passes, should I, etc?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,567
Received 720 Likes on 443 Posts
Default

Buy the best seats that you deem "reasonably priced",. It's a real nice track. I've only been to the infield for a tour a couple days before a race, (which was pretty cool) so can't comment on that for race day. Have fun in DFW! Where are you staying?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 675
Received 1,031 Likes on 564 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Buy the best seats that you deem "reasonably priced",. It's a real nice track. I've only been to the infield for a tour a couple days before a race, (which was pretty cool) so can't comment on that for race day. Have fun in DFW! Where are you staying?
I didn't book the hotel, I just know it's a Marriott near there that shuttles around the clock on race weekends.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 1,404 Likes on 772 Posts
Default

Nowadays, I would go to a race the same way I would go to a movie, just walk up and buy a ticket. There is plenty of seats now.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 6,479
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,009 Posts
Default

Races are half full....
have a good time!!
I went to Poconos race once...15 minutes in I wanted to grow wings and fly away
Drag racing....now that's where it's at!!
Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 1,404 Likes on 772 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
Races are half full....
have a good time!!
I went to Poconos race once...15 minutes in I wanted to grow wings and fly away
Drag racing....now that's where it's at!!
Pocono is the closest track to me house, but I have never gone. Been to Dover, Richmond and Loudon. If I were to ever go to a race again, it would have to be Daytona or Bristol.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 6,479
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,009 Posts
Default

Bristol is to small....Taledega or a long track for me....if they would lighten up on all the rules and regs.....they are as bad as sissy baseball players....everything has to be perfect or no race.... cautions....I digress

Kenny hope you have a great experience!!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 591
Likes: 0
Received 711 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

I would think you could see more of the race on TV,
otherwise you just see what runs by you at very high speed and no instant replay
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ozona, Fl
Posts: 318
Likes: 0
Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Default

Don't sit above row 40 as Pillars which support the Suites above you will hinder your vision, Section 118 or section 422 provide the best view of action. IMO
Old 08-07-2019, 12:42 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 141
Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

I built the Motel 6 across I-35 from that track. The MetroPlex is a fun place.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:01 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 675
Received 1,031 Likes on 564 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 99yam40 View Post
I would think you could see more of the race on TV,
otherwise you just see what runs by you at very high speed and no instant replay
This really isn't about the race for us. I'm not sure this group could collectively name 10 drivers. It's going to be a guys weekend, so any other local activity suggestions are very welcomed.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:42 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston,Tx,U.S.A
Posts: 11,746
Received 787 Likes on 440 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
This really isn't about the race for us. I'm not sure this group could collectively name 10 drivers. It's going to be a guys weekend, so any other local activity suggestions are very welcomed.
Zero extra stuff around the track. Look at the full 3 day ticket package so you can see all of the races not just the big boys. The track is out in the middle of no where.

There is a Casino just across the OK/Texas state line roughly 52 miles, it is a Winstar.

John
Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,567
Received 720 Likes on 443 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
This really isn't about the race for us. I'm not sure this group could collectively name 10 drivers. It's going to be a guys weekend, so any other local activity suggestions are very welcomed.
Sundance Square and Cowtown in Fort Worth are a start. Then over to Dallas... Uptown, Deep Ellum.

Some insights into shall we say, the group's "proclivities" and eating preferences would help narrow things down, plus where is everyone coming from.

I disagree with another poster about Bristol, it's a pretty amazing experience, like MMA for cars. Richmond is a close second. If I had to go to one more race in my life, it would be Bristol.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 1,404 Likes on 772 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
This really isn't about the race for us. I'm not sure this group could collectively name 10 drivers. It's going to be a guys weekend, so any other local activity suggestions are very welcomed.
Screw the race then. Hookers and blow.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:01 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 697
Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Default

Less than a mile from the track you will find the town of Roanoke.
On Oak St in the middle of this little town you will find three Iconic Texas restaurants.
The original Babes Chicken, Hard Eight BBQ and the Twisted Root. If you have never been to Babes or Hard Eight, you need to go and get introduced to dining Texas style.
Enjoy, you and your buds will have a great time.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:12 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 675
Received 1,031 Likes on 564 Posts
Default

Well we changed plans last night a bit. We are going to take a 5th wheel and stay in the campground just outside the stadium. Bought infield passes for the weekend, and have seats in section 118 and a single digit row number (thanks Stix).

As far as the groups "proclivities"..... We're pretty easy going and spontaneous, so we'll do anything that sounds good at the moment. We're just a group of old washed up college roommates with small children now, trying to escape reality for a couple days and pretend we've "still got it"..... reality.... in bed by 9, wake up well rested, and throw on the new balances and a knee brace......

Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 5,812
Received 2,820 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Default

$20 says they go in circles turning left the entire time!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 6,479
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,009 Posts
Default

You already pissed yourself....might as well pull your socks up
Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 1,404 Likes on 772 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Well we changed plans last night a bit. We are going to take a 5th wheel and stay in the campground just outside the stadium. Bought infield passes for the weekend, and have seats in section 118 and a single digit row number (thanks Stix).

As far as the groups "proclivities"..... We're pretty easy going and spontaneous, so we'll do anything that sounds good at the moment. We're just a group of old washed up college roommates with small children now, trying to escape reality for a couple days and pretend we've "still got it"..... reality.... in bed by 9, wake up well rested, and throw on the new balances and a knee brace......

Tucked in cut off shirt?
Pulled up socks?
Holder for your phone?

Come on man!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:08 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 675
Received 1,031 Likes on 564 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by r_ventura_23 View Post
Tucked in cut off shirt?
Pulled up socks?
Holder for your phone?

Come on man!
Yea..... figure I've got to brush up on my dad jokes and one-liners if I'm going on a dudes/dads trip like this.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.