Notices
Like Tree30Likes

Balancing Hobbies

Old 06-10-2019, 10:47 AM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Default

I force myself. Hard to say where hobbies end and chores begin sometimes. Like repairing blown engine on my boat, or working on my camper that I use to go dirtbiking.
Fish Haid is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: WI
Posts: 104
Default

when you figure out the answer please post here.

I think the number of hobbies I participate in went up when my kids moved out. problem is my time went down as now I work more.
avenger79 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:56 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 4,684
Default

It's definitely a challenge. I enjoy golf, Italian motorcycles, German cars and boating, all hobbies that take time. I ended my motorcycle hobby around 6 years ago because it has become far too dangerous to ride around here. Ironically, I'm in the process of buying a street bike, but it's going to sit in my office. I might take it around the neighborhood and up to the car/bike show a few times a year which is slow, back roads in both cases, but no hard-core riding anymore. My boat will sit for weeks, and my weekend car can sit for months due to a packed schedule. I'd love to retire early, but at this rate, I'm going to keel over at my desk when I'm 103. Things might be easier if I lived in a condo!
Commocean is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM
  #24  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,251
Default

I retired early so that I could allocate 100% of my time to my hobbies....even that isn't enough time.
Tireless is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,198
Default

Originally Posted by Commocean View Post
It's definitely a challenge. I enjoy golf, Italian motorcycles, German cars and boating, all hobbies that take time. I ended my motorcycle hobby around 6 years ago because it has become far too dangerous to ride around here. Ironically, I'm in the process of buying a street bike, but it's going to sit in my office. I might take it around the neighborhood and up to the car/bike show a few times a year which is slow, back roads in both cases, but no hard-core riding anymore. My boat will sit for weeks, and my weekend car can sit for months due to a packed schedule. I'd love to retire early, but at this rate, I'm going to keel over at my desk when I'm 103. Things might be easier if I lived in a condo!
i keep threatening to sell our our crap and move into a condo.

Maintaining a house is for suckers.
Bront Antwoord likes this.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 AM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,023
Default

Originally Posted by Fish Haid View Post
I force myself. Hard to say where hobbies end and chores begin sometimes. Like repairing blown engine on my boat, or working on my camper that I use to go dirtbiking.
general rule once I hit 50. If it ain't gonna be fun, I ain't gonna do it. Like fishing in high seas, hunting in a pouring rain of extreme cold or heat. Amazing how much I enjoy sitting on the dock or in the camp on the "bad" days
ondarvr1 likes this.
wdkerek is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA and Ocean City, MD
Posts: 117
Default

Regarding your golf membership, check to see if your club offers an inactive membership or (as another already suggested) a social membership. When the cost-per-round got too high for me because of lack of time to play, we were able to go inactive, which means we pay the equivalent of one month of dues per year for the opportunity to reactivate without having to pay a new initiation fee. As an inactive member we can also continue to use any of the club's income-producing facilities like the pro shops and restaurants. Social memberships at our club are less expensive than full memberships but do not include golf or tennis (but do include pools, clubhouse and restaurants, etc.). And if you have friends who are also members, you could play golf as their guest when/if you have the opportunity.

Before we had kids I would correct anyone who said to me "Your life is about to change!" because I thought that phrase was negative. I would say, "no, my life will be different." 13-plus years later I still think the same thing. My life is very different in terms of how my wife and I spend our time but it is exactly how we want it to be.
BoatlessinOC is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 4,684
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
i keep threatening to sell our our crap and move into a condo.

Maintaining a house is for suckers.
If/when I can find a condo/townhouse with a 2-car garage on the water, I'm out!!
Commocean is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 630
Default

Originally Posted by BoatlessinOC View Post
Regarding your golf membership, check to see if your club offers an inactive membership or (as another already suggested) a social membership. When the cost-per-round got too high for me because of lack of time to play, we were able to go inactive, which means we pay the equivalent of one month of dues per year for the opportunity to reactivate without having to pay a new initiation fee. As an inactive member we can also continue to use any of the club's income-producing facilities like the pro shops and restaurants. Social memberships at our club are less expensive than full memberships but do not include golf or tennis (but do include pools, clubhouse and restaurants, etc.). And if you have friends who are also members, you could play golf as their guest when/if you have the opportunity.

Before we had kids I would correct anyone who said to me "Your life is about to change!" because I thought that phrase was negative. I would say, "no, my life will be different." 13-plus years later I still think the same thing. My life is very different in terms of how my wife and I spend our time but it is exactly how we want it to be.
Never heard of it, so I'm 99% sure they don't. How does this make sense to the club? Wouldn't everybody just go "inactive" November - March?
Kenny Powers is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,449
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Never heard of it, so I'm 99% sure they don't. How does this make sense to the club? Wouldn't everybody just go "inactive" November - March?
We can upgrade to full membership during the off months, but can't drop back during that time. Social memberships require a 12 month commitment as well, even if you are a long standing member. We also do a limited number of pool only memberships during the summer months, which are by invite only. Basically lets the women that hang out at the pool invite their friends during those months. Most of said friends husbands don't play golf. Our club is old and small. Basically has a course/range, pool, and bar.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 AM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,602
Default

It's what makes the northern states so much fun, we have seasons, spring, summer, fall, boating, spring/fall hiking, winter sledding, snowball fights, cold camping.
YFMF is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM
  #32  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,023
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
It's what makes the northern states so much fun, we have seasons, spring, summer, fall, boating, spring/fall hiking, winter sledding, snowball fights, cold camping.
Hey now,

We have the brown season and the green season
YFMF likes this.
wdkerek is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Saunderstown / Pt Judith, RI
Posts: 1,672
Default

priorities. family first.

how much can a 2 y/o REALLY enjoy watching you golf, fly and hunt?

my 4 and 2 y/o could give a shit.
yakmatt likes this.
Sin Bin fishing RI is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:46 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast Ct.
Posts: 839
Default

By golly if this isn’t a first world thread I don’t know what is. But golf, I can’t see chasing a ball all day, that’s why I’ve always had golden retrievers.the driving range I like.
Gullpt is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 AM
  #35  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 193
Default

I played golf, owned a boat, and a condo on Florida's West Coast, strickly for weekend fishing trips. As I got older, the first to go was golf and then all weekends were spend fishing, until my fishing partner got married and decided he liked her more than fishing with me. So the condo was sold and the boat went down in a hurricane and not replaced.

Now all I want to do is travel and see all the places I have always wanted to visit. I own a small business and it's pretty easy to get awy when I want, but my fiancée works in corporate America and does not have the flexibility I do, so we take a two week trip every year and five or six three and four day weekends. I'd like to go more, but it won't happen until she retires which could be five or fix more years.
Bernie1951 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:55 AM
  #36  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 630
Default

Originally Posted by Gullpt View Post
By golly if this isn’t a first world thread I don’t know what is. But golf, I can’t see chasing a ball all day, that’s why I’ve always had golden retrievers.the driving range I like.
I was wondering who'd call out the "first world problems" or "humblebrag" aspect of this thread. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.
Bront Antwoord likes this.
Kenny Powers is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 630
Default

Originally Posted by Sin Bin fishing RI View Post
priorities. family first.

how much can a 2 y/o REALLY enjoy watching you golf, fly and hunt?

my 4 and 2 y/o could give a shit.
Quite a bit actually. We go out in the late evenings when there's nobody on the course. He chases the ball on the green, drives the cart, and grins ear to ear the whole time. Obviously he's not hunting yet, but he will.
Kenny Powers is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
  #38  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,427
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
How do you balance your hobbies while life is happening at the same time?

I have far too many expensive and time consuming hobbies (not nearly enough income or free time); and with a little one in the house now I find it almost stressful to try and keep sinking money into them. For example I have a golf membership and a boat, sunken cost into both activities. If I play golf once a week, then I'm spending a stupid amount per round; and that bothers me.....plus I've got to make up for those months where I was hunting. If my boat sits for two weeks, that bothers me as well. I've lost currency as a pilot, so that hobby has already gone by the wayside. My wife and kid enjoy all of these activities as well. I feel like we will seriously regret selling/discontinuing any one of these hobbies for a period of time, but it's just difficult to make them ALL make sense. The kid is 2, so we'll be adding another soon; and I'm sure this doesn't get any better as they get older.

So what do you do?
I am in the same situation. Two kids, golf, and a boat and shore house. I feel like I use none of them enough. If a weekend is free I am going to the shore over golf. I could be so much better at golf if I did not have the boat.

Yesterday for example I played two 7 handicaps straight up. They both beat me, but I won most of the money. Too many bad holes for stroke play but we played skins. I was fortunate that they halved the holes that I blew up on....lol I had two eagle putt in three holes! I have the game, just don't get to play.

Also, factor in baseball, soccer, t-ball, and planning board meeting.......I feel like I have no time for any of it.
r_ventura_23 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
  #39  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CMCH NJ
Posts: 2,439
Default

My life changed with having kids-even went boatless for a couple years till wife said U have to get a boat or you will drive me crazy.

Limited times because kids weren't into fishing so I beached it and fished when I could-as kids got older started working in summers so I played taxi driver around their schedules and would sneak trips in -happiest days was when school restarted as I am self employed I could work around their schedules.

Now last one graduated and I a free most of time unless family friends commitments get in way. Still have house stuff to do but since im only 10 minutes from boat can get down there and get my fix. you will figure it out-I made just about all kids activities ie sports band etc but found time to clear my head.

Get up early and golf 9 holes instead of 18, same with boating. 1 year I had 2 hours between dropping and picking up kids from work-went out opening day flounder fishing second drift right outside my dock caught a 4 lber. Caught another keeper later then came in . Was happy I was able to do that.

A phrase told to me was "manage your expectations" during this time of my life. it will pass before u know it
Spooled is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM
  #40  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Margate NJ Barnegat light NJ
Posts: 498
Default

Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
How do you balance your hobbies while life is happening at the same time?

I have far too many expensive and time consuming hobbies (not nearly enough income or free time); and with a little one in the house now I find it almost stressful to try and keep sinking money into them. For example I have a golf membership and a boat, sunken cost into both activities. If I play golf once a week, then I'm spending a stupid amount per round; and that bothers me.....plus I've got to make up for those months where I was hunting. If my boat sits for two weeks, that bothers me as well. I've lost currency as a pilot, so that hobby has already gone by the wayside. My wife and kid enjoy all of these activities as well. I feel like we will seriously regret selling/discontinuing any one of these hobbies for a period of time, but it's just difficult to make them ALL make sense. The kid is 2, so we'll be adding another soon; and I'm sure this doesn't get any better as they get older.

So what do you do?
Let me get this right... you have a kid that is 2 and you still get to enjoy multiple hobbies??
jbros198 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread