Notices
Like Tree86Likes

How many dogs?

Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 4,651
Default How many dogs?

Our neighbor is having to move do to the loss of his fiancé. He’s moving back up north and works weeks away from home as a commercial diver. He knows we are really big animal lovers and came over and asked my wife if we were interested in his 1 yr old Dogo Argentino. My wife absolutely loves this dog and I do too but we already have 3 and 1 has epilepsy. I think 4 dogs is to much but she doesn’t. She won’t force it on me but I feel bad saying no. My wife says our neighbor was pretty upset and really wants him to go to a good family where he knows he’s being taken care of.

Our current dogs are a Jack Russel, Pekingese and an English Bulldog.

So who has 4 or more dogs? Is it too much?

Here are couple pics of our current dogs and the Dogo Argentino.










north coast and Lprizman like this.

Last edited by 76 Mako 23; 06-07-2019 at 04:55 PM.
76 Mako 23 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hunt Valley MD
Posts: 374
Default

I had 3 labs at one time. It was a lot. Now we have a lab and a Great Dane Not much room left
crabbinmike is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:28 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,302
Default

Owning the dogo is like owning 2 dogs compared to the breeds you have now.
Boataholic likes this.
TorFed is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 691
Default

looking at the second pic I say you are about to have 4 dogs
Matt B, mtty, oceandansar and 16 others like this.
Insider is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by Insider View Post
looking at the second pic I say you are about to have 4 dogs
Agree,,, your opinion isn't going to matter... better build a bigger house, sure looks like a big dog... or say no and you're going to be treated like a bad dog... LOL..
Halibutt, Lprizman, ed d and 1 others like this.
fields is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 751
Default

Once you have two it matters not. Bring him in. Make her happy. Life is too short for a house full of little dogs.
DestinBillMe is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:45 PM
  #7  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,114
Default

Is the Dogo a male or Female? Spay or neutered?
Are the other dogs male or females?
Has the Dogo been properly socialized from puppy?
Does the Dogo get along fine with your current 3?
Have you tried to keep them together for a couple of days or more to see how they adapt?
That would be my only concern. Basically, you are bringing a big, strong dog to an already formed pack hierarchy.
Dogo Argentinos require a VERY STRONG pack leader (you and your wife). You can't hesitate or doubt on that regard.
Since you are bringing him to new territory, it is more likely he will submit to whichever of the other 3 dogs that is running the yard, but you really need to keep an eye on them until you are sure that the new hierarchy within the pack has been resolved.

Personally, my limit is 2 dogs. After that, 3 or 10 is basically the same (aside from the amount of food/poop and vet bills) so I would take him right away.


Post some more pictures of the Dogo, I freacking love that breed.. actually, I have 2.
Here are them during one of our trips to the exumas

emudryj is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: PBG FL
Posts: 441
Default

Small dog big dog syndrome.
one accidental bite.. Btdt with a doberman, toy poodle, cockatoo. Everybody lived together for years. Little dog eating fallen bird seed. Doberman goes over to help. Little dog snaps at big dog. Big dog snaps back. Canine tooth went through ear. Little dog dead instantly. Was an accident.
toristoy is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:01 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 4,651
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
Is the Dogo a male or Female? Spay or neutered?
Are the other dogs male or females?
Has the Dogo been properly socialized from puppy?
Does the Dogo get along fine with your current 3?
Have you tried to keep them together for a couple of days or more to see how they adapt?
That would be my only concern. Basically, you are bringing a big, strong dog to an already formed pack hierarchy.
Dogo Argentinos require a VERY STRONG pack leader (you and your wife). You can't hesitate or doubt on that regard.
Since you are bringing him to new territory, it is more likely he will submit to whichever of the other 3 dogs that is running the yard, but you really need to keep an eye on them until you are sure that the new hierarchy within the pack has been resolved.

Personally, my limit is 2 dogs. After that, 3 or 10 is basically the same (aside from the amount of food/poop and vet bills) so I would take him right away.


Post some more pictures of the Dogo, I freacking love that breed.. actually, I have 2.
Here are them during one of our trips to the exumas

One of the most stressful issues is they have not met and we will not have time to slowly introduce he would need us to take him as soon as Sunday....But we would do neutral ground walks and keep separate for a while. His current owner said he is very submissive and they had a yorkie (his fiancé family took) he said he also did ver well at the dog park with all dogs since he was a puppy. On the other hand our 2 smaller dogs can be jerks , our English is sweet and gets along with other dogs.

Our pekingese is female she is pretty much alpha at 12 lbs. she’s older and grumpy . A big concern is her getting snappy with Drako (the dogo) and him snapping back- one snap could end her.
the Jack Russel and English are males both fixed.

Our neighbor just text me and said you taking in Drako would mean the world to him and eliminate a lot of his guilt and stress. I don’t see being able to say no but we also have to take all of the dogs well being into consideration.

Also, your dogs are beautiful!

Last edited by 76 Mako 23; 06-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.
76 Mako 23 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM
  #10  
dev
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 500
Default

You'll regret not taking him.
It might be stressful at times, it might be challenging, but you'll be happy for giving him a good home.
dev is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,052
Default

Send me her and 9 dogs
bluffman2 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:32 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,449
Default

Originally Posted by Insider View Post
looking at the second pic I say you are about to have 4 dogs
I will say this, if you don't want her to have the 4 dogs it want bother me.
zigzag is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,808
Default

I fostered 5 at one time once. It was fine. It's more about their personality vs the quantity. You can have one crazy one and hate life or 5 cool ones and be fine, besides spending more time vacuuming and more $ in food and vet bills.

If the fit is right and the other things are acceptable, why not?
Fish_DOut and SOSC like this.
crazybeard is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,166
Default

You seem knowledgeable and have realistic expectations. The dog respects you two or you wouldn't like him. I'd sure give the 4th dog a try. Hate to see a good dog go to who knows what kind of home.
Double tyme likes this.
Milehog is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:23 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Great Sanctuary State of New Jersey
Posts: 2,223
Default

Originally Posted by 76 Mako 23 View Post
Our neighbor is having to move do to the loss of his fiancé. He’s moving back up north and works weeks away from home as a commercial diver. He knows we are really big animal lovers and came over and asked my wife if we were interested in his 1 yr old Dogo Argentino. My wife absolutely loves this dog and I do too but we already have 3 and 1 has epilepsy. I think 4 dogs is to much but she doesn’t. She won’t force it on me but I feel bad saying no. My wife says our neighbor was pretty upset and really wants him to go to a good family where he knows he’s being taken care of.

Our current dogs are a Jack Russel, Pekingese and an English Bulldog.

So who has 4 or more dogs? Is it too much?

Here are couple pics of our current dogs and the Dogo Argentino.










i think your mind has already been made up.
Lprizman and dammit like this.
SeaBoss21 is offline  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 4,651
Default

Well we met with our neighbor just now. I can see the hurt in his eyes. I can’t imagine what he’s going through. He really wants us to take him and I can’t say no to my friend who is hurting so bad. He is leaving Sunday for 2 weeks for a job. We committed to do a trial run for those 2 weeks. I really feel he will fit right in and worst case we will help find a great home. We also have done pit bull rescues in the past so we have some good contacts that can help with rehoming if needed. I feel good about this and I believe it will all work out fine with the right planing.
Onewolf, zigzag, Lprizman and 10 others like this.

Last edited by 76 Mako 23; 06-08-2019 at 06:16 AM.
76 Mako 23 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 110
Default

Please keep us updated on how things progress. My wife are both dog lovers (especially her) so this is an interesting topic. Thanks and best wishes for success
Lprizman likes this.
horsepen40 is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 AM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by 76 Mako 23 View Post
Well we met with our neighbor just now. I can see the hurt in his eyes. I can’t imagine what he’s going through. He really wants us to take him and I can’t say no to my friend who is hurting so bad. He is leaving Sunday for 2 weeks for a job. We committed to do a trial run for those 2 weeks. I really feel he will fit right in and worst case we will help find a great home. We also have done pit bull rescues in the past so we have some good contacts that can help with rehoming if needed. I feel good about this and I believe it will all work our fine with the right planing.
Good on ya for doing the trial run, please let us know how it goes.
Lprizman likes this.
SOSC is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 5,544
Default

Congrats on your new dog!!!!
Lprizman is offline  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 AM
  #20  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,114
Default

Originally Posted by bluffman2 View Post
Send me her and 9 dogs
LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLO

I kept myself in check because I did not want to sound disrespectful, but I agree, If I were the OP, whatever the wife says, goes.... Wink Wink.
Lprizman likes this.
emudryj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread