Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Anyone have kids with depth perception problems?

Notices
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By mymojo
  • 1 Post By yarcraft91
  • 1 Post By txj33p
  • 1 Post By mymojo
  • 1 Post By Design59
  • 3 Post By D.M.D.
  • 1 Post By OldPete
  • 1 Post By OldPete
  • 2 Post By D.M.D.
  • 1 Post By ericinmich
  • 1 Post By Design59

Anyone have kids with depth perception problems?

Old 06-01-2019, 08:02 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 959
Default Anyone have kids with depth perception problems?

Does anyone have kids with depth perception issues? My 6yo daughter has terrible depth perception. Ever since she was little she has fallen constantly thinking the stairs were closer then what they really are and running into walls and tripping. She has been to Neuro, EENT, physical therapy etc etc and nothing has been found.

Her vision has been checked and everything came back fine. She's a habitual toe walker and has been wearing braces for a few months now to stretch out her tendons but still no improvements.

I spent 4k in physical therapy with no positive results. Yesterday, she was at field day and ran clean into another kid requiring 7 stitches above her eyelid. Now, I know kids are clumsy in general but holy shit something has to change before she really gets hurt. Any thoughts???
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,240
Default

This may not be not be the same but I have light sensitivity to UV lights. They will make me puke. My friends kid has to eat in the dark he has it way worse than me. He can't walk with bright lights I can explain that further if you like. But its screwy.
williamwallus is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:28 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 815
Default

Inner ear issues or vertigo?
JKBrad is online now  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:02 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 959
Default

Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Inner ear issues or vertigo?
That what we thought it was but everything checked out fine. She has a balance test coming up but I'm pessimistic about the results they might find.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 03:31 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,792
Default

My daughter, now 18, has little depth perception. It became clear to us as a3 year old when she had difficulty feeding herself. She would bring the spoon up to her mouth and invariably hit the side of her cheek with it. At first we thought it was funny so we played along and laughed until we realized she was not playing games. he would also freak out on swings, in the flybridge we had to put a blanket over her head to stop the screaming. Eventually after many various eye tests she ended up with some serious coke bottle glasses which solved the issue for her. Can't say it's the same as your daughter's issues but maybe more investigation into correct eye glasses might be worthwhile. Good luck!
Finfever21 likes this.
mymojo is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:53 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,407
Default

I hope your daughter is cured of toe walking by PT, because tendon lengthening surgery is an option but not pleasant.

I'm a little surprised the PT for toe walking didn't start until age 6. When did you daughter start wearing shoes? Age 4 or later?

The depth perception thing may never be corrected. My wife always had depth perception problems. The visual acuity in both eyes is corrected to 20/20, but she seems to only process images from one eye, hence the depth perception issue. A specialist may be able to help your daughter, a regular optometrist probably not so much.
Finfever21 likes this.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 959
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I hope your daughter is cured of toe walking by PT, because tendon lengthening surgery is an option but not pleasant.

I'm a little surprised the PT for toe walking didn't start until age 6. When did you daughter start wearing shoes? Age 4 or later?

The depth perception thing may never be corrected. My wife always had depth perception problems. The visual acuity in both eyes is corrected to 20/20, but she seems to only process images from one eye, hence the depth perception issue. A specialist may be able to help your daughter, a regular optometrist probably not so much.

I should of specified on the PT. She started that at age 4 and after a year of it she continued to toe walk. She began actually wearing shoes about 3 to I believe. She's been to a specialist for optometry and couldn't find anything that would cause the issue.

We've talked about the surgery but haven't come to terms if that is the right approach or not. Still exploring other options and opinions.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,276
Default

I don’t think so but the front fenders on my daughter’s car might argue. Since it is a rav4 it barely shows the scratches.
Finfever21 likes this.
txj33p is online now  
Old 06-02-2019, 06:53 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,417
Default

Not a doctor but from what I understand the issue is her brain is only processing from one eye. A good ophthalmologist should be able to figure out which eye she uses and patch that one forcing her brain to adapt to the other one.
mikefloyd is online now  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,407
Default

On the toe walking, you'll want to get that corrected before she gets bullied about it at school. First grade, maybe no problem, but teasing or worse will start at some point.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,792
Default

Originally Posted by Finfever21 View Post
I should of specified on the PT. She started that at age 4 and after a year of it she continued to toe walk. She began actually wearing shoes about 3 to I believe. She's been to a specialist for optometry and couldn't find anything that would cause the issue.

We've talked about the surgery but haven't come to terms if that is the right approach or not. Still exploring other options and opinions.
I forgot to mention my daughter did in fact have some sort of eye surgery when she as young to address her vision difficulties. I talked to her about it this morning and she reminded me. She still wears glasses/contacts but the depth perception is mostly cured and does not present too many difficulties for her these days.
Finfever21 likes this.
mymojo is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,162
Default

I would focus on the eyes. I had a severe eye injury at 17. It was surgically repaired, but permanently damaged. The bottom line is my mind operates primarily through the good eye, and the bad one fills in the field of vision.

The affect on depth perception is there but I rarely notice it. I can pull my truck up to a wall Iím certain Iím about to hit, and know when I get out and look it will be 18Ē away. I am careful to use hand rails on stairs because my perception plus bi-focal s can make things move. But honestly never think about it. The minds ability to adapt is impressive

Iíd be testing how her eyes are being used, not just what they see, if that makes any sense.

Good luck.
Finfever21 likes this.
Design59 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,695
Default

Depth perception is the ability to see things in three dimensions (including length, width and depth), and to judge how far away an object is. For accurate depth perception, you generally need to have binocular (two-eyed) vision. In a process called convergence, our two eyes see an object from slightly different angles and our brain compares and processes the two sets of information to form a single image. When both eyes see clearly and the brain processes a single image effectively, it is called stereopsis. People who rely on vision primarily in one eye (called monocular vision) may struggle with depth perception. However, some people who have had good vision in one eye for a long period of time may find they have acceptable depth perception. This is because their brain has adjusted in various ways to make up for the limited visual input from one eye.

You need to have this checked out by an optomitrist or an Eye hospital such as Will's Eye Hospital in Phila. SHe may be seeing in monocular and not in stereo. Try patching one eye on yourself for a day and then try to pour a glass of water from a pitcher.....Have paper towels ready. She will also have difficulty learning especially with reading and any board work. When you said vision was fine, was that acuity? 20/20 is great, but the eyes and brain may not be working together. The information may be going in correctly, but the message is getting scrambled. I would not delay very long on this in getting a diagnosis.

You also may want to call Will's Eye and perhaps they can recc. an institute where you live, or go to Phila.

https://www.willseye.org/medical-ser...gical-network/
BLUESMAN, OldPete and Finfever21 like this.
D.M.D. is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:17 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,847
Default

Can I be rough?

Find new doctors.

My daughter was damn near half deaf and the morons didnít catch it. It took my wife and I pitching a fit and seeing a real doc.

Next up.

My son. Friggin kid is near sighted. Nobody caught it until we did a sports screening.

Moral of the story? Get the hell away from the current docs. My niece lost her life because people took too long to do the right thing. Itís a horrible thing to live with.

Best wishes.
Finfever21 likes this.
OldPete is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,847
Default

Originally Posted by D.M.D. View Post
Depth perception is the ability to see things in three dimensions (including length, width and depth), and to judge how far away an object is. For accurate depth perception, you generally need to have binocular (two-eyed) vision. In a process called convergence, our two eyes see an object from slightly different angles and our brain compares and processes the two sets of information to form a single image. When both eyes see clearly and the brain processes a single image effectively, it is called stereopsis. People who rely on vision primarily in one eye (called monocular vision) may struggle with depth perception. However, some people who have had good vision in one eye for a long period of time may find they have acceptable depth perception. This is because their brain has adjusted in various ways to make up for the limited visual input from one eye.

You need to have this checked out by an optomitrist or an Eye hospital such as Will's Eye Hospital in Phila. SHe may be seeing in monocular and not in stereo. Try patching one eye on yourself for a day and then try to pour a glass of water from a pitcher.....Have paper towels ready. She will also have difficulty learning especially with reading and any board work. When you said vision was fine, was that acuity? 20/20 is great, but the eyes and brain may not be working together. The information may be going in correctly, but the message is getting scrambled. I would not delay very long on this in getting a diagnosis.

You also may want to call Will's Eye and perhaps they can recc. an institute where you live, or go to Phila.

https://www.willseye.org/medical-ser...gical-network/
This guy had it right.
Either Wills or Bascom.
Finfever21 likes this.
OldPete is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:00 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 959
Default

Thanks guys for the great info. I will follow up with each suggestion. Greatly appreciated.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brookline, Ma.
Posts: 1,695
Default

Let us know how it turns out....Educational ramifications will be evident early especially in a formal learning setting. Good Luck!!
OldPete and Finfever21 like this.
D.M.D. is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 959
Default

Originally Posted by D.M.D. View Post
Let us know how it turns out....Educational ramifications will be evident early especially in a formal learning setting. Good Luck!!

I will definitely keep yall informed. Thanks again.
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:02 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,913
Default

My son had it for a while when in middle school. One time he was in a race and passed the person in second place yet he couldn't see well enough to know what place he was in after the pass...



JKBrad likes this.
ericinmich is offline  
Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,162
Default

Originally Posted by OldPete View Post


This guy had it right.
Either Wills or Bascom.
Bascom Palmer is who did the rebuild on my eye 35 years ago. Canít say enough good about them.
Now use Wilmer Institute @ Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. As good or better.
Good Luck!
Finfever21 likes this.
Design59 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread