Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Aging Labrador, How to know when it's time?

Notices
Like Tree54Likes

Aging Labrador, How to know when it's time?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 168
Default Aging Labrador, How to know when it's time?

My 12 1/2 year old lab is in declining health Has pretty severe arthritis, take pain meds daily for it. Very difficult to get up most of the time. We've seen an increase in pooping in the house, sometimes right where he lays. He eats fine, still loves to be petted but he seems lethargic more and more. The vet says all blood work is normal, just getting old. So, the question is how to you know when to put him to sleep?
keleast is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central, Florida
Posts: 1,507
Default

Have you tried the dog bones with CBD oil in them(Or really any CBD oil dog product)? That bought a few more months for us. I call it when they no longer want to go walk with you in the back yard. That was when I knew it was time. Each person pup is different.
kurttruk is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 999
Default

Really tough decision but if the dog can't get up to poop, it might be time...
tprice and 1976K204x4 like this.
SeaMonkey1 is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 839
Default

Been through it a couple times. When it's time, you'll know. I can't tell you how you'll know, but I've known every time. My last dog, 12 year old GSP mix, ended up with a tumor on his spleen. We knew the end to the story before we got to the last page. One day I came home and I just knew. I picked him up in my arms because he couldn't get around. He normally squirmed and flailed in his healthy years. He just let me pick him up and gave me a look "It's time to go dad." Gets me a little choked up typing it to be honest.

Like I said, you'll know. Give him lots of pets and hugs.
HookMeUpII is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location:
Posts: 256
Default

keleast,
Sorry to hear you're in this situation. That was a hard one for me too. My black lab was 16 when I had to play God. He wasn't wagging his tail anymore, was not making it out of the house to go to the bathroom and would just stand there panting hard sometimes. We were keeping him around for us more so than him. Hope someone will take me to the vet when I get like that....
good luck!
Minnow is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:48 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Apopka, Fl
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by keleast View Post
My 12 1/2 year old lab is in declining health Has pretty severe arthritis, take pain meds daily for it. Very difficult to get up most of the time. We've seen an increase in pooping in the house, sometimes right where he lays. He eats fine, still loves to be petted but he seems lethargic more and more. The vet says all blood work is normal, just getting old. So, the question is how to you know when to put him to sleep?
I as well just went through this. Questioned when will or how will I know. My 13 year old lab had cancer so perhaps it was more evident ...but...when his ears no longer perked up...needed help just to get up and couldn't wait thru the night to get outside to pee...didn't always eat..and perhaps most of all his breathing started to become labored. It was then I knew he was suffering and as much as it hurt, I knew it was time for me to let him go. I had the vet come to house and I was in Buddy's face every minute. At the house the vet does an exam (well they're supposed to) to make sure it is the correct decision. It's been two weeks and STILL hurts so prepare yourself.
johnb48 is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,214
Default

My vet says it is when the dog is not able to enjoy life anymore. Both of the ones we put down were eaten up by cancer and the treatments were not working anymore. On the Yellow lab the tumor was growing so fast you could see the difference from day to day.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM
  #8  
dev
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 499
Default

Originally Posted by HookMeUpII View Post
Been through it a couple times. When it's time, you'll know. I can't tell you how you'll know, but I've known every time. My last dog, 12 year old GSP mix, ended up with a tumor on his spleen. We knew the end to the story before we got to the last page. One day I came home and I just knew. I picked him up in my arms because he couldn't get around. He normally squirmed and flailed in his healthy years. He just let me pick him up and gave me a look "It's time to go dad." Gets me a little choked up typing it to be honest.

Like I said, you'll know. Give him lots of pets and hugs.
This. You know when it's time if you're really paying attention.
dev is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,201
Default

Laying in their feces is not the way for them to go...just put my girl down 3 weeks ago....it was time and was the dignified way for her to go...I’m sorry for what you’re about to go thru...I feel for you..we put her on a raw diet of ground meat, hard boiled eggs and rice. Added Dynovite ,fish oil and Lick o Chops...perked her up for a few months before she went...
superfishal is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:16 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,218
Default

Our lab got a tumor on her leg when she was almost 13 & the vet said it would never heal but we decided to try so we had surgery on her. She was a month away from 15 when we put her down so the vet was wrong and we got 2 more years to enjoy her.

It might be to late for your dog but ours started having hip & knee problems when she was about 8. We put her on heavy doses of chondroitin and glucosamine, it took about a month to see the difference but there is no doubt the stuff worked wonders.

I knew it was time when she wouldn't eat cheese, she stopped eating everything and only drank a little water. I let her out to do her business and she collapsed right into her own pee and couldn't get up. We scheduled with the vet to do the deed and I took a couple days off to be with her. Watching her go was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.
RussH is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LBI NJ
Posts: 2,292
Default

My friend asks rhetorically, was he /she a proud dog? They don't want to be a burden. Remember the love they have for you.... And that ALL dogs go to heaven.
bayrunner16 and kurttruk like this.
Re-Bait is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:30 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,939
Default

cant get up, shits the bed? ummmm, its time!

dont be selfish and keep her around because you want her around!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOBX
Posts: 463
Default

Quality of life is important. We had Thor, our beloved lab mix, put to sleep two years ago, when he became incontinent and was in too much pain to walk. Before the end, he feasted on his favorite snacks, and soaked up as much love and attention as we could give him. (Still hurts though.)

Wishing you peace at this difficult time.

DrDanH is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,939
Default

Originally Posted by Re-Bait View Post
My friend asks rhetorically, was he /she a proud dog? They don't want to be a burden. Remember the love they have for you.... And that ALL dogs go to heaven.
except pit bulls that eat the faces off toddlers! they dont go to heaven!
SolOps likes this.
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 286
Default

my yellow lab was 10 when he went from an annoying perky asshole to unable to stand up on his own in a 48 hr time span. Spent an overnight at an ER vet on IV's and then over to his long time and trusted vet the next morning. They did a bunch of tests and checked him out. Couldn't control his temperature, organs failing, etc. The vet told me, "If you were my brother, I'd tell you it's time to let him go before he suffers more." That was enough for me. So I sat on the floor in in one of the vet offices with him and held his head on my lap while they put him under and then to sleep. From 7 weeks old to 10 yrs old. It was hard, still is when I talk about it.
Sangster is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 3,231
Default

Our golden retriever had cancer in his leg and it had to be amputated when he was 10. We got another year and a half with him but it was clearly time when he couldn't get up to go outside to pee and couldn't hold down most foods. What a sad day that was. Cried like a baby all the way home in the car. Sorry you are going through this now but it sounds like it is time...
FASTFJR likes this.
Tuna Colada is online now  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:44 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,282
Default

This is a very timely thread for me we are essentially contemplating the same. Not looking forward to it.
mwgoldman is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:52 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,778
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
except pit bulls that eat the faces off toddlers! they dont go to heaven!
way to ruin a sincere thread.
Boataholic is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:02 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 1,510
Default

Originally Posted by Sangster View Post
my yellow lab was 10 when he went from an annoying perky asshole to unable to stand up on his own in a 48 hr time span. Spent an overnight at an ER vet on IV's and then over to his long time and trusted vet the next morning. They did a bunch of tests and checked him out. Couldn't control his temperature, organs failing, etc. The vet told me, "If you were my brother, I'd tell you it's time to let him go before he suffers more." That was enough for me. So I sat on the floor in in one of the vet offices with him and held his head on my lap while they put him under and then to sleep. From 7 weeks old to 10 yrs old. It was hard, still is when I talk about it.
This post struck a chord with me. Same situation, only at 6 rather than 10, and it was a stomach tumor. Still think about that damned dog every day, and it's been over three years. We have another now, but...

OP, do the right thing and let your pet go. Sounds like he's had a pretty good run. I feel for you, it's awful. Part of having pets unfortunately.

SweetD is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:11 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 309
Default

I went through this last year with my Springer.. He couldn't get up on his own any more and started shitting himself. His hips were done. I inquired with a friend at work who's wife was a vet and got a list of people who would come to the house. He recommended Dr. Rose from the list. She was great. She came and my daughter and I comforted Luke while she administered an IV and then three different drugs. The cost was about $220 and I gave her a $20 tip. Once he was dead, my daughter and I buried him in the back yard. I get to say hi whenever I'm out there.
Gary Schulte is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread