Notices

Quality Hammok?

Old 05-27-2019, 05:00 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The great BLUE SEA
Posts: 2,423
Received 258 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Quality Hammok?

Anyone recommend a QUALITY hammock that can stand up to SWFL sun and rain?
Old 05-27-2019, 05:07 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,370
Likes: 0
Received 591 Likes on 295 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Smitty777 View Post
Anyone recommend a QUALITY hammock that can stand up to SWFL sun and rain?
Real Pawleys Island one. Nothing made of cord and wood lasts forever but the Pawleys Island will Outlast all the cheap ones.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:12 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,298
Received 220 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Get one with polyester or duracord instead of cotton.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 1,338
Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

I’ve had a NagsHead Hammock for 12 or 13 years. Other than some fading of the color, not one issue.

https://nagsheadhammocks.com/
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 117
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

i have one of the singles and love it. made from both types of materials. https://cielohammocks.com/index.php/en/site/index

i have a pawleys island hammock that's 30 years old, and like brand new because it's too uncomfortable with the large cotton cord and large weave pattern. if you put a pad on it, the pawley's is nice. and there are similar. but the cotton won't lat exposed.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:06 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 22,022
Received 1,596 Likes on 864 Posts
Default

Hatteras Hammocks out of Greenville NC makes some quality stuff. We have one of their hammocks and a couple of the swinging chairs.

https://hatterashammocks.com/?gclid=...kaAkkTEALw_wcB
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,532
Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dssmith View Post
Real Pawleys Island one. Nothing made of cord and wood lasts forever but the Pawleys Island will Outlast all the cheap ones.
this is the answer. I bought one in 2003...it lived outside in key west for 3 years, lived in an attic, then a shed, then outside for 2 years near the California desert...now outside for the last couple years in north Florida. The wood slats are weathered a little (they still look decent) and it still looks great.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,434
Received 697 Likes on 315 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captglasshole View Post
I’ve had a NagsHead Hammock for 12 or 13 years. Other than some fading of the color, not one issue.

https://nagsheadhammocks.com/
2nd this
Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: L,I. N.Y
Posts: 852
Received 1,363 Likes on 652 Posts
Default

just a note while you are looking.

Most of the hammocks out there today are not tied properly.
The cords are not knotted- just passed around each other. Why?? Because its easier and cheaper.
Hammocks cords should be tied to eache other, almost like a net
Old 05-28-2019, 05:31 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 4,072
Received 1,180 Likes on 536 Posts
Default

Do you want one with or without wood spreaders? There are tourist quality and local quality hammocks in Mexico, the tourist ones are crap. Many locals sleep in them. Happy to send you one for the cost, which for a large would be less than $40. They are not knotted for comfort reasons, not because it is easier. Families that make quality hammocks take great pride in them.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,103
Likes: 0
Received 1,115 Likes on 576 Posts
Default

My wife gave me a genuine Pawley's Island rope hammock for an anniversary present in 1989. I never leave it outside in the rain. It look brand new. My grandparents had the same one on their front porch for over 30 years.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:42 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,605
Likes: 0
Received 1,408 Likes on 773 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DFreedom View Post
My wife gave me a genuine Pawley's Island rope hammock for an anniversary present in 1989. I never leave it outside in the rain. It look brand new. My grandparents had the same one on their front porch for over 30 years.
pic of hammock?
Old 05-28-2019, 12:21 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,456
Likes: 0
Received 420 Likes on 243 Posts
Default

Pawleys Island Hammock is the way to go.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:26 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,802
Likes: 0
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captglasshole View Post
I’ve had a NagsHead Hammock for 12 or 13 years. Other than some fading of the color, not one issue.

https://nagsheadhammocks.com/
3rd this. We have one that we have had for 8 years and was given to us by my sister who used it for years.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:38 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 2,293
Received 769 Likes on 418 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marsh wabbit View Post
i have one of the singles and love it. made from both types of materials. https://cielohammocks.com/index.php/en/site/index

i have a pawleys island hammock that's 30 years old, and like brand new because it's too uncomfortable with the large cotton cord and large weave pattern. if you put a pad on it, the pawley's is nice. and there are similar. but the cotton won't lat exposed.
Pawleys island hammoks are great for kids to play on and cooling off in the shade and hold up extremly well in the weather but not that comfortable. My wife bought me a canvas one similar to the ones in the link marsh wabbit posted and it's awesomely comfy but we don't don't think it would hold up left in the sun and weather so we bring it in.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:06 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,103
Likes: 0
Received 1,115 Likes on 576 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by r_ventura_23 View Post
pic of hammock?
I guess it is just beyond your control to stop being a dick isn't it. It seems to come to you so naturally.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:18 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: buzzards bay,ma.
Posts: 4,026
Received 555 Likes on 299 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Do you want one with or without wood spreaders? There are tourist quality and local quality hammocks in Mexico, the tourist ones are crap. Many locals sleep in them. Happy to send you one for the cost, which for a large would be less than $40. They are not knotted for comfort reasons, not because it is easier. Families that make quality hammocks take great pride in them.
This! We have one made in the town my wife is from, by the craftspeople that live there, and for the locals. It’s an amazing piece of craftsmanship and incredibly durable and comfortable
Old 05-28-2019, 05:31 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The great BLUE SEA
Posts: 2,423
Received 258 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

I would prefer the wood spreaders unless you can tell me a good reason to the get them??
Old 05-28-2019, 05:41 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 4,072
Received 1,180 Likes on 536 Posts
Default

I have never seen a local one with spreaders, but most I see in the US have them, that is why I asked. Sleeping on an angle allows you to lie flat in a hammock. Can't see that happening on one with wood. But it is about what you find comfortable!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:58 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 5,070
Received 625 Likes on 322 Posts
Default

We had a Hatteras Hammock for years and it lasted until we sold the house and left it after probably 15 years.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.