Notices
Like Tree82Likes

Dog adoption

Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 861
Default Dog adoption

I just submitted an application. Whew! I need a drink and a nap, and I have to give heads-up to 3 friends and a vet that they'll be contacted as references. I have to prepare for a home visit. I should work late tonight to make up the time it took from a workday.

I gave more info about my home than my mortgage and insurance companies have. Oh, they also wanted the year, make and model of my cars.

A good friend of mine just bought a Lab puppy. As far as I know, he gave a deposit, then chose a puppy, dropped cash and took him home. (he did have to agree that if he ever needs to surrender the puppy, that he'll go back to the breeder)

Am I just not understanding these adoption organizations? Are there so many unfit people looking to adopt an adult dog that they have to go to these lengths, or is this just a matter of strange people asserting power?
RollerCoastr is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,059
Default

Originally Posted by RollerCoastr View Post
I just submitted an application. Whew! I need a drink and a nap, and I have to give heads-up to 3 friends and a vet that they'll be contacted as references. I have to prepare for a home visit. I should work late tonight to make up the time it took from a workday.

I gave more info about my home than my mortgage and insurance companies have. Oh, they also wanted the year, make and model of my cars.

A good friend of mine just bought a Lab puppy. As far as I know, he gave a deposit, then chose a puppy, dropped cash and took him home. (he did have to agree that if he ever needs to surrender the puppy, that he'll go back to the breeder)

Am I just not understanding these adoption organizations? Are there so many unfit people looking to adopt an adult dog that they have to go to these lengths, or is this just a matter of strange people asserting power?

If we only cared about people as much...................
wdkerek is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:20 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cedar Point, OH, Miami, FL
Posts: 861
Default

Right?!
RollerCoastr is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,288
Default

Our last two dogs came from an adoption network that our vet organizes and have worked out very well. Some of those adoption places have a lot of special needs dogs that have behavioral issues, food allergies and can only eat special food, previous injuries, or birth defects. You don't want that unless you have a personality in which you have to surround yourself with hard cases. Just a word to the wise.
catmandoo1 likes this.
raystein is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:31 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: WI
Posts: 138
Default

the worst part is many of those places are run by complete tools. they go through the motions and all but in reality have no reason to judge others ability to have a pet.

good luck, might be easier to go through a police interrogation.
avenger79 is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:34 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,597
Default

If they really cared they would address the issue of why so many of these dogs are abandoned.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:48 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sarasota
Posts: 3,584
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
If they really cared they would address the issue of why so many of these dogs are abandoned.

i knew it was “fake caring....”

and if we could correct humanity, I don’t think we would start on dog adoption ... but I think I get the point your trying to make


gumpire is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,389
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
If they really cared they would address the issue of why so many of these dogs are abandoned.

They do, the problems is our elected people in office. PA has real problems with breeders (Amish & Mennonite).
andyp262 likes this.
FASTFJR is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,389
Default

Originally Posted by wdkerek View Post
If we only cared about people as much...................
I have in laws who should have been put out of their misery two years ago
PXMAN, peter bear, Gary999 and 1 others like this.
FASTFJR is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,003
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
If they really cared they would address the issue of why so many of these dogs are abandoned.
I think that is why they do it. They don't want a person to adapt a dog and not take care of it. It is a little extreme though...
wezie likes this.
SeaMonkey1 is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:09 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,389
Default

Originally Posted by SeaMonkey1 View Post
I think that is why they do it. They don't want a person to adapt a dog and not take care of it. It is a little extreme though...
I volunteer for a rescue, DVGRR.... https://www.dvgrr.org

We spend a lot of money on the health of the dogs who come. We have taken in dogs from PR and China. We want to make dam sure we won't be seeing them again once they are adopted.
FASTFJR is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Saint Amant Louisiana
Posts: 3,059
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
I volunteer for a rescue, DVGRR.... https://www.dvgrr.org

We spend a lot of money on the health of the dogs who come. We have taken in dogs from PR and China. We want to make dam sure we won't be seeing them again once they are adopted.
Wait......What?? Who pays to have a K9 shipped from CHINA to save and rescue here??

Please oh please tell me it is not tax dollars being used for that.
wdkerek is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: DE
Posts: 240
Default

I just adopted a new puppy in December. I experienced the same thing. I did fill out applications at a couple places.

In the end I got my new puppy from a shelter. It was a simpler process but puppies go fast at the shelter. The litter my dog came from was gone in 2 days once they were put up for adoption. I would have got a puppy from one of the rescues but by the time I got approved the puppies I saw were gone.
willf650 is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:18 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maple Shade, New Jersey
Posts: 2,095
Default

After I lost Gracie, I saw a puppy on the basset hound rescue site I wanted. I inquired and said let's do it. Same thing, what vet do I use? What do I live in? What are my cars? 3 friends? What will I feed her? Will I treat for heartworms? That was a half hour lecture!

I figured they are too busy to follow up on everything. I was wrong. Vet get called, 3 friends got called, drove by and knocked on my door, asked again about food for her. Wow, well I passed everything. This is Abagail and she is going to help me sell boat covers.



Coverguy is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,389
Default

Originally Posted by wdkerek View Post
Wait......What?? Who pays to have a K9 shipped from CHINA to save and rescue here??

Please oh please tell me it is not tax dollars being used for that.
Don't you worry, none of your precious tax dollars were used. It was a couple groups that rescued dogs from the meat markets of China over the last few years


https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-p...dog-meat-trade
https://www.boston25news.com/news/do...etts/723967008







FASTFJR is online now  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:19 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
 
williamwallus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SWFL, Midwest
Posts: 3,242
Default

I used to foster / adopt greyhound and it gets pretty crazy. I have whippets now and they are just as picky, even when buying a $1000+ dog, still have an interview.
williamwallus is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:21 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 413
Default

I will not go through that for a dog. Then they wonder why they can't adopt them out.
simeoncoleman is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Delray Beach, FL & Key Largo
Posts: 650
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
They do, the problems is our elected people in office. PA has real problems with breeders (Amish & Mennonite).
we bought our yellow Lab from an Amish family in PA - awesome dog. Maybe I got lucky?
EdwardB is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,654
Default

When they got the multiple choice question "What do you estimate the annual cost of dog ownership will be?" and it starts at "$100" and goes to "$1000+", if you pick anything less that "$1000+", then you probably should expect a visit/reference check. Between annual exam, shots, monthly medications, food and treats, $1000/year seems like a good deal. Here is my girl.


savedbygrace6868 likes this.
uncljohn is offline  
Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,389
Default

Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post
we bought our yellow Lab from an Amish family in PA - awesome dog. Maybe I got lucky?
One of the problems with the Amish is they don't view dogs as pets. They view them like cattle, breed them, raise them and when they aren't sold at 10-12 weeks and they need to keep feeding them which cost them money they kill them. The rescue I work with has some ties to Amish breeders, its "Understood" we will take any pups not sold.
FASTFJR is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread