Notices
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Capt Grady 23 Gulfstream
  • 1 Post By autobaun70

Killing clover in a lawn?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:30 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 152
Default Killing clover in a lawn?

Currently stationed near Seattle. Moved into the home two years ago. There was 14 days between the closing and when we moved up here, figured it wouldn't matter if water was off since its the Pacific Northwest and always rains. Didn't know there is no rain in the summer and we arrived to a brown lawn. Got a lot of the grass to come back since then but also have a ton of clover now. Any tips on how to kill it without hurting the grass? My wife's pregnant and I have two little kids, so she prefers organic crap for the lawn/garden. If the best solution is non-organic, I can just sneak it on there if I have to. Thanks.
Tread_Head57 is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by Tread_Head57 View Post
Currently stationed near Seattle. Moved into the home two years ago. There was 14 days between the closing and when we moved up here, figured it wouldn't matter if water was off since its the Pacific Northwest and always rains. Didn't know there is no rain in the summer and we arrived to a brown lawn. Got a lot of the grass to come back since then but also have a ton of clover now. Any tips on how to kill it without hurting the grass? My wife's pregnant and I have two little kids, so she prefers organic crap for the lawn/garden. If the best solution is non-organic, I can just sneak it on there if I have to. Thanks.
So you're willing to sneak it into your fetus, and onto you present children, better think again on that choice.
Eastport205 likes this.
Capt Grady 23 Gulfstream is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 76
Default

If you are patient and careful when you apply it vinegar (hardware store type not grocery store) is a pretty effective herbicide. It is like 20% acetic acid instead of 5% if I remember correctly. I have used it on a variety of broad leaf weeds here in Texas with good results.
mcp1810 is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:27 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 2,137
Default

Weedmaster. Follow the label. The clover will roll in 3-5 days. Won’t harm the grass.

most of our grasses are cool season. So, unless watered, they go dormant Aug-Sept, maybe even July. The weedy stuff persists.
wdlfbio is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,615
Default

Originally Posted by Tread_Head57 View Post
Currently stationed near Seattle. Moved into the home two years ago. There was 14 days between the closing and when we moved up here, figured it wouldn't matter if water was off since its the Pacific Northwest and always rains. Didn't know there is no rain in the summer and we arrived to a brown lawn. Got a lot of the grass to come back since then but also have a ton of clover now. Any tips on how to kill it without hurting the grass? My wife's pregnant and I have two little kids, so she prefers organic crap for the lawn/garden. If the best solution is non-organic, I can just sneak it on there if I have to. Thanks.
Not sure what type grass you have but Speed Zone will kill it. Just put some out on Sunday, 1oz./gal.
back at it is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,942
Default

2-4-d. Just go by the label and pay attention to the dry/reentry times. Wait until the next day and you are definitely good. Organic is entirely too labor extensive for a lawn.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 991
Default

I second 2-4-d works very well if properly used
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,942
Default

One caveat with 2-4-d. If you have any grapes, keep it well away from them once there is leaf growth on them. And as with all chemicals, the label is the law.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:20 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,542
Default

Scott's in the bright yellow bag. I have a handful of small spots yearly and use it only where the clover is. Check weather - need 2 days minimum w/o rain and apply it to well moistened areas. I usually get it when the dew is on the grass early morning.

It works
magua is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:24 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 651
Default

Why would you want to kill the clover?

it is green and it puts nitrogen back into the soil.
Wood boat builder is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,942
Default

Originally Posted by magua View Post
Scott's in the bright yellow bag. I have a handful of small spots yearly and use it only where the clover is. Check weather - need 2 days minimum w/o rain and apply it to well moistened areas. I usually get it when the dew is on the grass early morning.

It works
That's just granular 2-4-d & fertilizer. Not a bad product at all, just overpriced for what it is. Generic 2-4-D is stupid cheap.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,942
Default

Originally Posted by Wood boat builder View Post
Why would you want to kill the clover?

it is green and it puts nitrogen back into the soil.
Ugly when mixed in with turf grass. Especially when it's blooming.
magua likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:32 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deltona FL
Posts: 2,065
Default

Originally Posted by magua View Post
Scott's in the bright yellow bag. I have a handful of small spots yearly and use it only where the clover is. Check weather - need 2 days minimum w/o rain and apply it to well moistened areas. I usually get it when the dew is on the grass early morning.

It works
Save your money,
Tractor supply and pick 2-4-D follow instructions. If it is just sports use a pump sprayer.

Scott's is 2-4-d

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
ComponentsCAS-NoWeight %Sulphur, S7704-34-97-132,
4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D)94-75-71.21(R)-2-(4-Chloro-2-methylphenoxy)propionic acid (Mecoprop-p)
16484-77-80.61Potassium sulphate, K2SO47778-80-55-10
Ammonium phosphate7722-76-11-5Ammonium sulphate, (NH4)2SO47783-20-230-60Urea57-13-630-60
rdmallory is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,542
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
That's just granular 2-4-d & fertilizer. Not a bad product at all, just overpriced for what it is. Generic 2-4-D is stupid cheap.
Originally Posted by rdmallory View Post
Save your money,
Tractor supply and pick 2-4-D follow instructions. If it is just sports use a pump sprayer.

Scott's is 2-4-d

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
ComponentsCAS-NoWeight %Sulphur, S7704-34-97-132,
4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D)94-75-71.21(R)-2-(4-Chloro-2-methylphenoxy)propionic acid (Mecoprop-p)
16484-77-80.61Potassium sulphate, K2SO47778-80-55-10
Ammonium phosphate7722-76-11-5Ammonium sulphate, (NH4)2SO47783-20-230-60Urea57-13-630-60

Me give that try.

Thanks
magua is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:46 AM
  #15  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,730
Default

Originally Posted by magua View Post
Me give that try.

Thanks
Understand your hesitation, I have a few times tried other products than Scotts and have always regretted it. It simply works better IMO than anything else.
mikeloew is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:53 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 2,583
Default

Other Weed-be-gone clover killer. Comes in a hose-spray bottle. Just hook up the garden hose and spray. I was inundated with clover; probably 50% saturated. It took me 2 applications to kill it all. It left a ton of bald spots, but the grass is starting to recover. I have St. Augustine, which is pretty aggressive, but I will probably overseed.

I followed up with Scotts bonus S weed and feed. I will probably hit it again next month. Need to work on some crabgrass areas.

It didn't seem to bother the trees. except 1 Date Palm. But It's starting to recover.
popeyeiii is offline  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,942
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
Understand your hesitation, I have a few times tried other products than Scotts and have always regretted it. It simply works better IMO than anything else.
It's good fertilizer. Much better than the generic 10-10-10. For a small area the scotts system works pretty good, and isn't horribly expensive. Once you start talking 1/2 acre or more, it is insanely expensive. There are good turf suppliers such as Site One Landscape Supply (formerly Lesco) that have products of good quality, at much better pricing than the retail bagged scotts stuff. Some home depot locations also carry a limited supply of Lesco fertilizers. A few more bucks than at Site One, but not bad.
autobaun70 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread