Notices
Like Tree10Likes

Reel mowers ?

Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default Reel mowers ?

Buddy of mine just put down a good bit of Zoysia and wants to get a residential reel mower. Small lot maybe 1/3 of an acre, allegedly reel mowers are best. Anyone with experience? I’ll probably be in the same boat when new house is built so curious as well. I don’t want a lawn service hacking up $15K in sod.
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 12,025
Default

Unless there is a 8,000 sq ft ranch on the property, or something else instead of grass a one third acre property is an awful lot of grass to do with a non-motorized reel mower.

I had the same size lot with a ranch of less than 2,000 sq ft ranch and a single driveway. Admittedly it was a moist lot where the grass grew fast and thick. I had a self propelled standard size mower.

I enjoy that type of manual labor on my own house much more than most. But it was a workout on a hot day.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:02 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 915
Default

Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Unless there is a 8,000 sq ft ranch on the property, or something else instead of grass a one third acre property is an awful lot of grass to do with a non-motorized reel mower.

I had the same size lot with a ranch of less than 2,000 sq ft ranch and a single driveway. Admittedly it was a moist lot where the grass grew fast and thick. I had a self propelled standard size mower.

I enjoy that type of manual labor on my own house much more than most. But it was a workout on a hot day.
Motorized https://www.mowersdirect.com/Califor...er/p82167.html

xl883lo is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:07 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 922
Default

Yeah, I had one briefly and it sucked. It will just bend over anything that's an inch taller than anything else around it. And it'll be a b!tch to push through Zoysia.

I couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.
mtty likes this.
Knoxes is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:12 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

We’re thinking self propelled for sure.
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 915
Default

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
We’re thinking self propelled for sure.
My link above

xl883lo is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 02:19 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

Originally Posted by xl883lo View Post
Thanks will check those out.
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,130
Default

Originally Posted by Badbagger View Post
Thanks will check those out.
had a motorized unit similiar to the one linked, for some reason I think ours was a Toro but I can’t remember, it’s been a while ago.

If I’m remembering correctly it basically had a clutch for the reel and then two clutches for drive “wheels” on the rear operated with your thumbs. Might have just been a single drive clutch, really can’t remember.

great cut on zoysia or bermuda, although personally I wouldn’t mess with for bermuda, it does make more sense for zoysia.

Have to keep the cylinder sharp. Maintenance was more involved than a regular push mower too.

They also make pull behind set ups - may be worth looking into for a little larger lot.
Badbagger likes this.
JCM 1420 is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,110
Default

Most people don't know the difference between Zoysia and Bermuda--except the Bermuda has got to be cut twice a week in the heat of the summer when properly fertilized.

Reel mowers should be reserved for golf courses for very, very short cuts. And it's maintained by professional turf managers. Their reel mowers are hydraulically powered and Toro is the giant in those fields. Every Toro dealer has a reel mower sharpener machine that runs all day long sharpening reels.

If the yard is not very large, just get yourself a Honda self propelled mower with the grasscatcher. They don't come any better as the grass catcher is like a vacuum--taking up all the clippings. They also have a very long lifespan.
Bamaman is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

Thanks JC.
Slamdancer likes this.
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 327
Default

As others have said, they are a lot of work. When I was at UGA I worked for the grounds crew cutting the stadiums. We had big five gang fairway mowers and they were a pain in the ass to keep up and running and we had a big budget. We had one walk behind that we used for the infield of the baseball field. You will need to spend some time and money topdressing your lawn to get it level before you ever run a reel over it. As noted, they won't cut grass over about 1.5" tall.

It is doable, but it is a major pain in the ass and a bunch of work. If done correctly the end result will be great and the envy of the neighbors. Good luck.
Badbagger likes this.
Wavehight is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 527
Default

If it is the zoysia they are putting down for residential yards around here, it looks more like centipede than Bermuda The mower in the link above has 7 blades, golf course mowers have 9 or 11, so the cut is much finer.

bamaman has the right idea
mulberryg is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 124
Default

I will admit I am not familiar with Zoysia grass, BUT, I grew up cutting 5-7 acres of lawn an have used just about every type of mower there is. Now that my current house has a small lot and really hate mowing, LOL. I have been thinking of one of these. I drive by a lawn and garden center that uses them and the section that is mowed by it looks just beautiful!

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...c-lawn-mowers/
Badbagger likes this.
streeter69 is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 06:19 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

That’ll free up time
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:20 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,436
Default

Just put new zoysia lawn in this past October , found a crazy deal on a trucut 27 reel mower on Craigslist . Thing is bad ass, 3k mower for 500 bucks, basically new. All other reel mowers either cut too low(made for Bermuda) or are too light weigh for zoysiat. Trucut is your best option. I just learned how to backlap and sharpen it, and discovered a huge assortment of new herbicides.

Check out thelawnforum.com

.

.
proine17 likes this.

Last edited by OffshoreApparel.com; 05-17-2019 at 08:28 PM.
OffshoreApparel.com is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,042
Default

I can't imagine a homeowner having to keep the blades and bed knives sharp.

Can be done, you can buy a contraption, but nothing beats a professional that does it everyday.
nccoaster is online now  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,436
Default

Originally Posted by nccoaster View Post
I can't imagine a homeowner having to keep the blades and bed knives sharp.

Can be done, you can buy a contraption, but nothing beats a professional that does it everyday.
It’s easy, all you do is hook it up to a drill and spin it backwards with a lapping compound. Took me 20 min and razor sharp.
OffshoreApparel.com is online now  
Old 05-18-2019, 03:13 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

Originally Posted by OffshoreApparel.com View Post
Just put new zoysia lawn in this past October , found a crazy deal on a trucut 27 reel mower on Craigslist . Thing is bad ass, 3k mower for 500 bucks, basically new. All other reel mowers either cut too low(made for Bermuda) or are too light weigh for zoysiat. Trucut is your best option. I just learned how to backlap and sharpen it, and discovered a huge assortment of new herbicides.

Check out thelawnforum.com

.

.
Thanks !
Badbagger is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 600
Default

Couple things to do first if your going to use a reel mower. First is top dressing, its very important for several reasons. It's a must if your going to use a reel with a short cut. It also keeps the thatch in check. Then use a growth regulator monthly. I use Primo but there are several kinds. I spray monthly and only cut about 1/4" weekly.
JoCo34 is offline  
Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 6,348
Default

Originally Posted by JoCo34 View Post
Couple things to do first if your going to use a reel mower. First is top dressing, its very important for several reasons. It's a must if your going to use a reel with a short cut. It also keeps the thatch in check. Then use a growth regulator monthly. I use Primo but there are several kinds. I spray monthly and only cut about 1/4" weekly.
Thanks I watched a YouTube vid on top dressing last week, pretty important for sure.
Badbagger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread