Notices
Like Tree78Likes

Pretty Bad Day

Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default Pretty Bad Day

Working at home. Went to fix the first tomater sammich of the season for lunch. Got the tomaters all sliced and ready to go Went to grab the Duke's. I looked. And I looked. And, in a slight panic...looked some more.

THERE WAS NONE!! I confronted my wife about this, who relayed that it was "almost" out the other day so she tossed it. YOU DO NOT THROW AWAY DUKE'S UNTIL THERE IS REPLACEMENT DUKE'S!!!! One can always scrape the jar in an emergency such as this.

This discussion is NOT over.




Side note...anyone know what to do with a Duke's-less tomater? I guess I can just toss it.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,318
Default

Got any Kraft, you know, the "real Mayonnaise" ?
spraynet 1 and dick bourbon like this.
bills106 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 797
Default

Shouldn't the wife be making the sandwich?
Joenic is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:06 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
Got any Kraft, you know, the "real Mayonnaise" ?
YUCK!

Originally Posted by Joenic View Post
Shouldn't the wife be making the sandwich?
Yes but she's at work...where she oughta be.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,150
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Working at home. Went to fix the first tomater sammich of the season for lunch. Got the tomaters all sliced and ready to go Went to grab the Duke's. I looked. And I looked. And, in a slight panic...looked some more.

THERE WAS NONE!! I confronted my wife about this, who relayed that it was "almost" out the other day so she tossed it. YOU DO NOT THROW AWAY DUKE'S UNTIL THERE IS REPLACEMENT DUKE'S!!!! One can always scrape the jar in an emergency such as this.

This discussion is NOT over.




Side note...anyone know what to do with a Duke's-less tomater? I guess I can just toss it.
Salt, Pepper, slice of cheese.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,159
Default

Time to bust some balls.

Strange how you can type on a computer with two broken legs and and two broken arms, but can't get in your car and get to a grocery store.
Best Tomato and Mayo sandwich recipe:
Lather mayo on two slices of bread. Add slices of tomato. Throw away two slices of mayo'd bread with tomato on them. Get two new slices of bread. Put some mustard on one slice. Add some form of meat; roast beef, ham, turkey, whatever. Add a slice of complimentary to your choice of meat cheese. Swiss or cheddar go well with most. Put other slice of bread on and enjoy a real sandwich.
JKBrad and MonarkBoats like this.
Locke N Load is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Salt, Pepper, slice of cheese.
I just went with the salt & pepper. It wasn't bad (the mater was good), but it was still lacking.

Qb1rdman and THT Mod 9 like this.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default

Originally Posted by Locke N Load View Post
Time to bust some balls.

Strange how you can type on a computer with two broken legs and and two broken arms, but can't get in your car and get to a grocery store.
Best Tomato and Mayo sandwich recipe:
Lather mayo on two slices of bread. Add slices of tomato. Throw away two slices of mayo'd bread with tomato on them. Get two new slices of bread. Put some mustard on one slice. Add some form of meat; roast beef, ham, turkey, whatever. Add a slice of complimentary to your choice of meat cheese. Swiss or cheddar go well with most. Put other slice of bread on and enjoy a real sandwich.
Ha...your recipe is good for the first two steps, but after that it falls apart.

Store is too far...takes a good half hour to get there and back. Ain't nobody got time for that.

NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,242
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post

Side note...anyone know what to do with a Duke's-less tomater? I guess I can just toss it.
Feed it to the dog, at least someone will be happy.
NCSUboater likes this.
Garett is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,318
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
YUCK!
Tough to please huh, wouldn't expect less from My old Alma matter!

OK, this is going to take a little work;
First grill up a nice juicy burger, and some onions on the side. While grilling, toast a couple slices of sourdough bread. Then stack burger with a slice of cheddar under, smother with onions and tomato on top with another a slice of cheddar. Butter both sides of bread and sear both sides in a frying pan until golden and cheese is melted.

Your welcome!
NCSUboater likes this.
bills106 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 5,333
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
YUCK!



Yes but she's at work...where she oughta be.
her ass oughta be at the grocery store replacing the dukes!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 3,230
Default

Prayers are with you. Stay strong brother. Lean on friends and other family members.
bigjohnnc likes this.
Ahoy Vay is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: JAX FL
Posts: 2,001
Default

Who’s fault was it that you were also out of bacon and lettuce?
SHAMROCK69 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Texas
Posts: 580
Default

WTH is a tomato sandwich? Sounds like you are missing a lot more than just the Dukes
RhodyFirsh401 and Dun like this.
Jonboater is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
her ass oughta be at the grocery store replacing the dukes!
I've asked her nicely to make a pit stop (she's 7 months pregnant...I need to watch it here)

Originally Posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
Prayers are with you. Stay strong brother. Lean on friends and other family members.
It's gonna be tough, but I think I'll pull through.

Originally Posted by SHAMROCK69 View Post
Who’s fault was it that you were also out of bacon and lettuce?
Hmmm...that's a good point. We don't have any bacon in the fridge currently.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:31 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 929
Default

As much as I love Duke's, there's nothing like fresh homemade mayo. Pretty easy and quick to make. And then you wouldn't have to eat that abomination of a mayo-less tomato sandwich.
Boataholic and YeOldeStonecat like this.
Knoxes is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,150
Default

Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
As much as I love Duke's, there's nothing like fresh homemade mayo. Pretty easy and quick to make. And then you wouldn't have to eat that abomination of a mayo-less tomato sandwich.
The man makes a good point.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,456
Default

Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
As much as I love Duke's, there's nothing like fresh homemade mayo. Pretty easy and quick to make. And then you wouldn't have to eat that abomination of a mayo-less tomato sandwich.
You are right about that...good stuff if done properly.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 373
Default

No such thing as a sammich without some form of meat. For God's sake at least put some bacon on that thing.
BahrTender is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:40 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,152
Default

Need to keep some of those little tinfoil packs hidden in the back of a drawer somewhere. I don't like keeping around fast food condiments, but an exception can be made for Dukes.

That said, you need to evaluate your Duke's inventory management system. For this I will save you the trouble of bring in an IE, and just 'splain how that works. The replacement Duke's is bought at the time of the next trip to the store following the prior jar moving from the pantry to the fridge. If such a trip has not occured for other reasons (such as to buy beer, bacon or whitebread......yes, whitebread is a single word) within 3 days of said occurrence, a special trip must take place within 24 hours (check beer, bacon, & whitebread supply before going). To insure freshness at all times, forego the large 48oz value sized jars (with the exception of during peak tomato season, in which case gallon size is fine, just avoid the heavy duty variety as it has added sugar and tastes like Hellman's), and stick to the smaller quart sized jars. Also, it is the responsibility of the party that moves the jar from the pantry to the fridge to immediately notify all other members of the family at the time of said occurrence, under penalty of public shaming (or sexual favors assuming they are the spouse). Due to the seriousness of the situation, a postnuptial agreement outlining this may be appropriate. If you do take the effort to protect your future culinary interests via signed contract, I would go ahead and right in details about light/olive oil/etc. varieties being inappropriate in every case, and the purchase of Kraft or Hellman's being subject to death by stoning, unless for some God forsaken reason you find yourself temporarily above the Mason Dixon Line.

Edit to add......since you are working from home, and it's almost friday anyway, this unfortunate situation is a perfectly acceptable reason to start day drinking.
autobaun70 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread