Notices
Like Tree162Likes

Remember when?

Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 AM
  #141  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 100
Default

Big money in ‘68


oceandansar and mikeloew like this.
ttwo is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 AM
  #142  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Struggleville
Posts: 7,525
Default

Seems the only thing I can remember now a days is pain, remembering anything before that just doesn't seem real anymore.
Bugbuster is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM
  #143  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,077
Default

Any one remember “Billy Blastoff”, astronaut toy with all kinds of powered accessories ?
Never owned it myself but man that was a cool toy...
Mpellet is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 AM
  #144  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post
Any one remember “Billy Blastoff”, astronaut toy with all kinds of powered accessories ?
Never owned it myself but man that was a cool toy...
Nope but I had Estes rockets. After the thrill of building and launching rockets to spec wore off, I performed lots of “scientific” experiments which usually Involved some form of explosive device. Started by substituting firecrackers for the parachute with ignition from the ejection charge. Low rate of success with that method. Then progressed to using a lantern battery with 2 starters, one for the motor and one for the firecracker or cherry bomb. That worked better with a success rate of about 20% launch/blast, 50% launch no blast, 20% blast no launch and 10% nothing. Fire crackers lit more reliably but cherry bomb much more fun.
ttwo is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM
  #145  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,077
Default

Originally Posted by ttwo View Post

Nope but I had Estes rockets. After the thrill of building and launching rockets to spec wore off, I performed lots of “scientific” experiments which usually Involved some form of explosive device. Started by substituting firecrackers for the parachute with ignition from the ejection charge. Low rate of success with that method. Then progressed to using a lantern battery with 2 starters, one for the motor and one for the firecracker or cherry bomb. That worked better with a success rate of about 20% launch/blast, 50% launch no blast, 20% blast no launch and 10% nothing. Fire crackers lit more reliably but cherry bomb much more fun.



Estes Rockets are without doubt a gateway drug. If used as advertised are relatively safe BUT in the hands of the young male mind, a recipe for trouble. We used to take a plastic soda bottle with screw on cap fill it a 1/3 with gasoline and dish soap. Shake vigorously and then notch the neck so we could get the ignition wires in the bottle, connected to an Estes micro rocket motor. We would get behind cover and push the button. Sometimes the mix ignited from the engine, some times no, but when it did ignite, we had a friggin napalm explosion.

The whole rocket thing kinda peaked in 8th grade. We were in my buddy’s basement and he had hundreds if not thousands of match heads already packed into an old CO2 cartridge when it exploded. Basement looked like a Kiss Concert when everyone sparked up lighters but this was burning match heads EVERYWHERE and a huge cloud of stinky sulfur smoke. I giggled for about a second until I saw my buddy’s white Levi corduroy pants covered in blood as he was bent over with his hands between his legs. Pulled his hand out and I could see THROUGH IT, as in good sized hole through the palm, complete with bones, tendons or whatever dangling and blood flowing.

Bad day for sure, amazingly my friend kept the hand and all fingers. After a series of operations, he had almost normal use of the hand, albeit with awful scaring and some deformity. Didn’t effect him much and was a decent basketball player.

That kind of did it for my days as Wernher von Braun/Robert Oppenheimer.
mikeloew, ttwo and Rico2 like this.
Mpellet is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 AM
  #146  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 100
Default

At around age 14 or so I got one of the souvenir miniature brass cannons from Mystic Seaport and promptly modified it by drilling out the rest of the bore and drilling a tiny hole in top for a firecracker fuse. Started off with emptying firecrackers and packing wadding but progressed to black powder from a can you could buy at any hardware or sporting goods store. Got tired of just a bang and smoke so started firing tiny bearing balls( there was a div of GM in town that made them so supply was never a problem). Lost of fun for a couple days but as the saying goes “it’s all fun til someone loses an...”, fortunately that didn’t happen but a dam close call.
ttwo is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM
  #147  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 4,077
Default

Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
At around age 14 or so I got one of the souvenir miniature brass cannons from Mystic Seaport and promptly modified it by drilling out the rest of the bore and drilling a tiny hole in top for a firecracker fuse. Started off with emptying firecrackers and packing wadding but progressed to black powder from a can you could buy at any hardware or sporting goods store. Got tired of just a bang and smoke so started firing tiny bearing balls( there was a div of GM in town that made them so supply was never a problem). Lost of fun for a couple days but as the saying goes “it’s all fun til someone loses an...”, fortunately that didn’t happen but a dam close call.
Similar theme to all of these sorts activities and usually reaching the same conclusion with at the very best possible outcome, participants being just scared shitless, however it’s typically incredibly entertaining getting there.

From what I’ve read and seen, even the boys who worked on the Manhattan Project ended up in the scared shitless zone along with a few deaths and radiation poisonings along the way......

Last edited by Mpellet; 05-22-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Mpellet is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM
  #148  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At end of the Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 342
Default

Originally Posted by Mersiles View Post
I grew up in a very rural area of SW Roanoke Va on the side of a mountain.
Sounds like the Hanging Rock area!

P.S. I grew up on the outskirts of Roanoke too. I wont go into all the shenanigans we raised because I'm not 100% sure to statute of limitations has expired on all of them yet.

Wingnutt is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM
  #149  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl
Posts: 4,254
Default

Originally Posted by LWLoadie View Post
I was a BAD teenager...how I'm not dead is a miracle.
Same here... When I turned 30, my Dad gave me $30K. It was from the cash value of the policy he had on me when I was a kid. "I wasn't sure either of us were going survive" is what he told me.
Mersiles is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM
  #150  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl
Posts: 4,254
Default

Originally Posted by Wingnutt View Post
Sounds like the Hanging Rock area!

P.S. I grew up on the outskirts of Roanoke too. I wont go into all the shenanigans we raised because I'm not 100% sure to statute of limitations has expired on all of them yet.

Very cool.. I was at Mason's Knob. The spot we used to camp on was the summit where they used to hang glide. The ramp was still there back. It was toward Bent Mountain but you made a left onto Cotton Hill Rd. My HS was Cave Spring (with some Roanoke Catholic mixed in to straighten me out).
Mersiles is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 AM
  #151  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

I remember when people didn't use vulgar language (could be subjective) in every sentence as part of their daily vocabulary.
Not that it offends me, it's just another piece of the puzzle that shapes their character.


.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM
  #152  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

My brother and I had a Six Finger.




.
ttwo and Chris Craft Cutlass like this.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:20 AM
  #153  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

Had these also.






.
Mpellet and buxa like this.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM
  #154  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 102
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post

Did anyone else have one of these?
I had one that looked just like that but with a clear canopy.
My little brother had the moon rover.
Jus Teasin likes this.
gwilliams is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:00 AM
  #155  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 739
Default

We used to take the model rockets and swap a handful of red dot gunpowder for the parachute and wadding.
When that ejection charge went off, you had an awesome ball of flame.
Kind of a one-time-use type thing though.
superjag is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:37 AM
  #156  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,931
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
My brother and I had a Six Finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVzs0lEULs



.
I had one of those too!
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:36 PM
  #157  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 100
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
My brother and I had a Six Finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVzs0lEULs



.
Teacher took mine away
ttwo is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM
  #158  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 373
Default

Originally Posted by 240 LTS View Post
My brother and I had a Six Finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVzs0lEULs



.
Never had it and never heard of it but man that commercial gets my vote for best ever
Chris Craft Cutlass is offline  
Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM
  #159  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 568
Default

we tapped bottle rockets to the wings or main beam of balsa wood gliders or the rubber band driven prop planes.
they usually dived back down at us when the rockets took over
99yam40 is offline  
Old 05-24-2019, 06:04 AM
  #160  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mathews County, VA
Posts: 444
Default

I thought this was appropriate. . .
Mpellet and Gatorinthenoog like this.
RivaHaven is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread