Notices

US Airports to Avoid

Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Kent, VA
Posts: 2,449
Received 274 Likes on 148 Posts
Default US Airports to Avoid

I was thinking posting this thread after a recent disaster going through Philly. My top two worst US airports are Newark and Philly. I see in the news today its official, Newark is the worst. Not only that, both of these airports are filthy.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...-airports-2019

What say you?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:49 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,052
Received 3,172 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Default

I have always hated DFW.

Last edited by Lorne Greene; 05-14-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,487
Received 582 Likes on 338 Posts
Default

Almost every time I travel internationally (to first world countries) I come home and am reminded what crapholes US airports are, how we have allowed ourselves to be treated like cattle, and how "customer service" is nonexistent.

I'm generally treated worse by staff in my local airports than I am in any other airport in the world, possible exception being the time I had to drop $400 to bribe a "third world" customs official to let me through with my work laptops. Even then he was very polite about it, to the point that it took me 10 minutes to understand he was looking for a payout.

LAX is down there with Newark. FLL and MIA not much better, although MIA has improved a LOT over the last 10 years.

Last edited by Flot; 05-14-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kenberma
Posts: 651
Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
I was thinking posting this thread after a recent disaster going through Philly. My top two worst US airports are Newark and Philly. I see in the news today its official, Newark is the worst. Not only that, both of these airports are filthy.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...-airports-2019

What say you?
Newark X2
Boston sucks too (but not as bad)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 812
Received 867 Likes on 424 Posts
Default

LaGuardia or “LaGarbage” as called by airline crews.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 698
Received 1,032 Likes on 565 Posts
Default

DFW...... because that means you're probably flying American.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 405
Likes: 0
Received 212 Likes on 97 Posts
Default

For me O'Hare is avoid if at all possible.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SWFL
Posts: 1,548
Likes: 0
Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

They have done a lot of work at the Philadelphia airport. Half of it is still a sh*thole but the other half is pretty nice. I remember having to fly through there with work there was broken windows and birds flying around the terminal.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,764
Received 1,063 Likes on 566 Posts
Default

Miami, it's like an airport in a 3rd world country.

.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 212
Received 333 Likes on 139 Posts
Default

Newark, Philly, Atlanta. Logan
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location:
Posts: 309
Likes: 0
Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Flot said it best...... Compared to International Airports ours just plain suck.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,731
Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cwellman View Post
They have done a lot of work at the Philadelphia airport. Half of it is still a sh*thole but the other half is pretty nice. I remember having to fly through there with work there was broken windows and birds flying around the terminal.
Was through there in March, at my gate there were birds flying around and bird crap on most of the seats. A disgrace.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 447
Received 199 Likes on 126 Posts
Default

I must have gotten lucky at Newark, I'll get to roll those dice again next month. The only airport I avoid like the plague is LAX, not for the airport itself, but for the delays and problems to and from it. I do agree customer service and security is better in many other countries I've visited.

A quick $100 bill was all I needed to board a plane with the pilot in Peru after missing my original flight, best customer service I've ever experienced!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,901
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Default

I hate Houston and Atlanta. I love BWI and Ft. Lauderdale.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 48
Likes: 0
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Philadelphia- a bus to go between terminals to catch connecting flights? Sucks walking half a mile, then waiting on a bus to take you to your gate, especially since I always seem to have only 30 minutes connection time.
Burlington, VT- Better bring your own food. There are no options there, unless you want to spend outrageous amounts of money on granola or vegan food.
Dallas Love Field- I'm not a big fan of having to drive through a ton of red lights to get to an airport. No freeway access to an airport that size makes for an aggravating trip.
El Paso- Ok, the airport is actually pretty nice, but for some reason, they decided to put it in El Paso, which is terrible.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM
  #16  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,489
Received 1,066 Likes on 629 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
Almost every time I travel internationally (to first world countries) I come home and am reminded what crapholes US airports are, how we have allowed ourselves to be treated like cattle, and how "customer service" is nonexistent.

I'm generally treated worse by staff in my local airports than I am in any other airport in the world, possible exception being the time I had to drop $400 to bribe a "third world" customs official to let me through with my work laptops. Even then he was very polite about it, to the point that it took me 10 minutes to understand he was looking for a payout.

LAX is down there with Newark. FLL and MIA not much better, although MIA has improved a LOT over the last 10 years.
Amen! The least hospitable country to enter in the world is the USA - hands down. Even citizens are treated like a combination of cattle and suspects.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,906
Likes: 0
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shadco View Post
Miami, it's like an airport in a 3rd world country.

.
x2, all counter people claim to not speak English.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:33 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Saunderstown / Pt Judith, RI
Posts: 2,138
Received 1,126 Likes on 631 Posts
Default

newark, philly, ohare, miami, houston, atlanta
Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,134
Likes: 0
Received 3,873 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Default

Houston is always a PIA; love Palm Beach International.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Iceland
Posts: 103
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
I was thinking posting this thread after a recent disaster going through Philly. My top two worst US airports are Newark and Philly. I see in the news today its official, Newark is the worst. Not only that, both of these airports are filthy.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...-airports-2019

What say you?
The short answer is ALL OF THEM. Worst in the bunch are those on the right and left coasts. Not so bad on the interior except for DFW and ORD.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.