The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   WEED experts need your help. (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/1007981-weed-experts-need-your-help.html)

Chevymanrc 05-13-2019 05:59 PM

WEED experts need your help.
 
NOT the type of weed you are thinking of :rofl:. I have a back lot that for the most part is just wild grass and weeds. I keep it mowed during the summer and the past few years I have notice these 4-6 foot diameter areas of green low lying grass/weed that has runners with a slight reddish tint to them. Anyone know what I'm dealing with? Centipede, St Augustine, etc???????

I will get some pics off my phone in a few minutes.


AsurfAholic 05-13-2019 06:07 PM

Blame it on mexico

Budget 05-13-2019 06:09 PM

Look up Florentine (sp). Maybe it.

MarkDiaz 05-13-2019 06:15 PM

Virginia button weed
 
Take a dozer to your yard. Scrape it, plant sod. Repeat every 5 years, or just mow it. Go fishing. Nothing kills it without killing everything else. Good luck

Chevymanrc 05-13-2019 06:17 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...377efd662f.jpg
Small runner

ericinmich 05-13-2019 06:23 PM

Don't park your trailer over there, it will rust away...

Chevymanrc 05-13-2019 06:27 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...533c0db491.jpg

rusbob 05-13-2019 06:38 PM

Those my friend are weeds. My thoughts on weeds are that as long as they’re green and resemble grass and are on the back lot, leave em alone and keep mowing them. If you want an actual lawn on your lot it’s a bit more of a process involving turf and water.

Chevymanrc 05-13-2019 06:47 PM


Originally Posted by rusbob (Post 12523769)
Those my friend are weeds. My thoughts on weeds are that as long as they’re green and resemble grass and are on the back lot, leave em alone and keep mowing them. If you want an actual lawn on your lot it’s a bit more of a process involving turf and water.


Yeah I mow the lot every 3-4 weeks to keep it from getting out of hand. I just started noticing the big roundish patches of runners that seem to stem :grin: from a central mass. Its kinda stands out because it lays real flat and doesn't really allow any taller weeds to grow within it.

lps 05-13-2019 06:51 PM

I've got that same grass growing in my beach house "lawn" (which is more like a small coastal weed field than a lawn). It's the best of the weed grasses I have. It's sort of Centipede's or St. Augustine's ugly cousin. I don't know what it is, but if it would cover my whole lawn, I'd be happy (and it might make my neighbors happy, too).

savedbygrace6868 05-13-2019 06:54 PM

Wouldn’t Scott’s weed and feed work. I spread some on my lawn. We had lots of devils grass and dollar weeds. Almost all gone and my lawn is getting greener.

mitchell master 05-13-2019 07:16 PM

Weeds are better than dirt.

GaryDoug 05-13-2019 08:51 PM

This is just a mental issue and not any other kind. A weed is defined as a plant that is not wanted. Adjust your thinking to want the plant and it ceases to be a weed. That will be $150 for this session ;-)

Sea Daddy 05-13-2019 09:00 PM


Originally Posted by Chevymanrc (Post 12523806)
Yeah I mow the lot every 3-4 weeks to keep it from getting out of hand. I just started noticing the big roundish patches of runners that seem to stem :grin: from a central mass. Its kinda stands out because it lays real flat and doesn't really allow any taller weeds to grow within it.

Sounds like a good thing.
probably a from of centipede grass.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...34c44ae227.gif


.

flcatcher1 05-13-2019 10:03 PM

I believe that's floratam St Augustine grass.

SeaCat22 05-13-2019 10:50 PM

It looks like a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Fetherbed Bent and Northern California Sinsemilla.
It's a little harsh. Canonball it.

Southern Comfort 05-13-2019 11:22 PM


Originally Posted by SeaCat22 (Post 12524337)
It looks like a cross between Kentucky Bluegrass, Fetherbed Bent and Northern California Sinsemilla.
It's a little harsh. Canonball it.


Underrated post

CoolerFull 05-14-2019 12:10 AM

Another vote for a Floratam runner, albeit a young shoot off

alweld92 05-14-2019 04:48 AM

A very smart man once asked me,
"What do you care, as long as its green".

silverg 05-14-2019 05:04 AM

Is that like a nice girl told me one time? "They are all pink on the inside"


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.