Notices
Like Tree17Likes

Samsung galaxy s10

Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 419
Default Samsung galaxy s10

Anybody have one. I have an s7 now that I finally broke the screen. Looking to upgrade as it been a bit buggy and the battery isnt yhe best anymore. I notice they have a desktop thing that it can do when you hook up an hdmi cable. Thinking I might be able to use it like a computer for doing certain tasks. Would be nice to have a bigger screen when viewing plans in pdf files.

I don't have a computer at home and thinking if I could get my with just a phone for this long, maybe this feature would make things easier. Any body have one that can give me some feedback?

by the way, why are new phone a 1000 bucks. If I start a go fund me, will you all donate
ole_blue is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:57 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,169
Default

You're lucky they are only a grand, on this side of the ditch they are closer to 2k.
Garett is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

I picked up the Galaxy Note 9 (128gb) a while ago battery is great. I usually get a 1 1/2 days or more on a charge and I'm never running short on ram. It's on sale now for $750 @ Best Buy .I'd buy it all over again if I had to (Verizon version by the way)
Mark Y, THT Mod 9 and MichStMako like this.
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 10:28 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 1,611
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
I picked up the Galaxy Note 9 (128gb) a while ago battery is great. I usually get a 1 1/2 days or more on a charge and I'm never running short on ram. It's on sale now for $750 @ Best Buy .I'd buy it all over again if I had to (Verizon version by the way)
Agree.
THT Mod 9 likes this.
Kendall is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 10:58 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,373
Default

Originally Posted by ole_blue View Post
Anybody have one. I have an s7 now that I finally broke the screen. Looking to upgrade as it been a bit buggy and the battery isnt yhe best anymore. I notice they have a desktop thing that it can do when you hook up an hdmi cable. Thinking I might be able to use it like a computer for doing certain tasks. Would be nice to have a bigger screen when viewing plans in pdf files.

I don't have a computer at home and thinking if I could get my with just a phone for this long, maybe this feature would make things easier. Any body have one that can give me some feedback?

by the way, why are new phone a 1000 bucks. If I start a go fund me, will you all donate
Eh, their isn't much new to set it apart from the "previous" generation of phones, and I don't think it's worth the enormous premium. I went S7 to S8 to Pixel 3.

Pixel 3 is a great phone and half the cost of the S10. Stock Android is a lot better than Samsungs version on the S7/8.

Very mixed reviews out there with the desktop adapter thing. Still not much in the way of horsepower with these guys.
MattGoose is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 2,392
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Still not much in the way of horsepower with these guys.
Octa 9 9820 vs. Octa 8 8890, 8GB vs 4GB RAM, 32GB vs 256GB memory.... Not to mention 5G.
popeyeiii is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,202
Default

Haha...I just finally upgraded to a Pixel 2! From a Pixel OG .

There is no match for running Android...they just work flawlessly
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:32 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,373
Default

Originally Posted by popeyeiii View Post
Octa 9 9820 vs. Octa 8 8890, 8GB vs 4GB RAM, 32GB vs 256GB memory.... Not to mention 5G.
5G is only available in one of the S10 options, and it's $1,500.

I'm talking horsepower as compared to a laptop.

I wouldn't pay $1,000 for the S10, plus another $150 for the DeX pad. I'd

The S10 is, no doubt, an improvement on the P3 but at $599 (with deals all over the place) the P3 is much less expensive.
MattGoose is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,373
Default

Oh - and the software release difference between Google and other Android Phones is crazy.

Sitting around for nearly a year for the next version of Android to be ported over to Samsung isn't something I miss.
MattGoose is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:35 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,202
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Oh - and the software release difference between Google and other Android Phones is crazy.

Sitting around for nearly a year for the next version of Android to be ported over to Samsung isn't something I miss.
Yup. I'll never have anything different. My wife has my pixel now. Almost 4 years old and still 100% relevant with all the latest Android updates, and Google camera trickery.

And no bloatware.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Haha...I just finally upgraded to a Pixel 2! From a Pixel OG .

There is no match for running Android...they just work flawlessly
Android really is superior to Apple. My last 3 iPhones have been buggy and full of glitches(Apple solution...just wait for an update), while my Android Galaxy(s) have been flawless.
Rico2 likes this.
RyanL11 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:26 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,202
Default

Originally Posted by RyanL11 View Post
Android really is superior to Apple. My last 3 iPhones have been buggy and full of glitches(Apple solution...just wait for an update), while my Android Galaxy(s) have been flawless.
Yeah I have an iPhone for work and I gotta say...I don't know what all the fuss is about....it's glitchy and slow.
Mark Y and THT Mod 9 like this.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 199
Default phone

Originally Posted by ole_blue View Post
Anybody have one. I have an s7 now that I finally broke the screen. Looking to upgrade as it been a bit buggy and the battery isnt yhe best anymore. I notice they have a desktop thing that it can do when you hook up an hdmi cable. Thinking I might be able to use it like a computer for doing certain tasks. Would be nice to have a bigger screen when viewing plans in pdf files.

I don't have a computer at home and thinking if I could get my with just a phone for this long, maybe this feature would make things easier. Any body have one that can give me some feedback?

by the way, why are new phone a 1000 bucks. If I start a go fund me, will you all donate
You sound like a sincere person, of course I'll help. right after I help less needy ones
ylyl1943 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Yeah I have an iPhone for work and I gotta say...I don't know what all the fuss is about....it's glitchy and slow.
Just wait until you phone constantly will have issues making phone calls. Common problem and a glitch with the phone app.
RyanL11 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,153
Default

Originally Posted by MattGoose View Post
Oh - and the software release difference between Google and other Android Phones is crazy.

Sitting around for nearly a year for the next version of Android to be ported over to Samsung isn't something I miss.
I'm trying to convince myself that I won't miss my SD card and headphone jack, and won't mind a puny battery. We'll be switching this summer (and retiring my Samsung S7 Active) and I've been vacillating between the S10e and a Pixel.

It would be nice to have no bloatware and frequent updates. Still going back and forth.
Chimpo likes this.
jobowker is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:48 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by ole_blue View Post
Anybody have one. I have an s7 now that I finally broke the screen. :
I have had everything from the note 1 to the note 8 (recently broke the screen as well) to tablets. I wont buy another samsung product again.

Each and everyone I have had has become slower than molasses over time. I have not done any scientific proof checking but from anecdotal observations with family and friends it appears that I'm not alone.

It appears that after the next generation and a half comes out the samsung phone becomes worthless, like they purposely send an update to slow the damn thing down. Note I rarely install anything on them and especially no games. To be fair it could also be ATT doing it as I haven't really looked into finding the source of the issue.

Also have had enough of their crapware and bloatware they put on it that you cant uninstall and the lack of android support. Also their keyboard usability is crap and I really hated the edge screen that only got in the way when holding the phone which I ended up disabling.

So I just bought the unlocked google pixel 3 XL a few days ago when they had the 50% off sale for one day. Just got it today and so far so good. I also switched from att to google fi network and so far so good. Will see in a few years if buying an unlocked unbloated phone is worth it.
alfnator is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:51 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,202
Default

Originally Posted by RyanL11 View Post
Just wait until you phone constantly will have issues making phone calls. Common problem and a glitch with the phone app.
yeah I guess the iPhone has always been bad at making actual phone calls...

I've had both motorola and Samsung Androids. Never fails...after 6 months they get slow and buggy. It just isn't an issue with the Pixel.

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
I'm trying to convince myself that I won't miss my SD card and headphone jack, and won't mind a puny battery. We'll be switching this summer (and retiring my Samsung S7 Active) and I've been vacillating between the S10e and a Pixel.

It would be nice to have no bloatware and frequent updates. Still going back and forth.
SD card is completely unnecessary. I've never filled up a 32GB because everything is backed up to Google drive and/or photos, and I delete everything off the phone monthly.

Headphone jack...tbd. just started life with a Pixel 2 which doesn't have one. Most of my stuff is Bluetooth, and I did get the USB-C 3.5mm adapter if I end up needing it. At first I thought it was really stupid to not have one, but my guess is I won't really care.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,202
Default

Originally Posted by alfnator View Post
I have had everything from the note 1 to the note 8 (recently broke the screen as well) to tablets. I wont buy another samsung product again.

Each and everyone I have had has become slower than molasses over time. I have not done any scientific proof checking but from anecdotal observations with family and friends it appears that I'm not alone.

It appears that after the next generation and a half comes out the samsung phone becomes worthless, like they purposely send an update to slow the damn thing down. Note I rarely install anything on them and especially no games. To be fair it could also be ATT doing it as I haven't really looked into finding the source of the issue.

Also have had enough of their crapware and bloatware they put on it that you cant uninstall and the lack of android support. Also their keyboard usability is crap and I really hated the edge screen that only got in the way when holding the phone which I ended up disabling.

So I just bought the unlocked google pixel 3 XL a few days ago when they had the 50% off sale for one day. Just got it today and so far so good. I also switched from att to google fi network and so far so good. Will see in a few years if buying an unlocked unbloated phone is worth it.
I can guarantee you it will be worth it. The stupid skins Samsung puts over Android ruins it. I didn't realize this until experiencing pure Android on my old Pixel. It's just a much better product and doesn't slow down.

​​​​​
alfnator likes this.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: naples
Posts: 232
Default

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
I'm trying to convince myself that I won't miss my SD card and headphone jack, and won't mind a puny battery.
That was a big one for me too with going to the pixel 3 xl . In reality I never really utilized the benefits of the sdcard since I never changed them. Anytime I wanted to do a backup or get anything off the phone I connected to my computer via usb. Also with the google cloud the pictures and data are automatically backed up for you if you want.

The phone jack, the pixel does come with a jack conversion dongle so you could just keep it connected to your headphones or car . However, I always found the phone jack output to be inferior to bluetooth although bluetooth can be a pain in the Arse.

It would be nice to have no bloatware and frequent updates. Still going back and forth.
Getting rid of the bloatware and mandatory updates was a big reason why i jumped ship to an unblocked phone.

However, be warned if you go to an unblocked phone your carrier will likely take measure to punish you with lt like disabling wifi calling. This happened with me and ATT. they don't want to make it easy to not have their bloatware,updates, and cripled hardware. So now I left my other 4 accounts with att while I test my main account with google fi.

I was hesitant to go to google fi since it runs off the sprint,tmobile. and a few other networks and sprint SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS so bad that I was scared. However, today being my first day with it its not so bad because googlefi constantly checks which of the networks has the better coverage and automatically switches to the better one. SO I suspect its running off the tmobile network more often as I cant imagine sprint having better coverage than any other carrier. Today comparing connection and speeds with my att phone and googlefi phone the googlefi won the 3 times and 3 different locations I tested.





alfnator is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 1,515
Default

I have been a Galaxy guy for a long time. This time around, tired of paying the huge price, I shopped a bit.

Ended up with a Motorola G7, I've had it for a couple of months now, and love it. It was $250 at Best Buy. Verizon. I think the "other" manufacturers are catching up.

My $0.02...!
SweetD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread