Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Any LS conversion projects out there?

Notices
Like Tree13Likes

Any LS conversion projects out there?

Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,761
Default Any LS conversion projects out there?

My son and I are contemplating converting his Gen3 camaro over to an LS. Most likely a 4.8 or 5.3 out of 2000-2002 silverado, tahoe avalanche, or savannah. Interested to hear any experiences in doing such a project and how it turned out. It presently has the old 2.8 v6 which is tired and sounds like it is about to spin a bearing. All knowledgeable mechanics I have spoken to say the LS conversion is the smartest way to spend a buck and have a fun, reliable car.
1blueheron is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Why not a 5.7?
RyanL11 is online now  
Old 04-26-2019, 05:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,761
Default

Originally Posted by RyanL11 View Post
Why not a 5.7?
LS doesn't come in a 5.7
1blueheron is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:04 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 79
Default

I think it would be a great project. The wiring would be what concerns me. And the fuel pump. I had a 3rd gen that had a 2.8, and I swapped it with a 327. Fun car. It was a 5 speed that I had to get a custom clutch and bell housing for because the bell housing wouldn’t mate to the v8. Might want to think about a transmission while you’re at it.. also the 3 link type suspension with 2 control arms to the unibody and that long link bar to the transmission tail shaft, is a horrible design and should be replaced with a 4 link. If not broken transmission mounts or tail shaft might result. If you take on the motor swap keep us posted
Propmeup is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:13 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 5,612
Default

Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post
LS doesn't come in a 5.7


https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=ls1+5.7+cubic+inch

Google LS forums and learn.
THT Mod 9 likes this.
muskamoot is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:31 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL Gulf Coast & NYC
Posts: 2,581
Default

Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post
LS doesn't come in a 5.7
The first 3rd Gen small block, now referred to as the "LSx" architecture, was the LS1 in the 1997 Corvette, displacing 5.7L.

You're in the wrong place. You should be reading the Conversions and Hybrids subforum of LS1Tech.

Because the 3rd Gen platform began with the LS1, "LS" has become a ubiquitous term when referring to Gen III and Gen IV engines. In reality, each specific engine of a similar architecture has a unique code.

This link details all of the Gen III, Gen IV and Gen V engine codes along with their respective displacement (4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, etc). The 5th Gen direct injection engines are "LT" engines.

And no offense, but to say that "LS" engines weren't available in 5.7L is like saying they don't sell pizza in NYC.


EDIT: Specific to 3rd Gen F-Body swaps:

LS1 into a third gen Swap Guide

Third Gen.org LSx Swap Subforum

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 04-26-2019 at 06:43 AM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:37 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,389
Default

LS 5.7 I had was a LS6 in my zo6, and techncially a hair under 5.7, but close enough to round up, it was 345.79 inches, or 346.

I'd try to get a LS3 mill and put a cam and tune it in it. 3rd and 4th gen Camaros are tighter to wrench on compared to Corvette. Have fun with that.
CruiseToFish is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,389
Default

And a ford 9 inch cuz you'll shatter the baby rear.
Playn Hooky likes this.
CruiseToFish is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:53 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shady Hills, Fl
Posts: 366
Default

I have done 2 Jeeps. Both 5.3 LM7 drive by cable truck motors. The wiring isn't bad just follow the instructions at LT1 Swap Brendon can help with most questions and his PCM programming is fast and cheap.

I believe you will need to use a car style LS motor or swap the intake, oil pan, and belt driven accessories to get it to fit in a car.
djhnsn is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:56 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,761
Default

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
The first 3rd Gen small block, now referred to as the "LSx" architecture, was the LS1 in the 1997 Corvette, displacing 5.7L.

You're in the wrong place. You should be reading the Conversions and Hybrids subforum of LS1Tech.

Because the 3rd Gen platform began with the LS1, "LS" has become a ubiquitous term when referring to Gen III and Gen IV engines. In reality, each specific engine of a similar architecture has a unique code.

This link details all of the Gen III, Gen IV and Gen V engine codes along with their respective displacement (4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, etc). The 5th Gen direct injection engines are "LT" engines.

And no offense, but to say that "LS" engines weren't available in 5.7L is like saying they don't sell pizza in NYC.
Thanks guys for correcting me. I have created some confusion and I was wrong. I assumed he was referring to the old LT1 5.7 and I should have been more specific. The LS block based truck motors which I guess are technically "Vortex" motors and not true "LS" motors were not produced in the 5.7 variant. I am interested in using the cheap and readily available iron block truck motors of which the cheapest and most readily available are the 4.8 and the 5.3

We are not interested in paying the premium price or hunting around to find the LS1 5.7 few some more horsepower gain or saving a few pounds as we will be doubling the stock horsepower with even a 4.8 which should be plenty of giddyup for a 17 yo. in a lightweight gen3 Fbody. Any more HP and I think we are going to start twisting and breaking stuff. I do realize the LS1 is an easier fit but we are planning a hood cowl.
1blueheron is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:04 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL Gulf Coast & NYC
Posts: 2,581
Default

Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post
...The LS block based truck motors which I guess are technically "Vortex" motors and not true "LS" motors were not produced in the 5.7 variant. I am interested in using the cheap and readily available iron block truck motors of which the cheapest and most readily available are the 4.8 and the 5.3

We are not interested in paying the premium price or hunting around to find the LS1 5.7 few some more horsepower gain or saving a few pounds as we will be doubling the stock horsepower with even a 4.8 which should be plenty of giddyup for a 17 yo. in a lightweight gen3 Fbody. Any more HP and I think we are going to start twisting and breaking stuff. I do realize the LS1 is an easier fit but we are planning a hood cowl.
Trust me. You think you will be saving money by starting with a less expensive 4.8L or 5.3L iron truck block. But the reality is that even with your cowl hood, the only part of that engine you will be able to use is the long block.

The entire FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) will be unusable, because of space constraints. The truck intake will be unusable, due to height constraints. The oil pan will be unusable. It is too deep. When you start swapping intake manifolds, you have compatibility issues with injectors, fuel rails and injector and coil harnesses, etc.

All of this is to say that for a first time swapper, the simplest and by far the most cost effective way to accomplish this swap is to get a drop-out from a 4th Gen F-Body or a 2004 GTO (you will need to swap oil pans if using a 2004 GTO 5.7L).
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:42 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 95
Default

Not an ls, but I am swapping a 94 lt1 into my 83 jag.. just picked up the motor, trans, pcm, harness and all ancillaries last weekend.. price was a grand, couldn't pass it up.. so I will be following this thread to see progress

Guy even threw in radiator, dual fan setup, ac condenser, drive shaft and a brand new set of chrome block hugger headers still in the box.. will likely sell those as clearance is an issue with steering rod..

Last edited by Darrenmb; 04-26-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Darrenmb is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 2,214
Default

The LS truck engine you are likely referring to is the LM7. These are great for engine swap projects as they are very inexpensive, and can produce very good horsepower with upgrades...and they take those upgrades very well.

Here is a pretty good article for you...

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/...e-performance/
cape_fisherman is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: L.E.H. New Jersey
Posts: 609
Default

Originally Posted by 1blueheron View Post
My son and I are contemplating converting his Gen3 camaro over to an LS. Most likely a 4.8 or 5.3 out of 2000-2002 silverado, tahoe avalanche, or savannah. Interested to hear any experiences in doing such a project and how it turned out. It presently has the old 2.8 v6 which is tired and sounds like it is about to spin a bearing. All knowledgeable mechanics I have spoken to say the LS conversion is the smartest way to spend a buck and have a fun, reliable car.
As a Turbo Buick owner (think Buick Grand National), a handful of owners have turned to the LS1 platform to replace the 3.8 V6. To ME its sacrilege to swap what made the Buick special, so I've no experience, but to each their own. All I know is they are making ALOT of reliable horsepower in forced induction form. Good luck
hudiefloats is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:14 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Key Largo Fl
Posts: 933
Default

3.6+1 on LS1TECH,,, the place to be. As a sidebar,, manual or auto??

You may want to consider the new V6 the LFX,,, 325-335HP motor. It's a 3.6L, 60 degree, twin overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, direct Injected motor. Cheaper and lighter (345lb dressed) than the LSx and installed in current gen Camaros,, hell it's all across the GM line. No doubt you can make more HP in a V8 though. Don't know about going auto with this motor though,,, everyone I know doing swaps with it uses a stick. I bought a 2015 with 20K miles for $1400.

Doing a swap with one into my Scion FRS. Should have power to weight of a late model SS. No kits for this,, so I doing everything myself. Almost ready to start!


skillet64 likes this.

Last edited by gtpvettte; 04-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
gtpvettte is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bloomington, IL & Manasota Key, FL
Posts: 52
Default

There are a few 3rd Gen's running 5.3L truck motors in Camaro Mustang Challenge (NASA racing class - restricted/dyno 260HP & 310 FT TQ.) As mentioned above...you'll need all the accessories and intake from the 4th gen (5.7L) or you won't have clearance. If you're lucky...you might find an aluminum 5.3L out of Trailblazer, Olds SUV,...etc. for the same money the junk yards are getting for the iron 5.3's out of the pickups.

Carry on,

Sidney
Sidney64 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,456
Default

Originally Posted by gtpvettte View Post
3.6+1 on LS1TECH,,, the place to be. As a sidebar,, manual or auto??

You may want to consider the new V6 the LFX,,, 325-335HP motor. It's a 3.6L, 60 degree, twin overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, direct Injected motor. Cheaper and lighter (345lb dressed) than the LSx and installed in current gen Camaros,, hell it's all across the GM line. No doubt you can make more HP in a V8 though. Don't know about going auto with this motor though,,, everyone I know doing swaps with it uses a stick. I bought a 2015 with 20K miles for $1400.

Doing a swap with one into my Scion FRS. Should have power to weight of a late model SS. No kits for this,, so I doing everything myself. Almost ready to start!


Hopefully they are better than the earlier gm high feature 3.6l. Those are absolute trash.
Elgreco809 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:04 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 456
Default

LS platform is a great swap. We swapped a LSX into a 2001 Saleen Mustang. Though it is far from a stock swap, it is a very fun car.
Ianl931 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:29 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FL Gulf Coast & NYC
Posts: 2,581
Default

Originally Posted by Sidney64 View Post
... If you're lucky...you might find an aluminum 5.3L out of Trailblazer, Olds SUV,...etc. for the same money the junk yards are getting for the iron 5.3's out of the pickups...
Aluminum 5.3's (LM4 & L33) are great but they have the truck intake and truck FEAD which for this installation (3rd Gen Camaro) will present the same installation challenges as using any iron truck engine.

The OP is is going to spend more money modifying any truck engine, aluminum or iron, for this specific swap vs. starting with a 4th Gen F-body or 2004 GTO 5.7 pull-out/drop-out.
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
Aluminum 5.3's (LM4 & L33) are great but they have the truck intake and truck FEAD which for this installation (3rd Gen Camaro) will present the same installation challenges as using any iron truck engine.

The OP is is going to spend more money modifying any truck engine, aluminum or iron, for this specific swap vs. starting with a 4th Gen F-body or 2004 GTO 5.7 pull-out/drop-out.
He could just get a L98 5.7 that is designed for the 3rd gen Camaro. They are iron block and likely cheap.
RyanL11 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread