Notices
Like Tree17Likes

Termites

Old 04-23-2019, 06:01 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
slper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 4,171
Default Termites

Well, next week the house is being tented. As I've shared before we have them from wood used to rebuild a kitchen cabinets. We were told to get food out of the house, bag things up and rake the rocks away from the house in the flower beds.

Question, is it okay to leave cars in the garage? Any important tips you guys have?

Thanks,
Scott

slper is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,672
Default

Originally Posted by slper View Post
Well, next week the house is being tented. As I've shared before we have them from wood used to rebuild a kitchen cabinets. We were told to get food out of the house, bag things up and rake the rocks away from the house in the flower beds.

Question, is it okay to leave cars in the garage? Any important tips you guys have?

Thanks,
Scott
Used motor oil poured around the perimeter and you won’t have them anymore. And I didn’t tell you that!
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:25 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,739
Default

Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post


Used motor oil poured around the perimeter and you won’t have them anymore. And I didn’t tell you that!
That's not going to stop drywood termites...
Sneaky Snooker likes this.
acme54321 is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,672
Default

Originally Posted by acme54321 View Post
That's not going to stop drywood termites...
True, but also true that 95% of termite damage is due to subterranean termites.
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,104
Default

When you live in Florida, it's common knowledge that it's a when you're going to have subterranean termites versus if you're going to have them. I had a couple of infestations when I lived outside of Atlanta, and went to my buddy the exterminator for guidance.

You're scheduled for the max treatment. I would have gone for a second opinion before tenting the house. Building codes are actually stronger in most locales than required to allow for critters like termites to eat a little the home. I replaced a couple of pieces of wood and some sheet rock under a window. And I drilled the concrete across my garage door outside and sprayed into the slab.

My exterminator buddy said that so many national exterminators are more insurance companies than exterminators of pests. Those huge tanks on their trucks are just for show. You can dig a 6" x 6" trench around your house, fill it up with pea gravel and spray a termicide with a graduated yard sprayer and treat it yourself with a Cypermethrin. I have always bought my supplies from BugSpray.com which has a retail store in Stone Mountain, GA. See https://bugspray.com/termite_treatme...ermite-control

Of course, every situation is different.
GulfC and SolOps like this.
Bamaman is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
OffshoreApparel.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,395
Default

Originally Posted by TheRealMacGyver View Post


Used motor oil poured around the perimeter and you won’t have them anymore. And I didn’t tell you that!
Umm, if your going through the trouble, Termidor is kinda made for that.
OffshoreApparel.com is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 2,551
Default

Your fumigation company should have given you a list of things to do. I would remove anything that can go into your body except canned or sealed bottle things. You can put them in double plastic bags if you can't move them anywhere. Remove dishes and eating/coking utensils if you don't want to wash them all after you return. Do not forget any drugs or cough drops that may be in unusual places. You will probably have to make available a water hose to fill the tubes that help seal the tent to the ground. Remove TV antennas. The fumigators may turn on the central heat and fans to help "cook" the termites. Most companies will also put tear gas into the house to keep people out. If anyone is sensitive to remnants of that, it may take longer to go inside. Your cars in the garage should be ok. But after return, I would open the garage door and the car windows for as long as possible.
slper likes this.
GaryDoug is offline  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 4,069
Default

ok all ya'll that no it all

tent for drywood

sub not the same treatment

bang head, a shell of the hull of rumor
fijon is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ponce Inlet, FL
Posts: 543
Default

I’ve had to do both the house and the office building now, it’s not really a big deal. I tried to schedule it for a Friday so we could be back in the house on Sunday and get our life back on track. Getting all the food out is the biggest pain, the house plants we just took outside. Finding all the medicine/drug store stuff was the other one, we seem to have that spread all over the house... Don’t forget all the pet food/supplies as well if you have any fur around.

Long term, don’t let the bond expire, and keep up on the annual inspections. If the bugs come back it won’t be on your dime to get it redone.
CMS_Sprint is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,941
Default

Originally Posted by fijon View Post
ok all ya'll that no it all

tent for drywood

sub not the same treatment

bang head, a shell of the hull of rumor
yes, you treat the ground for subterranean but once they are already in the house, you have to tent the house to kill whats inside otherwise you will accomplish nothing! so in this case you have to treat the ground as well as tent the house if you want to do it right!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:13 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,941
Default

Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
Your fumigation company should have given you a list of things to do. I would remove anything that can go into your body except canned or sealed bottle things. You can put them in double plastic bags if you can't move them anywhere. Remove dishes and eating/coking utensils if you don't want to wash them all after you return. Do not forget any drugs or cough drops that may be in unusual places. You will probably have to make available a water hose to fill the tubes that help seal the tent to the ground. Remove TV antennas. The fumigators may turn on the central heat and fans to help "cook" the termites. Most companies will also put tear gas into the house to keep people out. If anyone is sensitive to remnants of that, it may take longer to go inside. Your cars in the garage should be ok. But after return, I would open the garage door and the car windows for as long as possible.
i believe the tear gas is mandated that it has to be mixed in! it a way to let you know that your consuming the chemicals, with out it you would breath it in and never know your consuming it!
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
slper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 4,171
Default

Thanks for the feedback!
slper is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 45
Default

Bifenthrin/Talstar 2x per year. Fire ants and termites gone. Dry wood different story. Tenting? Joe Dirt! Anyone?
SolOps likes this.
coop is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:23 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
yes, you treat the ground for subterranean but once they are already in the house, you have to tent the house to kill whats inside otherwise you will accomplish nothing! so in this case you have to treat the ground as well as tent the house if you want to do it right!
From what I have been told which is different from your statement

Subterranean termites MUST stay in contact with the ground somehow as they have to travel back for moisture and to get back to the nest and other reasons.

The new ground treatments cause the termites to track
it back to the nest and kill it also because it is undetectable by the termites and doesnt kill for weeks..

I HAVE NO TRAINING IN BUGS just what I have been told by a builder...

Sneaky Snooker likes this.
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 3,911
Default

They all need moisture. It's been my experience if you cut off moister and/or access paths, the risk goes down substantially. But there is no replacement for continuous inspections and treatments.
Cracker likes this.
GulfC is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:27 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: SE PA
Posts: 746
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
From what I have been told which is different from your statement

Subterranean termites MUST stay in contact with the ground somehow as they have to travel back for moisture and to get back to the nest and other reasons.

The new ground treatments cause the termites to track
it back to the nest and kill it also because it is undetectable by the termites and doesnt kill for weeks..

I HAVE NO TRAINING IN BUGS just what I have been told by a builder...

tenting is not done for sub termites, they treat the ground and any areas in the house, the Chemicals are crazy strong...shouldn’t ever have a problem again, but it certainly needs monitoring
SeeSalt is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:33 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

Originally Posted by SeeSalt View Post



tenting is not done for sub termites, they treat the ground and any areas in the house, the Chemicals are crazy strong...shouldn’t ever have a problem again, but it certainly needs monitoring
I agree. I was commenting to what was written that subterranean termites need tenting when they are in the house... Tenting does nothing for subterranean..
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 764
Default

Ok well you all are about 1/2 right. I’ve been in the biz in Fl for 34 years, have 120 Techs and we’ve treated thousands of properties for drywoods, subs, & beetles, so I’d say I’m the resident expert. We just finished fumigating 15 entire schools in Tampa and we just fumigated the New Smyrna Beach City Hall in the last 60 days.

#1 Your company should have given you a long list of instructions for both inside and outside and had you sign it as a memorandum of understanding. These lists will leave nothing to question including your car. (We like to have the vehicles outside so we don’t have to air them and clear them as well)You should also be given a Vikane Document to sign as required by law, as well as your fumigation agreement. They should also supply you with all of the Nylofume bags you need. Plastic bags cannot be used, only nylofume bags supplied by your company.

#2 Formoson Subterranean termites may require tenting. Formosons are known to create carton nests in the structure without returning to the soil. Any minor moisture obtained from a/c drip or sweating lines to a leak in a soffit will allow these super destructive termites to live without returning to the soil. For Formosons we tent and treat the soil. Normal subs do not require tents.

#3 Because the fumigant is odorless we are required by law to put in 1-2 pans of Clorpicirin (tear gas) to warn any intruders they are about to die. When your home is cleared it must have readings of less than 1ppm of Vikane or the clearing process must continue until that level is reached. Nobody keeps the heat on to bake the termites. Your company may want to run your air handler fan only to help disperse the fumigant, They will also bring portable fans.

#4 Chemicals are not crazy strong for subterranean termites. The best product currently on the market is Termidor. Compared to Chlordane which we used up until about 1987, it’s not strong at all. The best thing about Termidor is that it not repellant, so termites carry it throughout the colony unwittingly, and because they groom one another and it’s a slow killing product it has success at eliminating the colony.

#5 The fumigant leaves absolutely no residual. You will not have to wash dishes, linens or anything. Once the house is cleared the gas dissipates. To make you feel better, all of the rice, beans, vegetables and fruit are fumigated at the ports in the containers before they go to the store. Then you eat them.

#6 any food unopened and sealed in glass or cans can stay. Everything else should be bagged or removed. Any greenery underneath the tent will lose all leaves and may die. Heavy Watering of plants the day before will help with heir survival.

ask away if you have any questions. Www.apexpest.com
TheRealMacGyver likes this.
petealan is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 2,551
Default

Originally Posted by petealan View Post
Nobody keeps the heat on to bake the termites.


Terminix did exactly that one week ago for my mother's house after installing the tent for fumigation.. We asked about them turning on the heat and they said it was to "bake" them and kill them easier. Maybe you are behind the curve?

https://www.orkin.com/termites/types...reatments/heat

Last edited by GaryDoug; 04-24-2019 at 07:43 PM.
GaryDoug is offline  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach
Posts: 764
Default

Originally Posted by GaryDoug View Post
Terminix did exactly that one week ago for my mother's house. We asked about them turning on the heat and they said it was to "bake" them and kill them easier. Maybe you are behind the curve?

https://www.orkin.com/termites/types...reatments/heat
LOL behind the curve. Heat treatments have nothing to do with fumigation. Two entirely different processes. Heat treatments are b.s. If Orkin wanted to run the furnace at your moms house, it’s only because the hotter the temperature the less gas has to be used. It’s a sliding scale, we have to use more gas when it’s cooler. Maybe your Orkin man wanted to save $200 in Vikane.
BigO likes this.
petealan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread