Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

5G - Will my 4G phone be useless?

Notices
Like Tree6Likes

5G - Will my 4G phone be useless?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 PM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of NJ
Posts: 1,268
Default

Received notice last month from my building security/fire monitoring service company that Verizon will be end of lifing my 3G cellular building security monitoring systems on 12/31/2019.
Before that time I will have to upgrade to a 4G compatible security control panel. Not sure what is involved yet, I'm hoping it is only a module upgrade and not a requirement to replace the entire panel.
I realize this discussion centers around cell phones but many business services utilize embedded 3G cellular technology.
Heads up for those who may use such devices
Rags is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM
  #22  
Super Moderator
 
THT Mod 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In my mind
Posts: 8,046
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post


great info. Considering moving my wife’s phone to straight talk, and mine to the company account. Coverage has been my main concern. Pricing isn’t even comparable if coverage is similar. Her phone is an unlocked iPhone that will run on either system, but would likely be on CDMA since we know Verizon works well in the few rural areas we go.
Like I said, the Verizon side works great for me and the 25gig of data a month is nice.

Keep in mine though, even is a phone is unlocked, it has to be a Verizon based CDMA phone to use the Verizon CDMA side. If not you will have to use GSM.

T Mobile has it's own flavor of CDMA that isn't quite as compatible.

Last edited by THT Mod 9; 04-19-2019 at 01:20 PM.
THT Mod 9 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 PM
  #23  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,119
Default

Originally Posted by nccoaster View Post
I have heard that the major manufacturers will not roll until late 2021. Nothing to worry about 4g for at least 10 years, probably more.

The President has called for the US to be competitive and to roll out it quickly.

You will have more problems with the software's planned obsolescence. The more junk they put on the phones, the harder it is for older models to run the OS.
5G phones are already available. Anything with the Snapdragon 855 is 5G capable, (Galaxy S10, LG V50 ThinQ) as well as the Moto E-series phones which can snap onto a 5G accessory. I'm not sure about the medium-tier 600-series chipsets. Phones running a Snapdragon 845 aren't 5G capable.

That wouldn't stop me from buying a nice phone now with an SD 845, because it will be a few years before 5G hits a lot of areas, and by the time 5G really makes sense (5 or more years from now) all new phones will have had it for a while.
jobowker is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 02:19 PM
  #24  
Super Moderator
 
THT Mod 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In my mind
Posts: 8,046
Default

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
5G phones are already available. Anything with the Snapdragon 855 is 5G capable, (Galaxy S10, LG V50 ThinQ) as well as the Moto E-series phones which can snap onto a 5G accessory. I'm not sure about the medium-tier 600-series chipsets. Phones running a Snapdragon 845 aren't 5G capable.

That wouldn't stop me from buying a nice phone now with an SD 845, because it will be a few years before 5G hits a lot of areas, and by the time 5G really makes sense (5 or more years from now) all new phones will have had it for a while.
Actually the 855 supports 5G, but the phone also has to have a 5G modem.

https://www.cnet.com/news/no-qualcom...cally-mean-5g/
THT Mod 9 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 04:48 PM
  #25  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 8,099
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
3G is definitely still around and works well. When we go to Clemson home football games the 4G network is overwhelmed. Switch off 4G and it works perfectly all day long on 3G. As long as the phone can see 4G it tries to use it (At least my iphone does), but forcing it onto 3G insures uninterrupted service all day long.
great trick for sporting events, I'll be using this in the future.
Double tyme is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:05 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,230
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
3G is definitely still around and works well. When we go to Clemson home football games the 4G network is overwhelmed. Switch off 4G and it works perfectly all day long on 3G. As long as the phone can see 4G it tries to use it (At least my iphone does), but forcing it onto 3G insures uninterrupted service all day long.
Nope, it isn't. You can't activate a 3G phone on any of the major networks and will be forced to get a 4G phone this year. LTE will be around another 8-10 years for everything that doesn't require super high bandwidth.
caltexflanc is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 05:13 PM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,144
Default

Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Nope, it isn't. You can't activate a 3G phone on any of the major networks and will be forced to get a 4G phone this year. LTE will be around another 8-10 years for everything that doesn't require super high bandwidth.
its worked perfectly for the last 4-5 years. Has something changed? For clarity, not activating a 3g only phone, just forcing a multi band phone to exclude 4G. Essentially there is plenty of 4g signal, but a significant lack of bandwidth
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 05:30 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 4,900
Default

Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I've got 3 4G phones with Verizon using Straight Talk. Am I going to have to buy new phones? Won't 4G bandwidth open up with everyone going to 5G?
You wont need new phones but we are all gonna die from strange cancers once that 5 g is blasting evyone.
barrell is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,893
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
You wont need new phones but we are all gonna die from strange cancers once that 5 g is blasting evyone.
Not me, I've got tin foil hat ready!
ericinmich is online now  
Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 AM
  #30  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 69
Default

Looks like it will be suitable for super densely populated areas (i.e. where telecom companies will be able to profit).

https://arstechnica.com/information-...le-says/?amp=1
SOSC is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread