Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

The Last Front Engine Corvette 2019 C7 Z06

Notices
Like Tree69Likes

The Last Front Engine Corvette 2019 C7 Z06

Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 AM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,300
Default

Originally Posted by PF-88 View Post
Go with what you know, it's a tried & true design that's good enough for the application, why spend the time and money messing with a success.
The OHV small block Chevy V8 was a success in 1955. Maybe time to come up with something appealing to younger drivers, like those under 65.

My first car was a 1965 289 Mustang I bought in 1972 so I know all about pushrod V8's. Time for a change.
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 306
Default

Get your checkbook out as you will be bidding against Rick Hendrick
offroadr is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:23 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,740
Default

Are the 2020s Vettes going to be priced in line with the current generation or will they get a price hike to give more separation between them and the Camaro?
acme54321 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:23 AM
  #24  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On The Tenna Sea
Posts: 13,387
Default

Not sure why you would want to be the last guy to overpay for the last Vette that was going to be replaced with something that would make it antiquated, short of bragging rights, but it would be stupid to drive it when that's all that makes it special. It will eventually be a money maker for whoever buys it, but I'm thinking that will take a long time and only if the car remains virtually undriven.
Freeebird is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM
  #25  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital & Black Hills SD
Posts: 16,006
Default

I won't be bidding on C8 #1, I'd be dead before it appreciates significantly enough! Wanted a C7 when they were introduced... I remember saying to Susan "this is even harder to get in and out of than the Porsche or your Mustang"
It does look like it will be an awesome ride tho....
LI Sound Grunt likes this.
Afishinado is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:52 AM
  #26  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,221
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
GM is such a loser company anyways....who cares?
Not sure what that means. I have owned so many vehicles and hands down the best have been GM. I won't buy another Ford or Jeep that's for sure.
LI Sound Grunt likes this.
RussH is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
  #27  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,002
Default

Knowing GM, they have probably considered moving the Bowling Green plant to Mexico.
nccoaster is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,299
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Why not wait for the mid engine model?

One reason is the $15k off they are now offering on the C7 since they haven't been able to sell them ever since everyone know the mid engine is a reality in 2020. I bet it is even more off now.. The mid-engine one I'd bet will be $20k more than the C7 for like trim models.
VTXrider is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM
  #29  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 344
Default

Rick Hendrick buys the first Corvette off the line every year, this one will be his as well.
caracal25 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fayetteville/Gloucester, NC
Posts: 1,327
Default

Pushrod engines can be lighter, torquier, cheaper, and shorter than DOHC engines.

If you think GM's LS-3 engines are not "modern", you should do a little research.
RyanL11 and SOSC like this.
abfish is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:45 AM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,704
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
The OHV small block Chevy V8 was a success in 1955. Maybe time to come up with something appealing to younger drivers, like those under 65.

My first car was a 1965 289 Mustang I bought in 1972 so I know all about pushrod V8's. Time for a change.
Just an FYI...the new Corvette will have two V8's, one being the pushrod V8 the other a twin turbo DOHC V8. GM does have a DOHC V8.

That being said, I remember an article from Road & Track from 10+ years ago where they talked about having a figure of HP per engine lb. The 6.2 is compact and light, which is a very important thing for a sports car.

RyanL11 is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM
  #32  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location:
Posts: 2,369
Default

What he said!
Originally Posted by abfish View Post
Pushrod engines can be lighter, torquier, cheaper, and shorter than DOHC engines.

If you think GM's LS-3 engines are not "modern", you should do a little research.
marlinmike is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
  #33  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 35
Default

Originally Posted by Seacat FL View Post
Why not wait for the mid engine model?
The C8 may not have the option for a manual transmission following Ferrari's blasphemous lead. I don't care how much faster it is, but if it does not have 3 pedals I don't want one. Although I admit the auto mode trans in the 458 I drove was really impressive, it was not as much fun as it could have been with a manual. I am in it for the fun and the engagement. Numbers and stats are one thing, but I want seat of my pants fun. I am keeping my C6 and have not yet gotten over the ugly factor of the C7 to get one, but I hate that a manual trans, normally combusted V8 Corvette might vanish. First world problems and all.
glacierbay2 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,103
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbay2 View Post
The C8 may not have the option for a manual transmission following Ferrari's blasphemous lead. I don't care how much faster it is, but if it does not have 3 pedals I don't want one. Although I admit the auto mode trans in the 458 I drove was really impressive, it was not as much fun as it could have been with a manual. I am in it for the fun and the engagement. Numbers and stats are one thing, but I want seat of my pants fun. I am keeping my C6 and have not yet gotten over the ugly factor of the C7 to get one, but I hate that a manual trans, normally combusted V8 Corvette might vanish. First world problems and all.

I'm with you.....who cares if it's a little slower or whatever. I don't really see myself hitting 200 mph or doing 0-60 times on the street. I'm all about the fun and enjoying a sport car for what it should be.......a stick that is fun to drive. I would be interested to see the sales numbers for the stick vs auto for the past few years of Corvettes by trim package.
Diverboy is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,911
Default

The good news is the auto is a dual clutch transmission which is unlike the auto transmissions most of you are used to driving. Dual clutch is as fun as an auto gets. Its not a slushbox and its not a god help us cvt.
fjmaverick is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 04:28 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,860
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
GM is such a loser company anyways....who cares?
the company earned $3.1 billion, or $1.65 per share
GM gets a tax refund of $104 million on $11.8 billion in profits.
RyanL11 likes this.
Thalasso is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 04:42 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,860
Default

Originally Posted by Diverboy View Post
I'm with you.....who cares if it's a little slower or whatever. I don't really see myself hitting 200 mph or doing 0-60 times on the street. I'm all about the fun and enjoying a sport car for what it should be.......a stick that is fun to drive. I would be interested to see the sales numbers for the stick vs auto for the past few years of Corvettes by trim package.
2017 model year, Chevrolet built a total of 32,782 Corvettes
The number one selling model is the Corvette Stingray Coupe which accounts for 34.3% followed by the Grand Sport Coupe which saw 30.2% of production while the Z06 had 18.9% of 2017 Corvette production.
For Stingray and Grand Sport Buyers, the 2LT Equipment Group was the most popular.
Only 32.7% of Stingray Coupe/Convertible buyers opted for the Z51 performance package.
For Grand Sport, 12.3% of Coupe/Convertible buyers opted for the Z07 Performance package. For Z06 buyers, 32.5% selected the Z07 Performance Package while another 17.9% selected the J57 carbon ceramic brakes (without Z07).
Across the board, the take-rate on the 8-speed automatic transmission was 77.9%. For Z06, 70.9% of buyers selected the 8-speed automatic.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017...te-model-year/
__________________
RyanL11 likes this.
Thalasso is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 04:49 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,849
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbay2 View Post
The C8 may not have the option for a manual transmission following Ferrari's blasphemous lead. I don't care how much faster it is, but if it does not have 3 pedals I don't want one. Although I admit the auto mode trans in the 458 I drove was really impressive, it was not as much fun as it could have been with a manual. I am in it for the fun and the engagement. Numbers and stats are one thing, but I want seat of my pants fun. I am keeping my C6 and have not yet gotten over the ugly factor of the C7 to get one, but I hate that a manual trans, normally combusted V8 Corvette might vanish. First world problems and all.
Wait.

The new Vette isn't going to have a manual trans as an option?

Hahahahaha. Sorry.
OldPete is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM
  #39  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,300
Default

Originally Posted by fjmaverick View Post
The good news is the auto is a dual clutch transmission which is unlike the auto transmissions most of you are used to driving. Dual clutch is as fun as an auto gets. Its not a slushbox and its not a god help us cvt.
Dual clutch transmissions are great. We have had 4 of them, 2 VW and 2 Audi. They shift faster than any human can and there are no torque converters just clutches.”
Seacat FL is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:38 PM
  #40  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,300
Default

Originally Posted by abfish View Post
Pushrod engines can be lighter, torquier, cheaper, and shorter than DOHC engines.

If you think GM's LS-3 engines are not "modern", you should do a little research.
Lighter cheaper shorter maybe but they are less powerful than the same displacement DOHC 4 valve/cylinder engine.

How are ohv engines “torquier” ?
Seacat FL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread