Notices
Like Tree37Likes

Beaufort SC boat accident

Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Default Beaufort SC boat accident

Terrible night to be on the water in that fog last night. Prayers for the family.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/lo...226720024.html
Led0321 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 04:15 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 593
Default

Very sad day
JoCo34 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Low Country, SC
Posts: 112
Default

Very sad and angry happening for the town of Hampton SC. This is horrible and should never have happened.
lencho30 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 07:41 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 190
Default

My niece was good friends with the young girl, awful news. Prayers for the family.
Tjackson is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 05:14 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,885
Default

mystery is online now  
Old 02-26-2019, 08:28 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 196
Default

I know the girls cousin well. A lot of bad decisions led to this accident and it really wasn't the fogs fault, even though it didn't help. The driver was extremely drunk, driving like a fool, and shouldn't have been behind the wheel.

Fog God's sake people, drunk driving doesn't belong in any vehicle which includes boats. What might be a good time at the moment can turn into this and effect so many people. In this case, a young life was taken from us. Sad day
N2theblue and TylerSC like this.
Playn Hooky is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 05:10 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bluffton, SC
Posts: 882
Default

I was out Saturday night. The fog has been thick lately. Radar, drive slow and be safe please. A life is too much to loose.
Unevensteven is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 470
Default

6 people on a 17í Sea Hunt at 2am in February. This is so tragic and sad.. a 19 yr old girl is gone. I am following this case and look forward to reading the DNR report and viewing the boat damage. Prayers they can recover her.
DenmarkSC is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 142
Default

I thank God for every night my kids make it home safe and pray for the girl's family and any responsible for her loss.
Sammer Eye is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 90
Default

A horrible tragedy. So sad. Prayers for the family.
lowcountrygamecock3333 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by Playn Hooky View Post
I know the girls cousin well. A lot of bad decisions led to this accident and it really wasn't the fogs fault, even though it didn't help. The driver was extremely drunk, driving like a fool, and shouldn't have been behind the wheel.

Fog God's sake people, drunk driving doesn't belong in any vehicle which includes boats. What might be a good time at the moment can turn into this and effect so many people. In this case, a young life was taken from us. Sad day
They have divers down again to day on the Beaufort side of the bridge.
Led0321 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 470
Default

I was curious so I checked the tide chart for the general area:

Saturday at 6PM was a -1' low tide.
Sunday at 1AM was a 8' high tide.
Sunday at 7am was a -0.5' low tide.

This accident occurred around 2AM on Sunday. Our typical tide swing is 5'-6'. Grass starts to disappear when the tide is 6.5'+. On that night, there was an 8' tide swing. This poor girl could have been carried all the way to the ocean if she didn't get hung up on any obstruction. There are 5 surviving occupants of that boat. Only one of the survivors, Ms. Beach's boyfriend, has made any comment on this situation. I am trying to withhold judgement until more facts are provided, but this really sounds like there will be criminal charges in the end.
DenmarkSC is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 02:44 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 58
Default

Originally Posted by DenmarkSC View Post
I was curious so I checked the tide chart for the general area:

Saturday at 6PM was a -1' low tide.
Sunday at 1AM was a 8' high tide.
Sunday at 7am was a -0.5' low tide.

This accident occurred around 2AM on Sunday. Our typical tide swing is 5'-6'. Grass starts to disappear when the tide is 6.5'+. On that night, there was an 8' tide swing. This poor girl could have been carried all the way to the ocean if she didn't get hung up on any obstruction. There are 5 surviving occupants of that boat. Only one of the survivors, Ms. Beach's boyfriend, has made any comment on this situation. I am trying to withhold judgement until more facts are provided, but this really sounds like there will be criminal charges in the end.

Investigators didnít conduct sobriety tests on the boatís occupants because it wasnít clear who was driving, McCullough said.

The 17-foot Sea Hunt boat that crashed is registered to Alexander Murdaugh of Islandton, McCullough said. He said he didnít know if investigators had talked to Murdaugh but that it would be standard procedure.

Read more here:
Led0321 is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 02:47 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,885
Default

Originally Posted by Led0321 View Post



Investigators didnít conduct sobriety tests on the boatís occupants because it wasnít clear who was driving, McCullough said.

The 17-foot Sea Hunt boat that crashed is registered to Alexander Murdaugh of Islandton, McCullough said. He said he didnít know if investigators had talked to Murdaugh but that it would be standard procedure.

Read more here:
Interesting

If you are in public arent you subject to intoxication rules?

If anyone appeared to be intoxicated, they may have been able to test regardless of whether driver or not (which could possibly be established at a later time)
mystery is online now  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:04 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Low Country, SC
Posts: 112
Default

I doubt any charges will ever be filed. If you are familiar with the names involved and the surrounding area, you would see why.
lencho30 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:28 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,433
Default

If I'm reading correctly, there may be a solicitor (perhaps former) and wrongful death attorney very close to the situation?
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 01:07 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Low Country, SC
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
If I'm reading correctly, there may be a solicitor (perhaps former) and wrongful death attorney very close to the situation?
A powerful family
lencho30 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location:
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by lencho30 View Post
A powerful family
You got that right!!!
tideride is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:35 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,433
Default

Originally Posted by lencho30 View Post
A powerful family
Democrat party folks? If I recall correctly they may be only Irishmen in the NAACP down thus way?
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Low Country, SC
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post


Democrat party folks? If I recall correctly they may be only Irishmen in the NAACP down thus way?
you got it
passingas likes this.
lencho30 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread