Notices
Like Tree6Likes

Boat Question

Reply

Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 126
Default Boat Question

Looking to upgrade and do more than just troll the beaches. Considering 21-23ft CC. My question is: Sea Hunt, Nauticstar or Keywest?
Thanks
Boykins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Onslow County, NC
Posts: 247
Default

I'd put Cobia on that list.
chrispnet likes this.
Wldmoose is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
bogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Newport, NC
Posts: 4,679
Default

Go to the Crystal Coast boat show next weekend, all of the local dealers will be there and this size is right up their alley.
bogue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:27 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Landlocked97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hickory/Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,960
Default

You should only get a yellowfin of freeman

There are a ton of boats out there, ride and fish in a bunch.
Landlocked97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:54 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 23,664
Default

Sailfish

Kencraft

Last edited by Fish'nFool; 05-12-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hatteras Island,NC
Posts: 1,127
Default

The LAST place he wants to get advice is from a boat salesman making minimum wage working 60 hours a week. He needs the input of owners that know construction, engineering in hulls, etc.
Warlock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 544
Default

Go 23 if you can. A few simple things to look at for quality are wiring (switches), hardware and hatch construction. Look for the deck layout/storage that works best for you. Do not know your location but there seems to be a Yamaha mechanic on every corner around eastern NC(important when/if you need it).
barhopping is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,098
Default

Only boats in that tier that I would shy away from currently are Tidewater and Sportsman, and maybe Nautic.

Key West, Sea Hunt, Sea Pro, Cobia. Any of those I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.
thefuzz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:26 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 126
Default

Thanks for the replys. Would love a 23ft but that would include me having to purchase a new vehicle to tow it. Currently towing with a four-runner. Not sure how that would do going 3 hrs to the beach couple times a month.
Boykins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:06 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pittsford, NY & Oak Island, NC
Posts: 357
Default Which Boat

Boykin,

Let me start-off by openly stating I am a pleased owner of a Sea Hunt Ultra 234 which I bought back in 2015. Having made that admission let me explain that I am a longtime boater mostly on the Great Lakes employing Lyman's, Boston Whaler (13' sport) and Cobalts. I now keep the boat in Southport, NC and boat the Cape Fear region. I am slowly learning to become a saltwater mariner.

After a a break of about fives years from boating I was determined to get back into it. My primary desire was to procure a safe seaworthy boat for family, fishing and water-sports, therefore my I started looking at Boston Whalers. My examination of the Boston Whaler line is that the boats are still safe and seaworthy, but extremely overpriced. I therefore, began looking at other manufactures and found Sea Hunt, a boat attractively priced, very seaworthy, and meeting my needs. I found other center consoles with better fit and finish, but in my evaluation the level of improvements in other manufactures' boats did not justify the level of increased price.

Allow me to wrap this up by making two additional statements. One, as important as the make of boat, I would suggest the sales organization is as important! Find a dealer you trust and only deal with a sales organization you totally trust. I found that level of trust in Wye River Marine on Kent Island, MD. I lived six hours away in Rochester, NY. and found the travel distance well worth the required time and cost. I recommend Wye River without any caveats, but you may find a good Sea Hunt dealer closer to your area. Second, I would suggest you might want to take a trip to Columbia, South Carolina to visit the Sea Hunt factory. I have not been there myself, but hope to go sometime in the not too distant future. I can state as fact the people at the factory like there dealer in Kent Island, Maryland have assisted me in a timely manner with each and every need. In short, Sea Hunt is a customer focused organization who knows how to treat loyal customers. Customers whose loyalty has been earn and not taken for granted.

Conclusion, Sea Hunts are seaworthy vessels, well made, but not overly fancy. Sea Hunts are well designed vessels; produced by a collection of people who respect the customer and the hard earned dollars the customer spends on their product. Sea Hunt is a boat which will meet your needs and the company and its dealer organization will truly earn your business and loyalty.

I hope you find this message helpful.

Respectfully,
Chief9 and Bird_Ultra234 like this.

Last edited by Bison; 05-12-2018 at 01:14 PM. Reason: personal error
Bison is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:27 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 1,375
Default

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Kendall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ENC
Posts: 128
Default

Consider adding SeaOx to your short list. They are produced in Little Washington.
RaginRed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:22 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 126
Default

Originally Posted by Bison View Post
Boykin,

Let me start-off by openly stating I am a pleased owner of a Sea Hunt Ultra 234 which I bought back in 2015. Having made that admission let me explain that I am a longtime boater mostly on the Great Lakes employing Lyman's, Boston Whaler (13' sport) and Cobalts. I now keep the boat in Southport, NC and boat the Cape Fear region. I am slowly learning to become a saltwater mariner.

After a a break of about fives years from boating I was determined to get back into it. My primary desire was to procure a safe seaworthy boat for family, fishing and water-sports, therefore my I started looking at Boston Whalers. My examination of the Boston Whaler line is that the boats are still safe and seaworthy, but extremely overpriced. I therefore, began looking at other manufactures and found Sea Hunt, a boat attractively priced, very seaworthy, and meeting my needs. I found other center consoles with better fit and finish, but in my evaluation the level of improvements in other manufactures' boats did not justify the level of increased price.

Allow me to wrap this up by making two additional statements. One, as important as the make of boat, I would suggest the sales organization is as important! Find a dealer you trust and only deal with a sales organization you totally trust. I found that level of trust in Wye River Marine on Kent Island, MD. I lived six hours away in Rochester, NY. and found the travel distance well worth the required time and cost. I recommend Wye River without any caveats, but you may find a good Sea Hunt dealer closer to your area. Second, I would suggest you might want to take a trip to Columbia, South Carolina to visit the Sea Hunt factory. I have not been there myself, but hope to go sometime in the not too distant future. I can state as fact the people at the factory like there dealer in Kent Island, Maryland have assisted me in a timely manner with each and every need. In short, Sea Hunt is a customer focused organization who knows how to treat loyal customers. Customers whose loyalty has been earn and not taken for granted.

Conclusion, Sea Hunts are seaworthy vessels, well made, but not overly fancy. Sea Hunts are well designed vessels; produced by a collection of people who respect the customer and the hard earned dollars the customer spends on their product. Sea Hunt is a boat which will meet your needs and the company and its dealer organization will truly earn your business and loyalty.

I hope you find this message helpful.

Respectfully,
Thanks Bison for taking the time to share your experience with Sea Hunts. I am going to look at those as well as some others mentioned here.
Boykins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:13 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bluefield, VA
Posts: 98
Default

i had good luck with a 23 Keywest.
x_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 178
Default

Originally Posted by RaginRed View Post
Consider adding SeaOx to your short list. They are produced in Little Washington.
With the 21 seaox you are getting a 21 foot boat with as much space as most non bracketed 23's
ahane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:37 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Carolina Coast
Posts: 242
Default

Curious to know if the OP is looking to buy new or previous owned... If buying used, his options will open more brands/makes.

I first heard of the Sea Ox via THT; seems like an interesting company who is building a solid boat.

Unsure if the OP is looking for this type of hull with its 14 degree deadrise since he originally mentioned "more than troll the beaches...", both the 21 and 23 have 14 degrees. Though it seems seaworthy, the shallow rise is not going to make the most pleasant of rides. The 21 foot is 3100lbs and comes stock with a 175hp Zuke; think it needs more power or it's going to be a slow poker...

Reminds me a lot of a Parker or Jones Brother with its 3 piece hull and overall design. The beam is 8'6'' which is exactly like the Parker SE series, kinda like a SE with a closed transom. Wonder how it handles the extra weight in the back since both Parker and JB has a notched transom on their 14 deadrise. (disclaimer - I am a Parker owner)

Just being a 3 piece, it puts it into a different category than the mass produced brands mentioned above. The only down side, besides the dead rise, is dealer support. Appears as if Sea Ox is just getting started and will have limited dealers where any warranty issues will need to be serviced directly from the manufacture. I would imagine that they will treat their owners with "white gloves" since they are currently building a their brand. Nonetheless, again seems like a solid boat if the spec meets the OP needs/wants.

All the brands mentioned in the OP post are in a similar class. Will basically come down to his personal preference on how the layout, close(er) dealer support, service, and of course budget. One suggestion, since the OP will be actively towing to/from, highly recommend a high quality trailer; no need to skimp with his towing needs.

Best of luck! Boat shopping is frustratingly fun!
SeaLand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 44
Default

Originally Posted by thefuzz View Post
Only boats in that tier that I would shy away from currently are Tidewater and Sportsman, and maybe Nautic.

Key West, Sea Hunt, Sea Pro, Cobia. Any of those I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.
what’s wrong with sportsman?
Led0321 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:13 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,577
Default

Originally Posted by ahane View Post
With the 21 seaox you are getting a 21 foot boat with as much space as most non bracketed 23's
Pretty sure I saw a 24 sea ox 60 nm off the beach this past weekend fishing in the stream.... on the short list for my next boat.
wahoo wacker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 85
Default

Every person commenting on this thread will give you a build of their preference, tell us your budget and what you would desire on it.
HulaGirlNC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 84
Default

I liked the Key West boats but ended up liking the overall design of the Sea Hunt better, also I think the Key West was unjustifiably more expensive.

There will be a lot of opinions but for sure keep brand re-sale in mind when buying your boat as the "2'itis" will hit sooner or later.

I would steer away from Nauticstar and Tidewater due to recent quality issues.

Check out Bull's Bay for a no frills well-built boat at a value price.

Check this one out https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...585683753.html

Last edited by bosun0731; 05-15-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: .
bosun0731 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: