Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > The Carolinas
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a good lawyer that has dealt with the boat lemon law in NC?

Notices
Like Tree16Likes

Anyone know a good lawyer that has dealt with the boat lemon law in NC?

Reply

Old 04-27-2018, 04:00 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

My boat is still at the manufacturer, and hoping to get some word this week on the status.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

still no word on when I will get my boat back... had to pull out of the MAD in Morehead city as I did not want to volunteer to bring some of my fellow service members out fishing just to have to tell them I cannot go at the last minute.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maxton/Durham NC
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by visco View Post
still no word on when I will get my boat back... had to pull out of the MAD in Morehead city as I did not want to volunteer to bring some of my fellow service members out fishing just to have to tell them I cannot go at the last minute.
Seems that a company should give you a demo boat to do something such as that.. Sucks that you had to do that, but hopefully this is the last time you will ever have to deal with the issues...
mattbowen61990 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:54 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Claim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 592
Default

Claim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:43 PM
  #65  
Super Moderator
 
THT MOD 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In The Heart Of Dixie
Posts: 1,206
Default

Time for a new Hull, upfront legal costs to litigate will be more than the boat value. Hopefully TW will step up and make things right.
THT MOD 14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM
  #66  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Greenville,NC
Posts: 1,162
Default

Really hate this for you OP but between this thread and the other one I quickly removed TW off the list for my next boat. Hoping you get some good news soon.
patro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 AM
  #67  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,142
Default

How long have they had it now?
CheddarMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 PM
  #68  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by CheddarMan View Post
How long have they had it now?
coming up on a month now.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 PM
  #69  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: cape fear
Posts: 5,477
Default

Originally Posted by visco View Post
Fellow boaters,
my wife is really getting aggravated at me, as I will not force Tidewater to do something to fix my issues once and for all. I have owned my boat sense it was new in 2013 and over the 5 years, the boat has been to the manufacture 3 separate times adding up to over a year in the shop for repairs on the same issue. It was also at my local dealers 2 separate times for yes the same issue as well.



I have just about hit my limit and I am starting to agree with my wife, as I am having to send it back again for... yes, the same issue. the bad thing about this is that the dealer and manufacture talk about this as it is no big deal.



Anyone know of an attorney around South Eastern NC that has dealt with the boats lemon law issues? I have spoken to a couple and so far no luck, as they state it will be financially easier to sell the boat and be done with it. I do not believe that is the right answer... pawn my issues off to someone else, what would that solve!



any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Where in NC are you? What dealer?
Libra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:00 AM
  #70  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Where in NC are you? What dealer?
I am currently in Sneads Ferry to answer your question

your question is not an easy one to answer about the dealership

I bought the boat new here in NC, and the dealership and salesmen (owner) was great, he did not try and sugar coat anything and was a straight shooter to me. I was looking at two boats when I bought this one, a 22' CC Grady White, and then the tidewater. I was initially leaning towards the GW for obvious reasons we all know, and what Brian done next was enlightening. We sat down and he started to ask a series of questions that ranged from relaxing and cruising, to fishing, to even trailering the boat, things I really was not thinking about at the time. This conversation went on for about 2 hours before both my wife and I agreed the TW was the boat to go with at the time. I have a hugh amount of respect for Brian and his team, and would buy another boat from them, so again I do not want to taint his reputation by airing his business name on this specific thread. If you're in the Eastern NC area and have a TW, then you know who this is already. Brian lost money in this business transaction as the GW was worth a couple of pennies more than the TW.

The issue I had with this boat was a manufacture defect, and because I am in the military, and always moving around, Brian was unable to fix my issue before moving to New Orleans. I regret this decision to this day, because I truly believe that if I would have let Brian fix the issue, then we would not be here talking about this right now.

When we moved to NOLA, TW recommended Boat City USA in Hammond, LA... I would highly discourage anyone from going there.

Will keep everyone updates as things change.

Last edited by visco; 05-04-2018 at 04:23 AM.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:08 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,357
Default

Originally Posted by visco View Post
I am currently in Sneads Ferry to answer your question

your question is not an easy one to answer about the dealership

I bought the boat new here in NC, and the dealership and salesmen (owner) was great, he did not try and sugar coat anything and was a straight shooter to me. I was looking at two boats when I bought this one, a 22' CC Grady White, and then the tidewater. I was initially leaning towards the GW for obvious reasons we all know, and what Brian done next was enlightening. We sat down and he started to ask a series of questions that ranged from relaxing and cruising, to fishing, to even trailering the boat, things I really was not thinking about at the time. This conversation went on for about 2 hours before both my wife and I agreed the TW was the boat to go with at the time. I have a hugh amount of respect for Brian and his team, and would buy another boat from them, so again I do not want to taint his reputation by airing his business name on this specific thread. If you're in the Eastern NC area and have a TW, then you know who this is already. Brian lost money in this business transaction as the GW was worth a couple of pennies more than the TW.

The issue I had with this boat was a manufacture defect, and because I am in the military, and always moving around, Brian was unable to fix my issue before moving to New Orleans. I regret this decision to this day, because I truly believe that if I would have let Brian fix the issue, then we would not be here talking about this right now.

When we moved to NOLA, TW recommended Boat City USA in Hammond, LA... I would highly discourage anyone from going there.

Will keep everyone updates as things change.
.
zigzag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 AM
  #72  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 11,863
Default

I would like to say that I am surprised that Tidewater has not been communicative with you through this process, but I am not. I have a hunch that they are trying to split the hull. That or a replacement is the only way to correct the problem if I understand the problem correctly. A split is VERY labor intensive. It is doubtful that a boat Tidewater has already made money on will be prioritized over new builds.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 AM
  #73  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: cape fear
Posts: 5,477
Default

There sure are lots of Tidewaters on the water around SE, NC. This one almost has to be an exception, as practically all others seem to be happy with the boats, and many sell one to move up to a bigger Tidewater. I sure hope that we don't see a flurry of problems popping up in a year or two. I had a six year old 18 ft. and loved it. Considering buying a 210 now.
Libra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:57 AM
  #74  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I would like to say that I am surprised that Tidewater has not been communicative with you through this process, but I am not. I have a hunch that they are trying to split the hull. That or a replacement is the only way to correct the problem if I understand the problem correctly. A split is VERY labor intensive. It is doubtful that a boat Tidewater has already made money on will be prioritized over new builds.
Tidewater contracted the job out to a local fiberglass repair shop across the street from the factory from what I have been told. They're looking at the issue with the deck, and also looking at what I believe is a void Just before the start of the lower keel on the port side, inside the first chime. it is either a void or the gelcoat was sprayed on very thin in that area, but I do not believe it is the gelcoat. I wash that boat by hand every time I get back from a day on the water, and I am a clean freak when it comes to my boat. I truly believe I would have noticed the dark spots on the hull a long time ago, if it was sprayed thin with gelcoat.

as promised... I will keep everyone informed.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 AM
  #75  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 373
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I would like to say that I am surprised that Tidewater has not been communicative with you through this process, but I am not. I have a hunch that they are trying to split the hull. That or a replacement is the only way to correct the problem if I understand the problem correctly. A split is VERY labor intensive. It is doubtful that a boat Tidewater has already made money on will be prioritized over new builds.
This really sucks, you would think that a company in today's digital, social media driven society would go above and beyond to make a customer happy. I know that when I had an issue with my G2, Evinrude/BRP was on the phone with me daily up to the VP level to make sure I was kept informed and I make sure everyone knows how they handled it. I understand that they have new boats to build but bad press in today's world can sink a company...
REELH00KER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM
  #76  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by Libra View Post
There sure are lots of Tidewaters on the water around SE, NC. This one almost has to be an exception, as practically all others seem to be happy with the boats, and many sell one to move up to a bigger Tidewater. I sure hope that we don't see a flurry of problems popping up in a year or two. I had a six year old 18 ft. and loved it. Considering buying a 210 now.
I agree... mine is the exception. this started out as a very simple and easy to fix manufacture defect. Once a certain dealer in Louisiana got their hand on it, it turned into what I am dealing with today. This could have been prevented.

I do like Tidewater, and their still on my list of boats I would trade up to. Maybe not at the top anymore, but still on the list.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:45 AM
  #77  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by REELH00KER View Post
This really sucks, you would think that a company in today's digital, social media driven society would go above and beyond to make a customer happy. I know that when I had an issue with my G2, Evinrude/BRP was on the phone with me daily up to the VP level to make sure I was kept informed and I make sure everyone knows how they handled it. I understand that they have new boats to build but bad press in today's world can sink a company...
Agreed, and at first when this all started to come about, I was receiving updates at least once a week. I know they're aware, but you know, ever sense Paul made them aware of this thread, the communication hasn't gotten any better and if anything, it has went from bad to worst. I have to call them now to get an update.
visco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM
  #78  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 373
Default

That's a shame... I don't care if you own one of the best boats on the water, Viking, Yellowfin, Grady White... how a company treats and takes care of their customers is just as important, and if a company turns their back on a customer then they're no better than any of the worst boats on the water...

If I were in the market and looked at Tidewater I wouldn't pass them over because your boat had an issue, but I would definitely pass on them because of how they treated a customer after the sale... Nothing can be made perfect every time because sometimes $hit happens that you can't control and service after the sale is something you can...
zigzag and Dennis Bc like this.
REELH00KER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM
  #79  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 11,863
Default

Originally Posted by Libra View Post
There sure are lots of Tidewaters on the water around SE, NC. This one almost has to be an exception, as practically all others seem to be happy with the boats, and many sell one to move up to a bigger Tidewater. I sure hope that we don't see a flurry of problems popping up in a year or two. I had a six year old 18 ft. and loved it. Considering buying a 210 now.
If you read the threads in my sig, and the posts in the threads, you will see that this is not an isolated incident. I posted the same links on FB and on the Tidewater forum. Others rang in with their problems. Via PM I became aware of other serious issues, but I'll honor the P in PM and keep silent on those.
zigzag likes this.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:04 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hatteras Island,NC
Posts: 1,125
Default

I am surprised you got any replies to your call for help. There is no such thing as a "good lawyer" .
Warlock is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: