Notices

Big Rock Predictions

Old 06-14-2014, 03:14 PM
  #421  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Going through the money winners, I've never seen it so counter intuitive…lotta big fish caught by boats not enterered into a lot of levels. Couple examples:
The winning dolphin won more money than the second place blue - as did the fourth place blue - and the third place blue won more money than the biggest blue.

Last edited by C. Edmund; 06-14-2014 at 04:05 PM.
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 03:42 PM
  #422  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 563
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
Going through the money winners, I've never seen it so counter intuitive…lotta big fish caught by boats not enterered into a lot of levels. Couple examples:
The winning dolphin won more money than the second place blue, and the third place blue won more money than the biggest blue.
Yep, and Sandrita caught a dolphin that weighed the same as the winner, but won a fraction of the money. Makes you wonder why they don't seem to treat the gamefish better when they catch a big one. If you watch the live feed when they're bringing them in, they drag them across the dock, throw them up on the dock, throwing them in a shuttle boat...I know the idea is to catch monster blues, but there is still good money to be paid in the dolphin category.
CarolinaKings is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 05:11 PM
  #423  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
Going through the money winners, I've never seen it so counter intuitive…lotta big fish caught by boats not enterered into a lot of levels. Couple examples:
The winning dolphin won more money than the second place blue - as did the fourth place blue - and the third place blue won more money than the biggest blue.
Maybe some participants are going for blue marlin only? But it seems to me, if you are going to head out and fish for 4 days might as well give all the other gamefish categories a shot.
Meezlar is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 PM
  #424  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by Meezlar View Post
Maybe some participants are going for blue marlin only? But it seems to me, if you are going to head out and fish for 4 days might as well give all the other gamefish categories a shot.
Well it's not really that: for instance: the second place boat did not enter many categories at all - and no one who caught a fish over 500 pounds entered the Fab Fisherman Level. And third place Marlin was more valuable than the first place. Fourth more valuable than second.
Quite often, the wining marlin will be way way way up in the six figures for the week, including the Fab Fisherman share, which would have been over 300K this year.

I don't knock anyone for saving some money by not registering in all leves, but it's very unusual (off top of my head) for so many of the big boats not to be entered in all levels.
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 PM
  #425  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NSB - FL
Posts: 2,201
Default

Seems like a bust to me... Small winnings

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
DamonD is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 PM
  #426  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 943
Default

Originally Posted by CarolinaKings View Post
Yep, and Sandrita caught a dolphin that weighed the same as the winner, but won a fraction of the money. Makes you wonder why they don't seem to treat the gamefish better when they catch a big one. If you watch the live feed when they're bringing them in, they drag them across the dock, throw them up on the dock, throwing them in a shuttle boat...I know the idea is to catch monster blues, but there is still good money to be paid in the dolphin category.
I fished on the Sandrita. We lost close to $100K with a fish that weighed...to the ounce...as much as the winning fish. We weighed our fish in two days after the winning fish. Rules state that the first fish weighed wins. We walk away with roughly $5K after a second place overall dolphin, second place daily dolphin (Monday) and first place daily Dolphin (Wednesday) while the first place fish walks with big $$$. The weigh master called out 45.7 and we were in heaven...then the weigh master said 45.5 and it sucked. It is what it is. To lose big money by ONE OUNCE sucks, but that's the rules. We also released one White and one Blue. Great times were had and I wish that we didn't pull out the big Dolly to take pics right after we put him in the boat, but, it is what it is. Great tourney and congrats to the Inspiration crew to catching a stud on day one.
on deck is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM
  #427  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,444
Default

Congrats to all who fished and were lucky enough to bring fish to the scales. Until next year, tight lines!
TrollnHeel is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:46 PM
  #428  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Seems like a bust to me... Small winnings
No, not at all….the fish were relatively big (two over 600 pounds) and the total prize money was still a ton. Because of how some of the boats registered, some of the bigger fish did not win all the bigger money - but that helped the third place marlin and the fourth place marlin winners.

Dolphin winner was nice prize too!
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM
  #429  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NSB - FL
Posts: 2,201
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
No, not at all….the fish were relatively big (two over 600 pounds) and the total prize money was still a ton. Because of how some of the boats registered, some of the bigger fish did not win all the bigger money - but that helped the third place marlin and the fourth place marlin winners. Dolphin winner was nice prize too!
300k is nothing to shake a stick at... But it's not a million+ either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
DamonD is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 PM
  #430  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,466
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
300k is nothing to shake a stick at... But it's not a million+ either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
And it would've been 600+ if they'd entered all levels. They didn't. The total purse was around 1.8 million. But a fish over 700, another over 600 and three more legal ones plus all the gamefish makes for a mighty successful tournament in my opinion. It's not all about the money.

Last edited by N2theblue; 06-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM
  #431  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
300k is nothing to shake a stick at... But it's not a million+ either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make - but the fish caught were impressive - and the total purse was impressive. The only screwy thing this year was the number of big boats that did not enter all level…..but how in the hell you say that's a bad tournament is beyond any sane comprehension.
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM
  #432  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
300k is nothing to shake a stick at... But it's not a million+ either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
no, and the FOURTH PLACE MARLIN won over 300 K too!!!!!!!!
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
  #433  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NSB - FL
Posts: 2,201
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make - but the fish caught were impressive - and the total purse was impressive. The only screwy thing this year was the number of big boats that did not enter all level…..but how in the hell you say that's a bad tournament is beyond any sane comprehension.
I'm saying the overall winners take was smaller than expected... Due to his own strategy... Or lack thereof. The tourney was great, but lacked the great payouts due to each boat not entering what they should have

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
DamonD is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 07:46 PM
  #434  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,466
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
I'm saying the overall winners take was smaller than expected... Due to his own strategy... Or lack thereof. The tourney was great, but lacked the great payouts due to each boat not entering what they should have

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
So because of that the whole tourney was a bust?

That's some weird logic right there.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  #435  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NSB - FL
Posts: 2,201
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
So because of that the whole tourney was a bust? That's some weird logic right there.
Re-read it... I said it was a great tourney but the payouts were a bust due to the boats lack of strategy in entry classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
DamonD is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 AM
  #436  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,466
Default

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Re-read it... I said it was a great tourney but the payouts were a bust due to the boats lack of strategy in entry classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Here you said it was a bust:

Originally Posted by DamonD View Post
Seems like a bust to me... Small winnings

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Beating a dead horse now though.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM
  #437  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,644
Default

Can a boat fish for more that one place in the same category? Say, Inspiration got the big marlin on day one, could they continue to fish for second and third place as well?
glacierbaze is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 PM
  #438  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 179
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
no, and the FOURTH PLACE MARLIN won over 300 K too!!!!!!!!
C. Edmund, although my post count isn't very high, I have read enough to know that it is often unwise to disagree with you as you often have the facts. However, as I read the payouts on the big rock website I think it was the THIRD place marlin that took the largest payout at around 345k. FOURTH place was around 85k.

Just a simple oversight I'm sure.
Bigwayne17 is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 03:47 AM
  #439  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ocracoke, NC
Posts: 3,023
Default

Originally Posted by glacierbaze View Post
Can a boat fish for more that one place in the same category? Say, Inspiration got the big marlin on day one, could they continue to fish for second and third place as well?
yes.
Tarbaby is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 AM
  #440  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by Bigwayne17 View Post
C. Edmund, although my post count isn't very high, I have read enough to know that it is often unwise to disagree with you as you often have the facts. However, as I read the payouts on the big rock website I think it was the THIRD place marlin that took the largest payout at around 345k. FOURTH place was around 85k.

Just a simple oversight I'm sure.
you right!
C. Edmund is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread