Notices

Big Rock Predictions

Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM
  #261  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,187
Default

Yes you can but hook ups are relayed to the tournament headquarters are suppose to be for the billfish.

They have meat fish levels in the tournament, but when captains call in a hook up they are saying they hooked a billfish. Sometime they are mistaken and that's when you see lost pulled hook and wrong species.
KingRanch is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
  #262  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by Meezlar View Post
Im def cheering for the smaller boats to get a grown one as they say.
Yep, I'd love to see how a small boat towed one of those fatties in for one thing…….
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  #263  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,444
Default

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or was James Joyce hooked up for over an hour?
TrollnHeel is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 AM
  #264  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by KingRanch View Post
Yes you can but hook ups are relayed to the tournament headquarters are suppose to be for the billfish.

They have meat fish levels in the tournament, but when captains call in a hook up they are saying they hooked a billfish. Sometime they are mistaken and that's when you see lost pulled hook and wrong species.
Also since standings are based on time (time of release or boating the fish but still) if they are unsure of the species on the hit they go ahead and call it in to be on the safe side.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM
  #265  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 89
Default

So what would the ruling be on, after the call for lines out @ 3pm, reeling in the lines, a fish hits a bait? Would this fish count?
Meezlar is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  #266  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hamilton NC
Posts: 197
Default

Originally Posted by Meezlar View Post
So what would the ruling be on, after the call for lines out @ 3pm, reeling in the lines, a fish hits a bait? Would this fish count?
No
dolphin hunter is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM
  #267  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,058
Default

ive been in tournaments where 5 mins before lines out half the fleet hooks up and miraculously 10 minutes later they all pull the hook lol
wannabefishin is online now  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:40 PM
  #268  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by wannabefishin View Post
ive been in tournaments where 5 mins before lines out half the fleet hooks up and miraculously 10 minutes later they all pull the hook lol
If you were a cynical person you could see that happen in this tournament haha.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM
  #269  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stonewall
Posts: 153
Default

Thanks for confirming, I figured it was for a meat fish, that didn't show himself.
ss28583 is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM
  #270  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando / Ponce Inlet
Posts: 3,763
Default

What do they do with the fish that they weigh?
Blue Chip is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  #271  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,742
Default

Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
What do they do with the fish that they weigh?

Meatfish, you get them back for dinner!

Blue Marlin get transported to the NCSU (or one of the universities duke, unc) marine biology department for scientific study...
wahoo wacker is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM
  #272  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

The blues get dissected by marine biologists then donated to food banks I believe. Gamefish the boats get them back.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM
  #273  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando / Ponce Inlet
Posts: 3,763
Default

Cool. I was wondering if you could eat marlin... I know that you can eat sailfish and it can be pretty tasty. I was just thinking about coming home with a filet from a 700# fish. You could eat for a while!
Blue Chip is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
  #274  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
Cool. I was wondering if you could eat marlin... I know that you can eat sailfish and it can be pretty tasty. I was just thinking about coming home with a filet from a 700# fish. You could eat for a while!
You can, it's offered in restaurants and fish markets every so often.

I haven't tried it though.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM
  #275  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,742
Default

Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
Cool. I was wondering if you could eat marlin... I know that you can eat sailfish and it can be pretty tasty. I was just thinking about coming home with a filet from a 700# fish. You could eat for a while!

ive never had it but heard its nasty and keep in mind these fish never get iced down. They also cut open (sometimes) the fish to make sure weights have not been added, etc.

i know they took the 821 # fish that they caught in the cape fear tournament and dumped it in the ocean.
wahoo wacker is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM
  #276  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

James Joyce II just boated theirs!
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:08 PM
  #277  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: benson, nc/ atlantic beach
Posts: 3,361
Default

And not in the fab fisherman either
outlaw gunner is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM
  #278  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Bern
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by outlaw gunner View Post
and not in the fab fisherman either
smh
billhunter22 is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  #279  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by billhunter22 View Post
smh
Ridiculous. I hope it's big at least and not barely over minimum.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  #280  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 363
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
The blues get dissected by marine biologists then donated to food banks I believe. Gamefish the boats get them back.
Not donated to food banks! That would be gross.
Retimlap is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread