Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > The Carolinas
Reload this Page >

What area has the best Year Round fishing from VA Beach to Beaufort/MHC ?

Notices

What area has the best Year Round fishing from VA Beach to Beaufort/MHC ?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:34 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default What area has the best Year Round fishing from VA Beach to Beaufort/MHC ?

Ok guys I know this is a loaded question and I am not trying to start anything and I understand that everyone will have a different answer and really that is what I am looking for. What I am looking for is honest information as I am trying to pick a location to store my boat and really learn the offshore game. I have been a freshwater bass fisherman my whole life and have only been offshore on vacation with local guides in FL and Saint Thomas and loved every second of it.

So what I am looking for is the location from VA beach to Morehead City that offers the best Year Round offshore fishing. I am looking to do everything from bottom fishing, trolling, to the big Bluefin bite that I read about on the forum during the winter months.

Also how far of a run to the stream is it and do you have a recommendation on a good marina. I have a 27 foot World Cat that cruises at about 32mph with a 2.3 mpg fuel burn (twin 100 gallon tanks) and tops out about 42mph.

So what do you guys think?
Hoytrb is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hatteras Island,NC
Posts: 1,139
Default

This is a pretty simple answer. Because of our proximity to the gulf stream the Hatteras and Oregon Inlet area allows many fishing hours spent by others trying to find blue water. We have fish year around here in Hatteras and if it slows, we can trailer to Oregon Inlet for better access to YFT.

Inshore fishing would be harder to address.
Warlock is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This is a pretty simple answer. Because of our proximity to the gulf stream the Hatteras and Oregon Inlet area allows many fishing hours spent by others trying to find blue water. We have fish year around here in Hatteras and if it slows, we can trailer to Oregon Inlet for better access to YFT.

Inshore fishing would be harder to address.
Not sure the inshore fishing is legit anywhere year round, but your Gulf Stream comments are certainly valid.
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default

Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This is a pretty simple answer. Because of our proximity to the gulf stream the Hatteras and Oregon Inlet area allows many fishing hours spent by others trying to find blue water. We have fish year around here in Hatteras and if it slows, we can trailer to Oregon Inlet for better access to YFT.

Inshore fishing would be harder to address.
About how far of a run to the stream are you talking about on average? And is there any good marina you would recommend?

Thanks for the comments guys and keep them comming.
Hoytrb is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newport, N.C.
Posts: 3,400
Default

Beaufort with out a doubt.

I have fished em all through out the years and just a few feet from my door is the best fishing year round.
dontcatchmany is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
Beaufort with out a doubt.

I have fished em all through out the years and just a few feet from my door is the best fishing year round.
.....ironic given your screen name

But what can you catch out your door in Feb? Seriously, just axin....
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newport, N.C.
Posts: 3,400
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
.....ironic given your screen name

But what can you catch out your door in Feb? Seriously, just axin....
The name throws you off doesn't it

Speckled trout, black sea Bass when allowed, even a scarce flat fish, black fish (aka tautog), black drum, numerous other bottom dweller (again when allowed), grey trout (albeit 1 per). Heck, sheephead can sometimes be found. Bluefin on occasion, stripers on occasion. Shad some times when I go to Pitch Kettle. Probably left out a few.

Actually February used to be one hell of a fantastic Black Sea Bass catching time....still is, but the gubment hasn't allowed it lately.

Oh, I can take you fishing if the weather and my old body allows and you can see that the name ain't exactly honest.

Out my door covers a large area from the Big Rock to New Bern and all in between and along the Neuse river.
dontcatchmany is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaufort NC San Juan del Sur Nica
Posts: 6,708
Default

Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
The name throws you off doesn't it

Speckled trout, black sea Bass when allowed, even a scarce flat fish, black fish (aka tautog), black drum, numerous other bottom dweller (again when allowed), grey trout (albeit 1 per). Heck, sheephead can sometimes be found. Bluefin on occasion, stripers on occasion. Shad some times when I go to Pitch Kettle. Probably left out a few.

Actually February used to be one hell of a fantastic Black Sea Bass catching time....still is, but the gubment hasn't allowed it lately.

Oh, I can take you fishing if the weather and my old body allows and you can see that the name ain't exactly honest.

Out my door covers a large area from the Big Rock to New Bern and all in between and along the Neuse river.
Oh, I figured the name was a mis-direction play!!

Hoping that "out your back door" in Newport meant right out my back door too....LITERALLY
C. Edmund is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rudee Inlet
Posts: 1,481
Default

Off Shore only-Warlock is right. Inshore/offshore? I kinda like it here in VB. Truly a year round fishery, I never winterize the boat , always something to fish for.
other line is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default

Originally Posted by other line View Post
Off Shore only-Warlock is right. Inshore/offshore? I kinda like it here in VB. Truly a year round fishery, I never winterize the boat , always something to fish for.
How far of a run is the stream from VA beach ?

And does anyone know the same for Hatteras ?
Hoytrb is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newport, N.C.
Posts: 3,400
Default

Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
Oh, I figured the name was a mis-direction play!!

Hoping that "out your back door" in Newport meant right out my back door too....LITERALLY
Have not changed my THT address....I live pretty close to Harkers Island.

Oh and I forgot the red drum that will sometimes ply the shores of Shackleford.

Fishing can be year round in the area of Beaufort.

And where I live now ain't the end of the world, but you can see it from here. I plan to head out there one of these days.
dontcatchmany is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hatteras Island,NC
Posts: 1,139
Default

The question was where would he want to be for "offshore fishing". I stand by my answer. Here in Hatteras check with Teaches Lair for pricing and availability. 25 to 28 miles is normal with the stream averaging 20 or so. Have caught a sailfish in Hatteras Inlet when Gulf stream way in!
Warlock is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,200
Default

Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
The question was where would he want to be for "offshore fishing". I stand by my answer. Here in Hatteras check with Teaches Lair for pricing and availability. 25 to 28 miles is normal with the stream averaging 20 or so. Have caught a sailfish in Hatteras Inlet when Gulf stream way in!
I agree with Warlock. Closest proximity to stream if anywhere until you get to Miami.

As for comparing catching sea bass in morehead in winter to fishing in Hatteras or OI for bluefins and stripers, it ain't no comparison.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 6,419
Default

If I had to fish south of Hatteras for offshore enjoyment, I probably wouldn't be fishing. The lack of Bluefin and yellowfin tuna and the long runs would be a deal breaker for me. Easy whites and sails are fun too. Plenty of mahi/wahoo and some deep drop opportunities as well.
HeadHunt is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default

So it sounds like most people like the hatteras area for year round fishing.... So what are the best marinas? And by best I mean... location, people, amenities, service (Yamaha), etc.... Thanks guys for all the great information and hopefully we can get together and do some fishing as I don't not know anyone in that area yet.
Hoytrb is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 6,419
Default

Originally Posted by Hoytrb View Post
So it sounds like most people like the hatteras area for year round fishing.... So what are the best marinas? And by best I mean... location, people, amenities, service (Yamaha), etc.... Thanks guys for all the great information and hopefully we can get together and do some fishing as I don't not know anyone in that area yet.

Lots of marinas at Hatteras or Oregon Inlet area.. OI. But as far as Yamaha goes your are lucky there too. One of the top 5 Yamaha shops in the country is in Wanchese... Joe's Marine. Ask around... nobody else comes close in terms of Yamaha.
HeadHunt is offline  
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 443
Default

Hatteras is closest to the edge.
Oregon Inlet gets you closest to the YFT, BFT and whites.
Va Beach has the stripers in winter.
So, we stay in Beaufort because the girls like it better....
Clarkspoon is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default

Originally Posted by Clarkspoon View Post
Hatteras is closest to the edge.
Oregon Inlet gets you closest to the YFT, BFT and whites.
Va Beach has the stripers in winter.
So, we stay in Beaufort because the girls like it better....
Sounds like your house is run like most across the country.... no one is happy is the women are not happy.. haha At least beaufort is a nice area
Hoytrb is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 05:05 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 653
Default

Morehead has built up a ton (big box stores) so the nice thing is that the basics are met. If you're looking at places to live, it gets high marks in my book.
aeadams is offline  
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 245
Default

Originally Posted by aeadams View Post
Morehead has built up a ton (big box stores) so the nice thing is that the basics are met. If you're looking at places to live, it gets high marks in my book.
Yeah I have been to Morehead several times and it is very nice. I am not looking for a place to live at this point. I am just looking for the best year round fishing location. I will be driving down from VA a few times a month to spend a few days at a time out on the water.
Hoytrb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread