Notices

NC State Sport Fishing School

Old 05-04-2021, 03:05 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NC State Sport Fishing School

I read a lot, but don't post a lot - so i know many on THT have the experience where this wouldn't be a consideration, but I wondered if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of the Sportfishing School run out of Hatteras through NC State. I'm a novice off-shore fisherman, so i'm planning to head down for the week with my brother. My wife refers to it as 'man camp.'

I'm already registered and paid up, so i'm really just interested if anyone here has any experience with it and if so, what your thoughts/advice were. I appreciate all the insights shared on this site as i've learned a ton from it. Thank you.

And can't post a link because i never post. You can google "NC State Sportfishing School"
Old 05-04-2021, 04:34 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

I did it back in 2011 I believe it was. Being someone who didn't grow up saltwater fishing I got a lot out of it and would recommend it. One of the highlights of my trip was doing one of the Gulfstream fishing days with Captain Foster aboard one of the Albatross vessels, I loved the rounded stern and we slayed the mahi that day. I also learned a great safety lesson while fishing with Capt. Foster, the bilge alarm went off and it turned out to be because the main bilge pump quit working. He had a extra bilge pump on alligator clips with a long hose and sent it down cleared the bilge and we fished the rest of the day. I thought that was a pretty good idea and did the same thing when I got home. I also learned a ton on the inshore day, we caught probably 30 flounder in 4 hours. I've never been able to replicate that for some reason.

Bring some note books and pens, I recall taking lots of notes in the classroom. I would recommend making a list of questions to ask the captains/mates sometime during the class either in the classroom or offshore. Have fun!
Likes:
asudchiman, Capt Andrew, FishInHatteras252, kmacula, OBXLife, Striperk9 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:49 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 252
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Is it in Hatteras each year or does it move around the coast of NC?
Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Damn it you just spent $2500 plus for me. I want to do this badly!
Old 05-04-2021, 12:53 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FishInHatteras252 View Post
Is it in Hatteras each year or does it move around the coast of NC?
It's in its 67th year and from what i can tell on the site, seems like Hatteras each year.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:43 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 78
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

I was signed up last year but due to COVID, they moved it to September and I couldn't make that timeframe. Therefore, they offered me a full refund and was very responsive meaning, they have great customer service. While I haven't been through the course personally, I had done a lot research and all I came up with was great reviews. My goal had multiple dimensions. First and foremost, I really wanted to learn the ins and outs of offshore fishing (rigging, trolling, signs, etc.). In addition, I thought the inshore portion would have given me a lot of insight but I have done a lot of that over the years but I'm always willing to learn more to perfect my craft. Lastly, I wanted to know if offshore fishing was something that I would like enough to make a significant purchase in a boat that could handle the conditions (I think I really knew the answer to this before going). Offshore fishing is like sex which is like ice cream. I knew I would like it before I had it. Overall, I think you are going to have a blast and I hope you really enjoy. As it was stated prior, take lots of notes, ask lots of questions and by all means, listen to the teachers as they have...Been there Done that.
Tight Lines and let us know how it goes. ><)))*>
Likes:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Fear NC / Surf City NC
Posts: 1,974
Received 649 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

I know a few people who have done it and they enjoyed it - lotsa info and maybe you can take the education cost off your taxes or some thing like that!
Likes:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Is the 2021 school filled up already? I would think so being only a month out.

I might have to defer to next year but would love to go this year.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:22 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 295
Received 136 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NCscientist View Post
I did it back in 2011 I believe it was. Being someone who didn't grow up saltwater fishing I got a lot out of it and would recommend it. One of the highlights of my trip was doing one of the Gulfstream fishing days with Captain Foster aboard one of the Albatross vessels, I loved the rounded stern and we slayed the mahi that day. I also learned a great safety lesson while fishing with Capt. Foster, the bilge alarm went off and it turned out to be because the main bilge pump quit working. He had a extra bilge pump on alligator clips with a long hose and sent it down cleared the bilge and we fished the rest of the day. I thought that was a pretty good idea and did the same thing when I got home. I also learned a ton on the inshore day, we caught probably 30 flounder in 4 hours. I've never been able to replicate that for some reason.


Bring some note books and pens, I recall taking lots of notes in the classroom. I would recommend making a list of questions to ask the captains/mates sometime during the class either in the classroom or offshore. Have fun!

First bluewater trip was with Ernie Foster with a couple buddies and our dads. Caught 4 whites that day and saw a big blue. Was maybe 14, circa '78ish?. Damn 40 years. I was hooked that day. Hatteras Blues is a great read if your looking for reading material.
Likes:
Old 05-05-2021, 06:36 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2Smoker119 View Post
Is the 2021 school filled up already? I would think so being only a month out.

I might have to defer to next year but would love to go this year.
I believe they cap it at 45 but i just registered ~ 3 weeks ago, so possibly still some availability.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmacula View Post
I believe they cap it at 45 but i just registered ~ 3 weeks ago, so possibly still some availability.
Sweet, got the greenlight from the admiral to book it if I want to do it. I am tempted but dont want to make a rash decision. What could go wrong right?

Where are most of the students staying? Is there a recommended place or what? I have never stayed in Hatteras.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 78
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

You just have to do it. I'm not sure about this year but when I originally booked they did have a list of hotels that are within close proximity of the event. Even though I now have my own boat where I can go offshore, I'm still considering taking this course. It's fishing....What more could you ask for.

Tight Lines ><((()))*>
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hooked4Life View Post
You just have to do it. I'm not sure about this year but when I originally booked they did have a list of hotels that are within close proximity of the event. Even though I now have my own boat where I can go offshore, I'm still considering taking this course. It's fishing....What more could you ask for.

Tight Lines ><((()))*>
For sure, I have my own boat but I feel like it would take a lifetime to learn how to fish properly haha. This course will hopefully speed things up a little. Plus the experience of fishing with the Albatross fleet.

Anyone who is signed up, PM me. All I need is your full name and I will split the "friends" discount with you that I get. After all, we are THT friends right? OP I messaged you this proposition, you have first right of refusal. Let me know asap!


See yall there June 6-10.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 5
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2Smoker119 View Post
Sweet, got the greenlight from the admiral to book it if I want to do it. I am tempted but dont want to make a rash decision. What could go wrong right?

Where are most of the students staying? Is there a recommended place or what? I have never stayed in Hatteras.
My brother and i are at the Breakwater Inn which was the spot the program suggested. I do think my brother said he thought he got the last room several weeks ago. Did see some VRBO availability too though.
Old Today, 06:18 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kmacula View Post
My brother and i are at the Breakwater Inn which was the spot the program suggested. I do think my brother said he thought he got the last room several weeks ago. Did see some VRBO availability too though.
Thanks for the info. I did talk to Breakwater Inn Yesterday and they have a couple of the soundside rooms available. Will most likely stay there. Looking forward to it!
Likes:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.