Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > The Carolinas
Reload this Page >

Intruder 23 vs Carolina Yachts Southern Cross 23

Notices

Intruder 23 vs Carolina Yachts Southern Cross 23

Old 11-16-2020, 06:10 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intruder 23 vs Carolina Yachts Southern Cross 23

So I have been looking to get a boat in the spring time and I think I’ve got it narrowed down to either of these. I’ll say my budget is somewhere around $55-60 so both of these fit the budget. Also I have a wife and 2 small kids where I have to think of their safety. My biggest concern is how well either of these will fit my and my wife’s needs. To start I like to duck hunt, I want to run it as a scissor rig and as just use it as transportation out in the pamlico sound and albemarle sound. And in the summer time I’d like to do some light fishing in the intracoastal waterways and my wife wants to be able to do some near shore boating to nearby islands and visit other towns. I also like that both have the option for front row seating but it doesn’t make me lose a bunch of room. What are some pros and cons of both? Which would be better suited for my needs? Do y’all think either of these choices will fit my needs?

thanks for the advice in advance

Last edited by DiCecco04; 11-16-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:31 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hampstead NC
Posts: 2,151
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

southern cross is the old Downeaster hull i think it gets blown around in the wind Intruder is lower sides but not as much V up front. sorry i did not give you a good answer but its all i have good luck
Old 11-16-2020, 06:35 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 2,620
Received 359 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

The southern cross is a much bigger boat
Old 11-16-2020, 07:06 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Broadway/Snead's Ferry,NC
Posts: 4,492
Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

Intruder will more stable standing on gunnels, moving around, running with uneven weights.....but it can and will beat your tail if it gets too choppy. Totally safe and solid but it's still a skiff with a slight v entry. That said for creeks and bays I love my 198 tunnel hull and it will run in a mud puddle with a jack plate. In the bigger sounds like Albemarle and Pamlico I imagine it could make for a crappy day if the wind whips up.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:23 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: OBX
Posts: 132
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

The southern cross definitely gets blown around. The intruder is too low to the water. They will beat your teeth out in any chop. Why ruin a brand new boat with a scissor rig and all that pine????????!!!
Old 11-17-2020, 04:17 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 6,328
Received 3,015 Likes on 1,385 Posts
Default

Two very different boats designed for different tasks. The Intruder is basically a flat bottom with a nice proud bow to handle bigger waves but it is still a flat bottom. It will haul the weight, get very shallow and is very stable.

The Downeaster hull is a moderate deadrise vee hull with normal vee hull attributes, handles chop well, draws a little water (about 10" not counting the motor), and is beamy for it's length. I just finished one out for a customer as a side console and I was impressed with it's ride in the Pamlico in a moderate northeast wind. 200hp Yamaha hit 45 mph wot, 30 at 4000 rpm.

You cant go wrong with either, Will and Glen both build quality boats. Get the tunnel option (with jackplate) and pay the small upcharge for all composite on whichever one you choose. Test ride both too!
Likes:
Old 11-17-2020, 07:07 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harkers Island, NC
Posts: 480
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Pamlico Sound and Albemarle Sound are big bodies of water not much cover from the wind on a skiff. If most of your time would be on those two sounds I would go with Southern Cross with trim tabs. If you get stuck in a head sea on a skiff your going to get wet and your knees will be hurting for a week.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:11 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 126
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

You wont find a better built boat than an Intruder and Glen Rose is fantastic to work with. Just finished my 23

Another option would be a Pair Customs. Would work well for your desire and goes shallow for how well it handles chop.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:44 PM
  #9  
jdc
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bogue Banks, NC
Posts: 1,237
Received 180 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
Two very different boats designed for different tasks. The Intruder is basically a flat bottom with a nice proud bow to handle bigger waves but it is still a flat bottom. It will haul the weight, get very shallow and is very stable.

The Downeaster hull is a moderate deadrise vee hull with normal vee hull attributes, handles chop well, draws a little water (about 10" not counting the motor), and is beamy for it's length. I just finished one out for a customer as a side console and I was impressed with it's ride in the Pamlico in a moderate northeast wind. 200hp Yamaha hit 45 mph wot, 30 at 4000 rpm.

You cant go wrong with either, Will and Glen both build quality boats. Get the tunnel option (with jackplate) and pay the small upcharge for all composite on whichever one you choose. Test ride both too!
Hey Bill--assume you are talking about the Intruder for the tunnel--I wasn't aware Will had a tunnel option for the SC23?
Old 11-18-2020, 02:48 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 6,328
Received 3,015 Likes on 1,385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Hey Bill--assume you are talking about the Intruder for the tunnel--I wasn't aware Will had a tunnel option for the SC23?
I've seen one he did with one and he said it performed very nicely. Will is also doing a little experimenting with some other tweaks on a plug hull that may, or may not have a tunnel in it.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:17 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,879
Received 420 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Hey Bill--assume you are talking about the Intruder for the tunnel--I wasn't aware Will had a tunnel option for the SC23?
On my second intruder and have owned one since 2000 and have plenty of hours on one. Glen is a good guy and builds a tank for a skiff, it will take more then you can. The boat definitely does not ride good and will beat the teeth out of your head in a 1 foot short chop but..... it’s a skiff. Once you get to where you are going it fishes good and it does well in the shallows.... do not get it stuck as you aren’t pushing it off! You are not comparing similar boats at all, not even close. As far as tunnel hulls there is no way I would buy any tunnel hull without riding in one with the EXACT setup as you want..... jack plate, tabs etc. Take that for what it’s worth but ride the exact tunnel hull boat you want to build. Bill knows way more then me as far as boat bottoms but I can tell you adding a tunnel does some weird stuff to some hulls.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,879
Received 420 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Bill can chime in on hull bottoms and designs but a tunnel creates chaos with water flow and the goal is “clean” water flow to the prop.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:10 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 2,620
Received 359 Likes on 207 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by llord View Post
Bill can chime in on hull bottoms and designs but a tunnel creates chaos with water flow and the goal is “clean” water flow to the prop.
depends on the tunnel design. There are bad tunnel designs and good tunnel designs. They have to be wide enough that it won’t blow out in a turn but not wide enough where you lose too much buoyancy at rest. My buddy has a 23 sea ox with a tunnel that will not blow out and he can run across water that skiffs without tunnels can’t

Last edited by westco; 11-18-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,879
Received 420 Likes on 264 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by westco View Post
depends on the tunnel design. There are bad tunnel designs and good tunnel designs. My buddy has a 23 sea ox with a tunnel that will not blow out and he can run across water that skiffs without tunnels can’t
Not sure if you are arguing my point or agreeing. My point is ride the exact setup that you want as a 1” offset at the transom can make a difference. It’s not like the hull designs being discussed are revolutionary designs, very basic. I would ride the exact setup when a tunnel is involved.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:35 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,317
Received 430 Likes on 151 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DiCecco04 View Post
So I have been looking to get a boat in the spring time and I think I’ve got it narrowed down to either of these. I’ll say my budget is somewhere around $55-60 so both of these fit the budget. Also I have a wife and 2 small kids where I have to think of their safety. My biggest concern is how well either of these will fit my and my wife’s needs. To start I like to duck hunt, I want to run it as a scissor rig and as just use it as transportation out in the pamlico sound and albemarle sound. And in the summer time I’d like to do some light fishing in the intracoastal waterways and my wife wants to be able to do some near shore boating to nearby islands and visit other towns. I also like that both have the option for front row seating but it doesn’t make me lose a bunch of room. What are some pros and cons of both? Which would be better suited for my needs? Do y’all think either of these choices will fit my needs?

thanks for the advice in advance
I'd go with the 24 Southern Cross skiff. It's a really wide, roomy, stable boat and has higher gunwales than most skiffs. I've had the 23 SC v-hull. It will go in pretty shallow stuff, but can be wet without the spray rails added. I've had it out 20 miles or so offshore in some pretty snotty stuff. It handled it well but wet the crap out of us. Will and his wife a very nice people, easy to work with and build a simple, but nice boat.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:43 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,955
Likes: 0
Received 307 Likes on 185 Posts
Default

Im a fan of the southern cross but I can't imagine taking a $60K boat and doing all the mods to make it into a scissor rig.... and then throwing a bunch of sappy pine bows in it...
Old 01-01-2021, 04:16 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hatteras Island NC.
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sc 23

Hello everyone, FYI the Downeaster / SC 23 center console will not get blown around ,docking or at drift . The one I own handles very well. Owned a 1978 Sea Ox 23 CC years ago ,awesome boat great heritage for eastern NC as well with others but , the Ox was a real Sail at the dock. Major Bow Drift. Southern Cross 23 handles great ! No Bow swing at the dock or at drift .
Old 01-02-2021, 08:34 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,053
Received 469 Likes on 284 Posts
Default

I'd go southern cross. The intruder is a very well built but also very pricey skiff imo. If your looking at southern cross I'd also look at C-Hawk boats. Running in the sounds you will want something that has some V. Especially on any day worth duck hunting where you want some wind.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.