Notices

Figure Eight Island

Old 08-19-2020, 07:07 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Figure Eight Island

Heading to Figure Eight Island mid September for Mother in laws 70th birthday.


​​​​​​What's the scoop on fishing that time of year? Probably just surf fishing unless you all can convince me to drag the boat up from Florida.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TheSweetDee; 08-19-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:09 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Bay Ridge)
Posts: 14,961
Received 699 Likes on 364 Posts
Default

Wilmington is an awesome boating area!

Drag the boat! You'll be sorry if you don't.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:23 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 105
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Ever been up here? That area is nice for boating. Plenty of ICW and inlets to head East. Fishing normally ramps up in the fall, not sure what though
Old 08-19-2020, 09:38 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 289
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Figure 8

Kings are closer to shore this time of year and always a good time to fish. Redfish bite is good and the Speck bite will start to pick up. I’m not sure if flounder season will be in at that time.

Figure 8 Island has a couple of boat launches for residents. If your family member is an owner they will know how to get your boat on the island and where you can park your trailer.

There is a marina on the water at Scott’s Hill to gas up. This is located about 2+ miles north of the island swing bridge on the waterway.

The inlet to use if offshore would be Masonboro at Wrightsville Beach. (You can gas at Wrightsville as well) Going out of Topsail inlet is doable but only if you know the area. Rich’s and Mason’s inlet on either end of the island are not marked and unless you know the area do not try to use. The water on both ends and behind the island are great for fishing. Inshore fishing around Scott’s Hill and Topsail is pretty good this time of year. The jetties at Masonboro are always a good spot.




Likes:
Old 08-20-2020, 02:19 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 4,189
Received 570 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

Surf will be holding Reds, Trout & Flounders.
False Albies off the beach.
Should be good fishing all around.
PM me when you get up here, I'll keep you updated...... ICM
Here's why I know it.........

Likes:
amf282, Blue_Moon, Inshore24, kaz280, Logan311, TDog8 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:56 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ILM
Posts: 145
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

As others have said, it's a great area to fish or just explore. I spend a lot of time on the backside of the Figure 8 area. Then again, tons of other folks do too.
Likes:
Old 08-20-2020, 06:24 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Esuomm1 View Post
Wilmington is an awesome boating area!

Drag the boat! You'll be sorry if you don't.
Okay fine twist my arm!
Likes:
Old 08-20-2020, 06:26 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jaws12 View Post
Ever been up here? That area is nice for boating. Plenty of ICW and inlets to head East. Fishing normally ramps up in the fall, not sure what though
I've been up there a dozen times and honestly never paid any attention to the area. Went to the beach a few times and that's about it.
Likes:
Old 08-20-2020, 06:32 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fishorwife View Post
Kings are closer to shore this time of year and always a good time to fish. Redfish bite is good and the Speck bite will start to pick up. I’m not sure if flounder season will be in at that time.

Figure 8 Island has a couple of boat launches for residents. If your family member is an owner they will know how to get your boat on the island and where you can park your trailer.

There is a marina on the water at Scott’s Hill to gas up. This is located about 2+ miles north of the island swing bridge on the waterway.

The inlet to use if offshore would be Masonboro at Wrightsville Beach. (You can gas at Wrightsville as well) Going out of Topsail inlet is doable but only if you know the area. Rich’s and Mason’s inlet on either end of the island are not marked and unless you know the area do not try to use. The water on both ends and behind the island are great for fishing. Inshore fishing around Scott’s Hill and Topsail is pretty good this time of year. The jetties at Masonboro are always a good spot.
Thank you for the detailed information. They are not owners on the island. They reside in Porters Neck Plantation and have rented a beach house.

If we bring the boat up I would want to find a slip somewhere near the beach house. Figure Eight Island Yacht Club is very close to the house but it's members only as far as I can tell.

What's the closest slip I can use?
Old 08-20-2020, 06:33 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Surf will be holding Reds, Trout & Flounders.
False Albies off the beach.
Should be good fishing all around.
PM me when you get up here, I'll keep you updated...... ICM
Here's why I know it.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVHlIy0It8
Thank you! Will definitely take you up on a updated fishing report.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:37 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 9,049
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Default

Ask the beach house owners if you as a tenant could rent a slip at the F8 marina. Or anywhere on a private dock nearby. Sometimes they know who to talk to.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:53 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Corndog38 View Post
Ask the beach house owners if you as a tenant could rent a slip at the F8 marina. Or anywhere on a private dock nearby. Sometimes they know who to talk to.
Thank you. Will do.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 103
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Your family may have access to the Porters Neck Ramp on Bald Eagle Lane, not a lot of parking nor much ramp. Learned that one the hard way
Old 08-21-2020, 06:28 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 4,189
Received 570 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by james_F View Post
Your family may have access to the Porters Neck Ramp on Bald Eagle Lane, not a lot of parking nor much ramp. Learned that one the hard way
The ramp is a fine, need a key to enter. Parking is a pain, few parking spots & have to unhitch your trailer everytime.
Fig8 has a great ramp, you can't leave your truck & trailer there after launching . Needs to be moved to your rental.....ICM
Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 49
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Ask your landlord about the marina and if they are a member of the yacht club, most homeowners are, or call the homeowners association and just ask them what the process is if there is one. Don't call the yacht club, it really only deals with the dining aspect. There is a process for getting your guests access to the yacht club amenities but have never done it before.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:45 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 463
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

Work got in the way and we didn't have time to bring the boat up. Going to be surf fishing unless anyone has any other suggestions.

What's biting on the beach? What to use for bait? Assume sand flea and shrimp?
Old 09-11-2020, 06:12 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 4,189
Received 570 Likes on 282 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheSweetDee View Post
Work got in the way and we didn't have time to bring the boat up. Going to be surf fishing unless anyone has any other suggestions.

What's biting on the beach? What to use for bait? Assume sand flea and shrimp?
Check your PM....... ICM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.