Notices

Last night on Murray

Old 08-16-2020, 04:02 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default Last night on Murray

This was a few hundred yards outside my folks cove. Amazingly nobody got killed. Details still scarce. Upper part of the lake near the split in the rivers.







Old 08-16-2020, 04:08 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,263
Received 1,083 Likes on 593 Posts
Default

Damn.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midlands, SC
Posts: 64
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Buffalo Creek? I saw a sea tow boat headed that way around 8am
Old 08-16-2020, 06:05 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

wow. Thanks for the pics. I heard about that earlier but only limited details.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:47 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crspang View Post
Buffalo Creek? I saw a sea tow boat headed that way around 8am
Further up stream. Right off Osprey Point is my understanding. That's about 1/2 mile before the rivers split to go towards Blacks Bridge and Big Mans.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:03 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Midlands, SC
Posts: 64
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Further up stream. Right off Osprey Point is my understanding. That's about 1/2 mile before the rivers split to go towards Blacks Bridge and Big Mans.
Gotcha
Old 08-16-2020, 08:06 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 910
Received 506 Likes on 253 Posts
Default

Was that a houseboat or a camper on the shoreline?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:31 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NC_Native View Post
Was that a houseboat or a camper on the shoreline?
houseboat, underway at the time, with 2 people on board. Neither had major injuries as I understand it. Appears the bay boat hit the port bow.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:36 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio (Lake Erie)
Posts: 2,726
Received 1,001 Likes on 541 Posts
Default

Night boating. Gee whatever could go wrong....
Old 08-16-2020, 08:48 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Walleye Guy View Post
Night boating. Gee whatever could go wrong....
I lived a few hundred yards from where this happened for several years. Still there a lot at night with a 30 min ride home. There has got to be more to the story than what is out currently. Water is wide open there, with very little shoreline light pollution.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:24 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 340
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I lived a few hundred yards from where this happened for several years. Still there a lot at night with a 30 min ride home. There has got to be more to the story than what is out currently. Water is wide open there, with very little shoreline light pollution.
No running lights could be a cause. On a moonless/cloud covered night it wouldnt be hard for this to happen.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crspang View Post
Buffalo Creek? I saw a sea tow boat headed that way around 8am
Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Further up stream. Right off Osprey Point is my understanding. That's about 1/2 mile before the rivers split to go towards Blacks Bridge and Big Mans.
Originally Posted by crspang View Post
Gotcha
Just talked to my uncle who saw the response lights from his boat. I misunderstood the direction....it was a bit upstream from the split of the rivers towards Blacks Bridge. Between the split and Blackgate East, in view of the split.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:53 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Came across this a few min ago.

https://www.facebook.com/troy.bennet...0437367302973/

Old 08-17-2020, 08:50 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 515
Received 1,432 Likes on 690 Posts
Default

One day we will go to no wake after sunset.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by REMfish7 View Post
One day we will go to no wake after sunset.
Hopefully I never live to see that day. Would love to see DNR fiercely enforce lighting standards on the lake. Way too many boats with improper lights or lights being obscured by tops, aux lighting/etc. Also shoreline lights are beginning to become a major hazard in some places.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Hartwell, SC
Posts: 91
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Hopefully I never live to see that day. Would love to see DNR fiercely enforce lighting standards on the lake. Way too many boats with improper lights or lights being obscured by tops, aux lighting/etc. Also shoreline lights are beginning to become a major hazard in some places.
I moved to Lake Hartwell 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not out at night often but I've never seen so many people running with dock lights on & such. I'm surprised how much harder it becomes to gauge a boats direction & speed that way. I was more used to the FL intracoastal and it was usually red/green/white and people running along the channel. I'm good with your suggestion of enforcing lighting standards.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:10 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bobcs71 View Post
I moved to Lake Hartwell 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not out at night often but I've never seen so many people running with dock lights on & such. I'm surprised how much harder it becomes to gauge a boats direction & speed that way. I was more used to the FL intracoastal and it was usually red/green/white and people running along the channel. I'm good with your suggestion of enforcing lighting standards.
Hartwell is no place to mess around with jacked up lighting. One thing we don't have on Murray is piling type day markers. Those are unforgiving at night. Idiots with docking lights blinding other folks don't make them any easier to see. I really wish they would mandate hooking docking lights to an annoying on board buzzer so that they annoy the piss out of anyone that uses them improperly.
Likes:
Old 08-17-2020, 10:51 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location:
Posts: 7,036
Likes: 0
Received 449 Likes on 206 Posts
Default

Improper lighting is what I see the most at night around my area. Tiny little lights with clouded lenses that are about as useful as a damned Bic lighter.... And as always, people going way too fast for the conditions...
Likes:
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,346
Received 9,222 Likes on 4,979 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bailey Boat View Post
Improper lighting is what I see the most at night around my area. Tiny little lights with clouded lenses that are about as useful as a damned Bic lighter.... And as always, people going way too fast for the conditions...
For sure. The ones that piss me off are the guys with jon boats that have about 2' of mast on their stern/allround light. Can't see the thing except coming at them from one particular corner from the rear, as it's blocked by either the outboard, the boat, or their body the majority of the time.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:01 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 7
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Hartwell is no place to mess around with jacked up lighting. One thing we don't have on Murray is piling type day markers. Those are unforgiving at night. Idiots with docking lights blinding other folks don't make them any easier to see. I really wish they would mandate hooking docking lights to an annoying on board buzzer so that they annoy the piss out of anyone that uses them improperly.
Except for the piling at the little gap to Dreher...that one can sneak up on ya. The lighting that gets me is the pontoon boats with all the "accent lighting" looking like a Christmas tree going down the lake at night.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.