Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > The Carolinas
Reload this Page >

Tournaments and buddies that want to fish......how to

Notices

Tournaments and buddies that want to fish......how to

Old 10-16-2019, 12:11 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Tournaments and buddies that want to fish......how to

When a guy owns a boat and has a buddy or buddies that ď want to fishĒ how do ya handle it?

do you bluntly lay out expected shared costs?
do you bluntly lay down rules on equipment, leaders, etc?

i understand most splits include the boat getting a share IF prizes are awarded.

thereís tournament fees
GAS
washing the boat and prep beforehand

if there is a disagreement in rigging do ya bluntly say, this is how we will rig/ fish.

obviously if there are differences in opinions, it probably best to fun fish with those buddies but not tournament fish.

everything needs to be handled and agreed upon beforehand.

what about the guys that want to fish a tournament with ya but never bring up pitching in on any of the work or fees? I guess that should be a no brainer.

just curious about what experiences some of you may have had. From what Iíve learned, I think the best team mate is a wife then next is a son or daughter. No real split and no issues.

got a guy Iíd like to fish with just not sure best way to proceed
or the best way to NOT proceed if things canít be agreed upon.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,225
Received 607 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

That's an easy answer....

Not only yes, but hell yes!

My buddy ownes a boat and we had talked about fishing a couple of tournaments this past summer. We talked about the fees to enter, Calcuttas, fuel, bait, etc. We also talked about splitting the winnings if we had a good tournament. He wanted 50/50, I said 50/40 and 10% for the boat, which he was happy to agree to.

I know a boat doesn't run on thanks (and thanks to tournament fishing, we won enough that I bought myself a boat!) I was happy to chip in, but I also fish so I understand what's going on. If your buddy gets mad at you expecting to split the tournament fees, etc. then maybe he shouldn't be fishing.
Likes:
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Stuart FL
Posts: 747
Received 271 Likes on 176 Posts
Default

So have you fished with him before? And maby" their" way might be more effective or you may learn something new. Kinda looks like you looking for something to argue about or reason to not fish with anyone else. If you have had success with wife and kids stick with it. As far cost, that is up to each individual owner of boat. If you ask 12 owners your probably gonna get 12 different answers.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:49 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
That's an easy answer....

Not only yes, but hell yes!

My buddy ownes a boat and we had talked about fishing a couple of tournaments this past summer. We talked about the fees to enter, Calcuttas, fuel, bait, etc. We also talked about splitting the winnings if we had a good tournament. He wanted 50/50, I said 50/40 and 10% for the boat, which he was happy to agree to.

I know a boat doesn't run on thanks (and thanks to tournament fishing, we won enough that I bought myself a boat!) I was happy to chip in, but I also fish so I understand what's going on. If your buddy gets mad at you expecting to split the tournament fees, etc. then maybe he shouldn't be fishing.
great input!
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rundeep View Post
So have you fished with him before? And maby" their" way might be more effective or you may learn something new. Kinda looks like you looking for something to argue about or reason to not fish with anyone else. If you have had success with wife and kids stick with it. As far cost, that is up to each individual owner of boat. If you ask 12 owners your probably gonna get 12 different answers.
we actually fish the same and have fished together a good bit. Minor differences on tackle but no big deals there.
Iím looking for advice on what has/hasnít worked for others . May decide not to tournament fish together or we may fish tournaments. More so looking for best way to proceed or not proceed without hurting a friendship. Money hasnít been mentioned by either of us. We only fish together about 5 times a year. Gas money is never requested or offered. The guy helped my son fix his car a few years back. Weíve always been that way with each other but once you throw REAL expenses in, things change. The friendship is more important.
ive heard of some friends getting into it on where to fish how to fish, who catches the bait who pays for this or that.
There may be a tad of truth in what you say about me possibly wanting to fish alone at least until everything is agreed upon FIRST.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:35 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Smyrna, North Carolina
Posts: 955
Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

We split all fees equally and if there are tournament winnings each person gets a share. I donít necessarily agree with this as I believe the boat should get a share butÖ our boat owner doesnít want that.

we all discuss our techniques, location to fish etc. and we all generally agree. We may be an anomaly as we all get along great and agree with one another. If someone joins us and has differing opinions as ďusĒ they typically wonít last long.
Likes:
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redjonesbrother View Post
We split all fees equally and if there are tournament winnings each person gets a share. I donít necessarily agree with this as I believe the boat should get a share butÖ our boat owner doesnít want that.

we all discuss our techniques, location to fish etc. and we all generally agree. We may be an anomaly as we all get along great and agree with one another. If someone joins us and has differing opinions as ďusĒ they typically wonít last long.
makes sense. If potential team mates offer to pay for water pumps, ring free oil gas tackle then no issue.

where I also see potential problems is if a person wants to fish a tournament here and there but never mentions pitching in on anything including fees, then reels in the big whatever kind of fish and expects a big pay out.

if I wanted to fish with someone, tournament or not, Iím offering to pay ALL of the gas. If thereís tournament fees I expect to pay half. Boat owners have expenses that non boat owners donít realize. If I say, ď letís go fishingĒ Iím saying I want to fish with you and I got the expenses covered. If you offer to help with gas Iíll let you pay some of the bill but not a pre requesit. Tournaments are a different animal all together. Both parties should KNOW what is fair and what is expected.

when someone wants to fish a tournament with you but never brings up costs or sharing fees thatís where it gets hairy. He comes down from va. and is a hull truther. Donít want him to see this!😂😂 Iím sorta kinda holding back on what I say!😂😂
Old 10-16-2019, 03:08 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: N.E. Tennessee
Posts: 451
Received 475 Likes on 203 Posts
Default

Yes, there are some quandary's there.With a tournament. If money is won, all boat expenses (bait, fuel, etc...) should come out of any winnings before any split is even considered. I used to fish in a bass club that had rules where the non boater could end up paying the boater more than the fuel expenses of travel and on the lake. Most guys were content with an even split but there were some that took what they could get. I once paid one guys gas to and from the lake, fuel on the lake AND his hotel room. This was for a tournement that might pay $100.00 to win.

I took some people that we know out laker fishing last Sunday. I invited them as I was going anyways. They offered to pay for gas, but I didn't let them. They'll buy me and the wife a few drinks the next time that we see them at Logans. I was going anyway. I ran the outboard perhaps 7 miles and the kicker (which sips gas) for a few hours. It was nice to have company.

Now if someone were to invite me to go out on a bigger boat. There is no way in God's green Earth that I am not paying for the fuel.

People roll differently. Some take. Some give.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,225
Received 607 Likes on 274 Posts
Default

Or take your friend, win money and pocket it all. If he complains, remind him that he didn't kick in!
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
Yes, there are some quandary's there.With a tournament. If money is won, all boat expenses (bait, fuel, etc...) should come out of any winnings before any split is even considered. I used to fish in a bass club that had rules where the non boater could end up paying the boater more than the fuel expenses of travel and on the lake. Most guys were content with an even split but there were some that took what they could get. I once paid one guys gas to and from the lake, fuel on the lake AND his hotel room. This was for a tournement that might pay $100.00 to win.

I took some people that we know out laker fishing last Sunday. I invited them as I was going anyways. They offered to pay for gas, but I didn't let them. They'll buy me and the wife a few drinks the next time that we see them at Logans. I was going anyway. I ran the outboard perhaps 7 miles and the kicker (which sips gas) for a few hours. It was nice to have company.

Now if someone were to invite me to go out on a bigger boat. There is no way in God's green Earth that I am not paying for the fuel.

People roll differently. Some take. Some give.
You and I roll exactly the same. Our buddies differ in one way. Yours offers!
Likes:
Old 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,071
Received 1,218 Likes on 677 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
Or take your friend, win money and pocket it all. If he complains, remind him that he didn't kick in!
This. You said he has fished with you before and never offered fuel money. I would not count on him to contribute.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gary999 View Post
This. You said he has fished with you before and never offered fuel money. I would not count on him to contribute.
probably right. I like fishing with him and really donít mind paying the gas fun fishing but tournament fishing costs way more as Iím sure ya know. Love fishing with him but think we need to do it right from the get go. Hear tales of friendships going south and I sure wouldnít want that!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 513
Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts
Default

Why don't you just talk to him? You are buddies after all. Most people go the route of splitting ALL costs associated with the tourney (Gas, bait, entry fee, etc) and then the same with any winnings. I think most do a share to the boat as well. I personally think the boat should be treated like a person. If there's three of you then split it four ways. One other thing to consider is taxes. As the captain you are going to have the check written to you so you will be hit with the taxes. Make sure you take that out before any winnings are dispersed. I've also been a part of a situation where nothing was expected from me monetarily. The captain wanted family to fish but also wanted one to go along who knew what they were doing. We never won anything but if we did I wouldn't have expected a dime of winnings. I was just happy to go along and fish and help out.

The tackle situation you just need to talk about. Most of the time we use mostly my tackle that I buy but I don't care as I want it right and I also somewhat enjoy doing that stuff in the evenings. For bait I don't know what kind of tournaments you are considering but King Mackerel tourneys can be a pain in the butt when it comes to bait. That is something else to discuss as that is going to depend on schedules. Last year about broke me on wanting to fish King tourneys. I spent probably 3x as much time looking for bait as I did actually fishing only to have most of it die due to crappy water from Florence.

I'd recommend starting with a few cheap tourneys. That way you can see how you like it. Tourney fishing is not for everyone and it takes the fun out of it for some. I like them but don't love them. The stress of bait, where to go etc is a lot. I have no idea how some of the teams fish just about every weekend with some weekends being multiple tournaments. After Nationals last year I swore I wasn't fishing another one as I was burnt out on it. I never wanted to see another 12 foot net again LOL.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AB1620 View Post
Why don't you just talk to him? You are buddies after all. Most people go the route of splitting ALL costs associated with the tourney (Gas, bait, entry fee, etc) and then the same with any winnings. I think most do a share to the boat as well. I personally think the boat should be treated like a person. If there's three of you then split it four ways. One other thing to consider is taxes. As the captain you are going to have the check written to you so you will be hit with the taxes. Make sure you take that out before any winnings are dispersed. I've also been a part of a situation where nothing was expected from me monetarily. The captain wanted family to fish but also wanted one to go along who knew what they were doing. We never won anything but if we did I wouldn't have expected a dime of winnings. I was just happy to go along and fish and help out.

The tackle situation you just need to talk about. Most of the time we use mostly my tackle that I buy but I don't care as I want it right and I also somewhat enjoy doing that stuff in the evenings. For bait I don't know what kind of tournaments you are considering but King Mackerel tourneys can be a pain in the butt when it comes to bait. That is something else to discuss as that is going to depend on schedules. Last year about broke me on wanting to fish King tourneys. I spent probably 3x as much time looking for bait as I did actually fishing only to have most of it die due to crappy water from Florence.

I'd recommend starting with a few cheap tourneys. That way you can see how you like it. Tourney fishing is not for everyone and it takes the fun out of it for some. I like them but don't love them. The stress of bait, where to go etc is a lot. I have no idea how some of the teams fish just about every weekend with some weekends being multiple tournaments. After Nationals last year I swore I wasn't fishing another one as I was burnt out on it. I never wanted to see another 12 foot net again LOL.
I feel ya on the net! It was tough last two tournaments driving and trying to throw a big net. Great insight! Thanks
Old 10-20-2019, 06:59 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Stem, NC
Posts: 356
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Had a friend of mine want to do an inshore tournament last year. I booked the hotel room, paid entry fee, bought all bait. He never offered to help pay. We are still friends but I wont do another tournament with him.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 163 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by outcast19v View Post
Had a friend of mine want to do an inshore tournament last year. I booked the hotel room, paid entry fee, bought all bait. He never offered to help pay. We are still friends but I wont do another tournament with him.
Why would you do that?
Likes:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Holden Beach, North Carolina
Posts: 3,040
Received 753 Likes on 424 Posts
Default

Great conversation that people struggle with but itís not rocket science. With our crew and fishing multiple boats throughout the season, the regular fishing days are the same as tournaments. Everyone splits expenses and fish landed equally. Tournaments the boat gets a share of the winnings. If you want into the upper Calcuttas then your in with who ever wants in with you and those split those winnings. Iím not a huge spender on the Calcuttas since I love to just fish with my crew and they understand that. The guys I fish with love to roll the upper levels so itís clear that they take the winnings if we win. Day before fishing a few get the boat ready, few make ice, few go to the store and get food/beer/etc. Day of fishing we all help out in the most beneficial ways for each persons skills. We get back and a few clean boat, a few clean rods and gear, a few clean fish. Itís not rocket science to us since weíve all been around boats and know what it takes to run them, maintain them, and fish them hard!
Old 10-20-2019, 11:22 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Posts: 387
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Everyone does it different. For my team there are 3 of us , we split all expenses 3 ways and all of our winnings are split with the boat getting a half share. We have had some success over the years and no one ever has a problem with the split. I just wrote them each checks for $23K this weekend.a
As far as taxes are concerned I do 1099ís at the end of the year for my guys , that way they are responsible for there share of the winnings and the taxes. We all do our part. We have fished a lot of tournaments together over the years and get our game plan together before hand , with tackle prep,bait catching and fishing locations. We take a lot of time off of work to put the effort in these tournaments and some times it payed off and most times it donít. Just remember you are out there to have a good time!! Tournament fishing can be stressful on friends if you donít talk thing out. Go have fun

Last edited by SEARAT36; 10-20-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Likes:
Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 552
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

If you own the boat, pay the bills, pay the insurance, pay the storage, etc, etc, etc and you're fishing with buddies who don't offer/insist on helping split all expenses (or bitch about doing so), then find some new fishing buddies.
That's a total dick move if someone doesn't pay their fair share of fuel, bait, food, provisions, etc, in addition to helping clean the boat and fish at the end of the day. You're not a charter!

As for tournaments, we do the same thing: Split all tourney fees, TWT, fishing expenses, etc. Winnings get split the same way.

As for rigging/spread/baits, if you have guys with more experience, listen to their advice and opinion, but ultimately Capt makes the final decision.
Likes:
Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,532
Received 511 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SEARAT36 View Post
Everyone does it different. For my team there are 3 of us , we split all expenses 3 ways and all of our winnings are split with the boat getting a half share. We have had some success over the years and no one ever has a problem with the split. I just wrote them each checks for $23K this weekend.a
As far as taxes are concerned I do 1099ís at the end of the year for my guys , that way they are responsible for there share of the winnings and the taxes. We all do our part. We have fished a lot of tournaments together over the years and get our game plan together before hand , with tackle prep,bait catching and fishing locations. We take a lot of time off of work to put the effort in these tournaments and some times it payed off and most times it donít. Just remember you are out there to have a good time!! Tournament fishing can be stressful on friends if you donít talk thing out. Go have fun
congratulations! Thatís awesome!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.