Notices

Surf City Fire

Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 PM
  #1  
GMW
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 259
Received 266 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Surf City Fire

https://www.wect.com/2019/09/29/mult...ire-surf-city/

Last edited by GMW; 09-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:08 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,163
Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

would hope the various fire depts. could do a better job in putting that fire out but much like calling the cops when someone is breaking into your home. By the time help arrives its usually a little too late. Hope no one was hurt and kinda make me wonder why we don't have sprinkler systems in many of our buildings since its practically impossible to put out a building that is on fire by squirting water on something built to keep water out.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:36 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Topsail, North Carolina
Posts: 256
Received 209 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

Those houses were built, like many others, on a tight road with only one way in and out. There was no way to get to the adjacent homes due to them being so close to the road and with a light wind blowing across it. They were very close together as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:12 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,163
Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Does that area have any building codes? evidently not much
Old 09-30-2019, 06:23 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dudley/Bogue Sound, NC
Posts: 99
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

So don’t blame the firemen. That fire load was a disaster waiting to happen. Not sure what the water supply for that area is, but notice they stopped the fire from regressing back on first few houses, but with the one way in there was no way to get past the fire, setup a “water curtain” to protect the other houses down the line, and protect the lives of the firemen.
Likes:
Old 09-30-2019, 06:33 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cape Fear NC / Surf City NC
Posts: 1,924
Received 626 Likes on 162 Posts
Default



they built them close together down a one lane road stuck out in the marsh - great views but hard to get to by even a mid sized boat / skiff - I was out there at 6ish crazee smoke

Last edited by Logan311; 09-30-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:57 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Topsail, North Carolina
Posts: 256
Received 209 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

Gill, dont be a dick. While I dont agree with houses so close together.....they are that way in many places along the coast nationwide. It was a tough area to fight a fire and with the light SW breeze blowing across the only access rd they could not get where they needed to be.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:11 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,688
Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
would hope the various fire depts. could do a better job in putting that fire out but much like calling the cops when someone is breaking into your home. By the time help arrives its usually a little too late. Hope no one was hurt and kinda make me wonder why we don't have sprinkler systems in many of our buildings since its practically impossible to put out a building that is on fire by squirting water on something built to keep water out.


Until you know about coastal firefighting please go back to your depends, and bitching about recreational anglers.


Please, from your immense firefighting knowledge, how EXACTLY were they supposed to attack this conflagration? You been on these roads before, seen the GPM's that the hydrants are capable of providing?

Get out with that crap.

Last edited by THT Mod 15; 09-30-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: removed f-bomb
Likes:
Old 09-30-2019, 10:51 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,163
Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

anyway you twist it looks to me that fire fighters were not prepared to handle those types of fires and either need to enact some type of fire code for these areas or come up with ways to fight these type fires. looks to me that the canals had plenty of water and even if its a little salty its better than watch several nice homes burn down. Then again we all know that no firefighter is supposed to put themselves in harms way in order to save property.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:10 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,688
Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
anyway you twist it looks to me that fire fighters were not prepared to handle those types of fires and either need to enact some type of fire code for these areas or come up with ways to fight these type fires. looks to me that the canals had plenty of water and even if its a little salty its better than watch several nice homes burn down. Then again we all know that no firefighter is supposed to put themselves in harms way in order to save property.
Your ignorance already got me a warning, so I'll just say it more clearly this time. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

IF you want to blast city and county officials for the building codes and enforcement, then go right ahead.

These fire departments rely on a LOT of volunteer firefighters to make it all work, then add in a Sunday afternoon when they are likely fishing, spending time with family, or resting for a hard week upcoming...then this fire call goes out...that means you are putting your life on the line for someone else's property....now think about that for a minute before you start questioning how and what they were doing.

Now, to your point of the canals being full....can you tell me exactly how the were supposed to get that water from the canals, to the trucks, and to the firefighters? We need some details from you.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:11 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location:
Posts: 777
Likes: 0
Received 121 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

So what the internet has taught us so far is the fire department is inept, the homeowners, builders and developer are dumb greedy bastards and the planning board is stupid. Got it.
Likes:
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 714
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Then again we all know that no firefighter is supposed to put themselves in harms way in order to save property.
Correct. We will save lives if needed though.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:33 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,800
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
would hope the various fire depts. could do a better job in putting that fire out but much like calling the cops when someone is breaking into your home. By the time help arrives its usually a little too late. Hope no one was hurt and kinda make me wonder why we don't have sprinkler systems in many of our buildings since its practically impossible to put out a building that is on fire by squirting water on something built to keep water out.
Doubling down on stupid, yet again. You probably felt the same about the 9/11 first responders. Typical mindset of the low educated.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 257
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
would hope the various fire depts. could do a better job in putting that fire out but much like calling the cops when someone is breaking into your home. By the time help arrives its usually a little too late. Hope no one was hurt and kinda make me wonder why we don't have sprinkler systems in many of our buildings since its practically impossible to put out a building that is on fire by squirting water on something built to keep water out.
First off this is really an ignorant comment not really worth replying to but I will try and educate you a little on this subject.

These are large residential structures that have really close exposures to each other. In the fire service OUR job is to protect life and property. So times whether it's a traffic accident or a structure fire the commanding officer has to make split second decisions on what can be saved. This is all Monday morning quarter backing it so keep that in mind. You have large structures which from what I have seen the fire had a good jump on the departments from the word go. You had limited access you to structures. With limited access in the fire service comes limited water. You made a statement about the canals. Yes you can draft saltwater and fight fire if you can get your apparatus close enough to the water source. The primer pumps on fire trucks can only pull so much of a draft in the hose to "lift" the water from the source to the pump intake. In most cases this is roughly 20-30 feet max (This is not height but total hose length). I have seen pictures and video and never really saw a great place I would want one of my drivers to park our truck. The saying in the fire service is " Big Building = Big Fire = Big Water". I do not know about the water supply on the hydrants in that area so I will not comment on that but I have read where the GPM could be limited. Just know that 1- 2 1/2 hand line can flow 300gpm. On a bad hydrant that is only maybe 2 hand lines to fight fire. One of your other comments talked about getting in-front of the fire. I will agree that in a prefect world that would have worked out great here. Again I go back to limited access. Are you going to run through someone shooting a ton of bullets down a hallway to get another gun or just stand back and fight were you can. One thing I have learned in this world and try to teach all my rookies is that this world revolves around money which I can say is one of the major reason this happened. Building construction is not what it used to be. We are building things lighter and cheaper. This on the fire service side changes things. For one homes burn hotter than they did 20 years ago. Everything that is being used in home and what we "people" bring in our home burns hotter and faster which allows for faster fire growth and spread. I agree with a comment about sprinkler systems but again that will drive the cost of the home up. I have been to many fires over my 16 years of service. Some really large fire and some where we have lost people and firefighters. With every one of those incidents we have always walked away with something we could have done better. We are all humans and make mistakes. I am not saying the FD made a mistake on this day. They where handed a tough job. All in all I dont think anyone was hurt and THINGS can be replaced. Please before you go talking about about a department or people that would drop everything to come help you who they dont know, try and understand the job.
Likes:
2labdad, back at it, dlos, goheelzfan, rainmaker, Reach Runner, rtaggio, thefuzz, Tperkerson and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,163
Received 205 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Well bottom line is the fact that the fire dept was ill prepared for this type of fire and are very lucky the breezes were relatively light. No lives were lost with no injuries reported which is great news. Have no idea as to the cost of a sprinkler system but is probably money well spent if one is interested in saving their home and possibly their lives.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location:
Posts: 19
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I normally don't reply to these type of threads. However, in this case, from my perspective as a retired chief officer with over 30 years service, I will say that in my opinion, Screaming Reels is right on the money. Great post.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:55 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 257
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Well bottom line is the fact that the fire dept was ill prepared for this type of fire and are very lucky the breezes were relatively light. No lives were lost with no injuries reported which is great news. Have no idea as to the cost of a sprinkler system but is probably money well spent if one is interested in saving their home and possibly their lives.
Again a very Ignorant statement. Do you know anything about the fire service? Have you ever ran command of a fire scene? Have you ever had a charcoal grill burn the exact same every time you used it? Fires always burn different. There is no way to be 100% prepared for a structure fire. All you can do is your best with what you are giving. The fire department wasnt "ill" prepared. Showing up with empty water tanks, no ppe, no hose, not enough fuel in the trucks, and not enough trained personnel is "ill prepared". As for the cost of the sprinkler system, on a structure like that maybe $25,000-$50,000. Does your house have one? Has your house caught on fire and needed one? Would you spend that money on something to never use it? Think real world on this. This is what the people buying these homes think about.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:29 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,688
Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Well bottom line is the fact that the fire dept was ill prepared for this type of fire and are very lucky the breezes were relatively light. No lives were lost with no injuries reported which is great news. Have no idea as to the cost of a sprinkler system but is probably money well spent if one is interested in saving their home and possibly their lives.
Just don't know when to step away and admit that you are an ignorant old man huh?

You ever even sprayed water out of more than a garden hose? Nah, didn't think so.

A sprinkler system in each of those homes MAY have slowed down the fire.....MAY have. But not likely.

You are out of your depth, and I can promise you that the guys on the scene know a lot more about structure fires than you can ever hope to learn, shoot, there are at least 3 posters in this thread who know more than you can ever help to learn.

Fires like this particular one are trained for monthly/quarterly as they are some of the most dangerous fires that these guys will ever encounter. Big house fires on barrier islands are a bear, and I can promise you that every firefighter has pre planned for this type of fire. Hell, just a few years ago the same thing happened on South Topsail, that IIRC had a death.

Please stop posting in this thread.
Likes:
Old 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Middle Sound NC
Posts: 1,688
Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Screaming Reels View Post
First off this is really an ignorant comment not really worth replying to but I will try and educate you a little on this subject.

These are large residential structures that have really close exposures to each other. In the fire service OUR job is to protect life and property. So times whether it's a traffic accident or a structure fire the commanding officer has to make split second decisions on what can be saved. This is all Monday morning quarter backing it so keep that in mind. You have large structures which from what I have seen the fire had a good jump on the departments from the word go. You had limited access you to structures. With limited access in the fire service comes limited water. You made a statement about the canals. Yes you can draft saltwater and fight fire if you can get your apparatus close enough to the water source. The primer pumps on fire trucks can only pull so much of a draft in the hose to "lift" the water from the source to the pump intake. In most cases this is roughly 20-30 feet max (This is not height but total hose length). I have seen pictures and video and never really saw a great place I would want one of my drivers to park our truck. The saying in the fire service is " Big Building = Big Fire = Big Water". I do not know about the water supply on the hydrants in that area so I will not comment on that but I have read where the GPM could be limited. Just know that 1- 2 1/2 hand line can flow 300gpm. On a bad hydrant that is only maybe 2 hand lines to fight fire. One of your other comments talked about getting in-front of the fire. I will agree that in a prefect world that would have worked out great here. Again I go back to limited access. Are you going to run through someone shooting a ton of bullets down a hallway to get another gun or just stand back and fight were you can. One thing I have learned in this world and try to teach all my rookies is that this world revolves around money which I can say is one of the major reason this happened. Building construction is not what it used to be. We are building things lighter and cheaper. This on the fire service side changes things. For one homes burn hotter than they did 20 years ago. Everything that is being used in home and what we "people" bring in our home burns hotter and faster which allows for faster fire growth and spread. I agree with a comment about sprinkler systems but again that will drive the cost of the home up. I have been to many fires over my 16 years of service. Some really large fire and some where we have lost people and firefighters. With every one of those incidents we have always walked away with something we could have done better. We are all humans and make mistakes. I am not saying the FD made a mistake on this day. They where handed a tough job. All in all I dont think anyone was hurt and THINGS can be replaced. Please before you go talking about about a department or people that would drop everything to come help you who they dont know, try and understand the job.
I know this part of the island very well, drafting for this fire would have been all but impossible.

Thank you for your service and this post, wish you didn't have to write it.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Topsail, North Carolina
Posts: 256
Received 209 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

I was with the Topsail Beach Vol Fire Dept when we lost the houses on Boryk Ave years ago. 1 house went up and the others didnt stand a chance. Also being on a small dead end road there was no way to get around the fire. To say that a structure fire is hot....you just dont know until you have fought one in turnout gear. Radiant heat is incredible and causes adjacent properties to catch without direct contact with flames. Add some wind and houses close together and its a damn mess. In this recent fire no one was killed or injured, much to be thankful for.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.