Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > REGIONAL BOATING & FISHING GROUPS > The Carolinas
Reload this Page >

FPT or 23-Mile Rock? Distance and species variety

Notices

FPT or 23-Mile Rock? Distance and species variety

Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default FPT or 23-Mile Rock? Distance and species variety

Looking to do some ballyhoo trolling and cut bait bottom fishing at some point next week. If you had a choice, is there a preferred location - out of Southport to Frying Pan Tower area or out of Masonboro Inlet to 23-mile Rock?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 152
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

I fish both of those and I would still say FPT this time of year. Better bottom fishing, closer to gamefish (mahi only a little further at black jack etc), good king bite. I would say 23 mile a little further into summer in my book
Likes:
Old 06-13-2019, 06:21 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I fished at the 23-mile rock for bottom and got plenty of b-liners. I haven't hit FPT yet.
Likes:
Old 06-16-2019, 06:24 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Thanks Russ and SailMeeting. curious about the time it takes to reach each of them from our potential launch points: Southport/CFR to FPT or Masonboro inlet to 23-Mile Rock. out of the inlets, if weíre pushing ~25-28mph, are we talking 60, 75, or 80+ minutes? Assuming weíd have to swing wide southwest for FPT to avoid the shoals...no?
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZDogCajun View Post
Thanks Russ and SailMeeting. curious about the time it takes to reach each of them from our potential launch points: Southport/CFR to FPT or Masonboro inlet to 23-Mile Rock. out of the inlets, if weíre pushing ~25-28mph, are we talking 60, 75, or 80+ minutes? Assuming weíd have to swing wide southwest for FPT to avoid the shoals...no?
Yesterday, i ran masonboro to 23 at 25-28 it took 60 minutes. 2 foot seas. I did it a couple of weeks ago in 3-4 seas about 75-80 minutes. Ran 20-25 all the way there. Iím running 21 SH 150 hp.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elon / Wilmington
Posts: 62
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post


Yesterday, i ran masonboro to 23 at 25-28 it took 60 minutes. 2 foot seas. I did it a couple of weeks ago in 3-4 seas about 75-80 minutes. Ran 20-25 all the way there. Iím running 21 SH 150 hp.
how did you end up doing? I was at 23 mike rocks yesterday as well, probably ran across you a time or two. A lot of people out fishing yesterday.
Likes:
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by usmcsvt98 View Post


how did you end up doing? I was at 23 mike rocks yesterday as well, probably ran across you a time or two. A lot of people out fishing yesterday.
Yes it was lots of people trolling near. Once we got back in a guy was telling me about it was a king tournament. I seen about 5 kings boated while out there. limit out on B-Liner, a few Black Sea Bass and some Pinks.
How you do?
Likes:
Old 06-16-2019, 10:50 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post
limit out on B-Liner, a few Black Sea Bass and some Pinks.
Were you using the same rig and cut bait for the snapper as for the BSB? Thinking of cutting up (thin strips) and dropping a (little tunny) Bonita to see what bites?
Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZDogCajun View Post


Were you using the same rig and cut bait for the snapper as for the BSB? Thinking of cutting up (thin strips) and dropping a (little tunny) Bonita to see what bites?
Yeah thatís what I was doing. My last trip out I used cut up Bonita and we limited out of BLiners within a hour. With the BSB yesterday we caught and release plenty that were to small. Once we increase the bait size to bigger pieces we pulled up a 15 and 20 BSB.(length not pounds) lol
Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elon / Wilmington
Posts: 62
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post


Yes it was lots of people trolling near. Once we got back in a guy was telling me about it was a king tournament. I seen about 5 kings boated while out there. limit out on B-Liner, a few Black Sea Bass and some Pinks.
How you do?
we did pretty pretty good, only trolled for about 30 minutes, didnít feel like dodging other boats. Limited on vermillions easily but couldnít find any bsb to save my life. Did pull in a 35lb Cobia that decided it wanted 7 inch live bait.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by usmcsvt98 View Post


we did pretty pretty good, only trolled for about 30 minutes, didnít feel like dodging other boats. Limited on vermillions easily but couldnít find any bsb to save my life. Did pull in a 35lb Cobia that decided it wanted 7 inch live bait.

Sound like me. We put the rods out for trolling like 5 minutes and then said the same thing. Started searching for BSB. You fish out of Masonboro Inlet often?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:14 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elon / Wilmington
Posts: 62
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post


Sound like me. We put the rods out for trolling like 5 minutes and then said the same thing. Started searching for BSB. You fish out of Masonboro Inlet often?
I live 3 hours away in Burlington. But I try to get down to fish at least once a month. Almost always Masonboro, occasionally Southport.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:35 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by usmcsvt98 View Post

I live 3 hours away in Burlington. But I try to get down to fish at least once a month. Almost always Masonboro, occasionally Southport.
Same for me, Iím coming for Raleigh area but here once a month at least. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested in buddy boating on a trip.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post
Same for me, Iím coming for Raleigh area but here once a month at least. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested in buddy boating on a trip.
Same here...live in Raleigh and making the trip this Thursday (if weather holds). I donít own a boat...been renting boats for the last 3 years. Either out of Topsail or Wrightsville Beach. So much easier than insurance and upkeep of owning.

PM me if anyone is going out this Thursday.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZDogCajun View Post


Same here...live in Raleigh and making the trip this Thursday (if weather holds). I donít own a boat...been renting boats for the last 3 years. Either out of Topsail or Wrightsville Beach. So much easier than insurance and upkeep of owning.

PM me if anyone is going out this Thursday.


You are going out in this?
Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post
You are going out in this?
Ha. Nah thatís why I said if the weather holds. Lightning? Heck no. Otherwise, yes. If too choppy Iíll just fish the flats inland. But if itís something Iíve learned over these years, you canít ever really trust the coastal weather forecast until youíre a few hours out.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:27 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZDogCajun View Post
Ha. Nah thatís why I said if the weather holds. Lightning? Heck no. Otherwise, yes. If too choppy Iíll just fish the flats inland. But if itís something Iíve learned over these years, you canít ever really trust the coastal weather forecast until youíre a few hours out.
Lol ok. I will be watching over the next few days and will get in touch with you.
Likes:
Old 06-29-2019, 12:11 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SailMeeting View Post
Lol ok. I will be watching over the next few days and will get in touch with you.
So after 3 failed attempts to get out there from Raleigh since my first post, I think weíre going to try again next Friday. Iím envious of USMCís pics posted from the other day. 🐟🐠🎣🚤. Looks like it will be a good lunar-tide-wave alignment for a first half of the day trip.

If weather holds, anyone looking for a buddy boat out of Masonboro Inlet around 7am on the 5th; heading to 23?
Likes:
Old 06-29-2019, 03:58 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just purchased a 211 Ultra with a 150hp, I also run out of masonboro and live in Raleigh too. How much fuel are you burning on the run to FPT and to 23 rock?
Old 06-29-2019, 07:08 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Greensboro/ Hampstead
Posts: 192
Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Very possibly heading to 23MR on the 5th. Just to early to tell for sure. Hope it is as flat as it was this morning. Would be going out of Topsail, more like 5:30- 6:00.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.