Notices
Like Tree72Likes

Shark attack at Ft. Macon today

Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 169
Default

Originally Posted by r_ventura_23 View Post
Did you report this? Maybe this tragedy could of been avoided.

Yep, call 911 and let them know a shark is in the water.
Wicked4659 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

A well fed shark is not likely to attack anyone or anything , no telling how many shark attacks have been prevented over the years due to trawl bycatch. Think about it before you jump all over the old GNFlounderman.
gillnetflounderman is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:56 AM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
A well fed shark is not likely to attack anyone or anything , no telling how many shark attacks have been prevented over the years due to trawl bycatch. Think about it before you jump all over the old GNFlounderman.
I actually agree with you on this. Furthermore as kids we caught every damn shark we could for the fun. Everybody did. They got their heads bashed and thrown back. Dead sharks put off a chemical that actually repels other sharks. FACT. There folks is the real reason thereís more ass chewins. Canít shark fish cuz these dumbass odlfficials are stupid when it comes to sharks. Never had them around the piers and there were no bites NO bites until they got protection. Never learn!
Tossedabout is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM
  #64  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,273
Default

Originally Posted by Tossedabout View Post

I actually agree with you on this. Furthermore as kids we caught every damn shark we could for the fun. Everybody did. They got their heads bashed and thrown back. Dead sharks put off a chemical that actually repels other sharks. FACT. There folks is the real reason thereís more ass chewins. Canít shark fish cuz these dumbass odlfficials are stupid when it comes to sharks. Never had them around the piers and there were no bites NO bites until they got protection. Never learn!
How can you have people catch sharks on the piers and yet have no sharks around the piers?
olsaltydog is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 993
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
How can you have people catch sharks on the piers and yet have no sharks around the piers?
Obviously they have been an always will be there but not the number and sizes we are seeing. Years back you never saw them cruising up and down the piers like you do now. Once in a blue moon a shark would take a bite out of a king when someone would be reeling one in. Now itís very common. Before they were protected people went after them. Numbers and size were much less. Now that You canít fish for them in many areas they are like fleas. Walk out on cherry grove or Apache pier. Then go on the piers where shirking is allowed. Day and night difference.
Tossedabout is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM
  #66  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,273
Default

Originally Posted by Tossedabout View Post

Obviously they have been an always will be there but not the number and sizes we are seeing. Years back you never saw them cruising up and down the piers like you do now. Once in a blue moon a shark would take a bite out of a king when someone would be reeling one in. Now itís very common. Before they were protected people went after them. Numbers and size were much less. Now that You canít fish for them in many areas they are like fleas. Walk out on cherry grove or Apache pier. Then go on the piers where shirking is allowed. Day and night difference.
Not sure about that either, my father has pictures of him and his buddy fishing the OBX piers in high school in either mid to late 70's. Several photos of big sharks as well, one tiger, even a hammerhead. Hard to make out some sun bleached photos clearly to see species. Would talk about the hoist system they had on the pier to haul up those large catches. So I would say they where always there, our memory may not remember what it really was like.

I won't lie, there was a large decline due to the heavily increased pressure put on sharks in the late 70's/80's and 90's. It may be the reason why our memories are saying this used to never happen because sharks where reduced in numbers and less people at the beach Now with shark numbers rebounding and many times more people heading to the beach it seems reasonable that we may see an increase in shark activity.
olsaltydog is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:45 AM
  #67  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: over yonder
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
A well fed shark is not likely to attack anyone or anything , no telling how many shark attacks have been prevented over the years due to trawl bycatch. Think about it before you jump all over the old GNFlounderman.
Ok you have topped yourself, this is by far the dumbest post on bycatch I've ever read.
bigjohnnc likes this.
ccat is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

Originally Posted by ccat View Post
Ok you have topped yourself, this is by far the dumbest post on bycatch I've ever read.
makes more sense than some idiot trying to convince us that the shrimpers in Pamlico Sound are the reason there are no grey trout, croaker or spots from Mass to Florida.
gillnetflounderman is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:58 AM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
makes more sense than some idiot trying to convince us that the shrimpers in Pamlico Sound are the reason there are no grey trout, croaker or spots from Mass to Florida.
Not really when you consider the fact that Pamlico sound is the second largest estuary in the country and we sweep clean the spawning grounds every year.

Maybe they should feed bears all the leftovers from restaurants out west to prevent a bear attack?
ccat likes this.
nc23mako is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:06 AM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

Originally Posted by nc23mako View Post
Not really when you consider the fact that Pamlico sound is the second largest estuary in the country and we sweep clean the spawning grounds every year.

Maybe they should feed bears all the leftovers from restaurants out west to prevent a bear attack?
bears will attack humans for many reasons while sharks are probably just hungry. Just thinking out loud again but do you suppose that the constant clean sweep of Pamlico sound every year would eventually end up seeing a lot less bycatch being caught? The best minds seem to think that the major culprit is natural predation which of course no one can or will do anything about.
gillnetflounderman is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
makes more sense than some idiot trying to convince us that the shrimpers in Pamlico Sound are the reason there are no grey trout, croaker or spots from Mass to Florida.
makes sense to me and I'm just a dumb sumbeetchÖ

ccat likes this.
Rick S is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:07 PM
  #72  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: over yonder
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
makes sense to me and I'm just a dumb sumbeetchÖ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biAIF7v6uPA
you know he donít understand facts donít you?
ccat is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM
  #73  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by ccat View Post


you know he donít understand facts donít you?
Oh, he understands. Heís a pure troll.

....but, heís well versed in the commercial diatribe. He provides an opportunity to refute the ďcompany lineĒ.

ccat likes this.
Rick S is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

Just trying to present the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. That's why we have prosecution and defense attorneys in our court rooms. The truth is good but the Whole truth is most important.
gillnetflounderman is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:23 AM
  #75  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Just trying to present the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say. That's why we have prosecution and defense attorneys in our court rooms. The truth is good but the Whole truth is most important.
I disagree with almost everything you say but I sure do admire your tenacity.
nc23mako is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:27 AM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

Got no problem with anyone that disagrees with my opinion but am sadden somewhat when folks rather believe a lie than the truth because it fits their agenda.
gillnetflounderman is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:10 AM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,606
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Got no problem with anyone that disagrees with my opinion but am sadden somewhat when folks rather believe a lie than the truth because it fits their agenda.
Pot~Kettle~Black.
back at it is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:47 AM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by gillnetflounderman View Post
Got no problem with anyone that disagrees with my opinion but am sadden somewhat when folks rather believe a lie than the truth because it fits their agenda.
...coming from a documented unapologetic bigot and racist. Delusional!
Rick S is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM
  #79  
4/0
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: OIB
Posts: 1,870
Default

Must be me . But I thought that this thread was about something else ?






I think another thread can be started to continue the match.
bigjohnnc and aFORDable like this.
4/0 is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 AM
  #80  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 899
Default

Originally Posted by 4/0 View Post
must be me . But i thought that this thread was about something else ?






i think another thread can be started to continue the match.
agree 100%
gillnetflounderman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread