Notices

NC/SC ICW This Weekend

Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Default NC/SC ICW This Weekend

We have a trip planned to go to North Myrtle Beach this weekend. Saturday, I am going to launch from the Johnny Causey Boat Landing. We are just planning to do some cruising, maybe hit a sandbar or two on the way up towards Wilmington/Wrightsville beach area.

What's the approximate distance from downtown Wilmington city docks to the Johnny Causey landing by ICW?

We will be running a Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman. Nothing fancy, usually cruise between 20-30mph. Just trying to plan the day to see what all we will have time to do.

Any recommendations for food and entertainment stops along the way?

Thanks!
2Smoker119 is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 07:12 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,396
Default

Curious regarding food myself in that area. Planning a trip later this summer. Based on the bit of research I've done so far, you may want to fuel up at Cricket Cove. According to the Waterway Guide app their fuel is the cheapest around.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,742
Default

you will likely not be able to get to both Wilmington and Wrightsville on the same trip and make it back in time unless you are spending the night somewhere as there is a lot of backtracking between snows cut (to the ICWW North) and downtown. Most of the nice sandbars in ILM are north of Wrightsville by a few miles as well. I would say 90-95% of people in wilmington boat on the water way side and not the river. It takes us about 45 minutes to an hour to get between bald head/southport and Wrightsville via boat.

First logical stop is southport, hard to not recommend Provision Co. but it can get crowded and docking can be tight.

There are an absolute ton of places to eat and drink in downtown ILM so pick what you are interested in and get on yelp. Everything is pretty walkable, or a cheap uber in a pinch.

There are a few places in Wrightsville to get lunch, Dockside, Fish House, Bluewater. on the beach side, there is tower 7, south beach grill both of which are in close walking proximity to the public docks. Public docks can get crowded as there are only 3 piers. Dockside will be the easiest place to tie up and eat if thats what you are after.

River gets rough (sometimes really nasty) on a sw wind and an outgoing tide. Be cognizant of that or you may have a wet ride.
wahoo wacker is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by wahoo wacker View Post
you will likely not be able to get to both Wilmington and Wrightsville on the same trip and make it back in time unless you are spending the night somewhere as there is a lot of backtracking between snows cut (to the ICWW North) and downtown. Most of the nice sandbars in ILM are north of Wrightsville by a few miles as well. I would say 90-95% of people in wilmington boat on the water way side and not the river. It takes us about 45 minutes to an hour to get between bald head/southport and Wrightsville via boat.

First logical stop is southport, hard to not recommend Provision Co. but it can get crowded and docking can be tight.

There are an absolute ton of places to eat and drink in downtown ILM so pick what you are interested in and get on yelp. Everything is pretty walkable, or a cheap uber in a pinch.

There are a few places in Wrightsville to get lunch, Dockside, Fish House, Bluewater. on the beach side, there is tower 7, south beach grill both of which are in close walking proximity to the public docks. Public docks can get crowded as there are only 3 piers. Dockside will be the easiest place to tie up and eat if thats what you are after.

River gets rough (sometimes really nasty) on a sw wind and an outgoing tide. Be cognizant of that or you may have a wet ride.
Agreed, it will either be Wilmington OR Wrightsville beach. I will have my youngest BIL and his fiancee with my wife and I. We want to do some sightseeing on the ICW ride, but I also want to be able to take them to a decent restaurant or bar to socialize, as they are just out of college, and value that type of entertainment, I am just happy being on the boat. I am assuming Downtown Wilmington would be the better option? I would like to get them off of the boat for a little bit and out to do something.

Our plan is to leave early Saturday morning, and be back before too late Saturday night. If we aren't burnt out on boating by then, we might continue our cruise down to Barefoot for a late dinner. But this is probably unlikely. More likely would be stopping closer to the launch for dinner on our way back.

I actually made the journey from NMB to Southport last fall via Sea Doo Spark. It was a fun ride! Looking forward to doing it on the boat!

Does this seem unreasonable? Any other recommendations will be appreciated! Thanks again!
2Smoker119 is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,742
Default

Originally Posted by 2Smoker119 View Post
Agreed, it will either be Wilmington OR Wrightsville beach. I will have my youngest BIL and his fiancee with my wife and I. We want to do some sightseeing on the ICW ride, but I also want to be able to take them to a decent restaurant or bar to socialize, as they are just out of college, and value that type of entertainment, I am just happy being on the boat. I am assuming Downtown Wilmington would be the better option? I would like to get them off of the boat for a little bit and out to do something.

Our plan is to leave early Saturday morning, and be back before too late Saturday night. If we aren't burnt out on boating by then, we might continue our cruise down to Barefoot for a late dinner. But this is probably unlikely. More likely would be stopping closer to the launch for dinner on our way back.

I actually made the journey from NMB to Southport last fall via Sea Doo Spark. It was a fun ride! Looking forward to doing it on the boat!

Does this seem unreasonable? Any other recommendations will be appreciated! Thanks again!

Dockside for the younger crowd, great place for what they are after. Downtown will not have a social scene until after dark. Sandbar at Masonboro near by. (just on the south of Masonboro inlet, right before you get to the jetty, hard to miss.) Not a whole lot of boats out there this past weekend but its picking up.

Sounds like a fun boat trip, hope the weather holds out for you.
wahoo wacker is offline  
Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location:
Posts: 716
Default

Paid $2.70/gal at Harbourgate in Little River on Saturday.
As said earlier, the Cape Fear can be a chore.
Motivator is offline  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:43 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Thanks all. This will all certainly be weather dependent.

I am thinking we will at least make it to Southport, unless it's raining and we decide not to go at all!

So what are the cool things to do in Southport besides eat? Anywhere to shop close to the docks? Also might go over to Mojo's at Bald Head Island.
2Smoker119 is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 03:48 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 68
Default

Other eating places. At Cricket Cove. Snooky’s. Inlet View. Also some sandbar near inlet there people hang out at if you dont want to go all the way up to Wilmington. Also in Calabash Oyster Rock. Have fun.
Pioneer220Stim is offline  
Old 05-09-2019, 08:02 AM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Default

Originally Posted by Pioneer220Stim View Post
Other eating places. At Cricket Cove. Snooky’s. Inlet View. Also some sandbar near inlet there people hang out at if you dont want to go all the way up to Wilmington. Also in Calabash Oyster Rock. Have fun.
Thank you for the suggestions!
2Smoker119 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Default

I wanted to give a quick update of the trip. Long story short, it was a blast!

We woke up pretty early and grabbed breakfast and fuel before heading to the launch. The Johnny Causey Boat Landing was closed off for some reason. So we headed across the swing bridge and launched uneventfully at the T Craig Campbell boat launch. No complaints other than it was a little crowded, probably due to the other ramp being closed.






We headed out from there and slowly made our way out to our first stop at the Shallotte Inlet. We beached up near Monk's Island on the ICW side of the inlet for a bit. We swam and walked on the beach while enjoying the beautiful weather and views.











After that we started moving a bit faster and our next stop (other than pee breaks) was the Provision Company in Southport, NC. Just in time for lunch. This was a great place for lunch, thanks again for the suggestion. There was plenty of boat traffic here. We even had a USCG rib tie up and eat lunch while we were there. I had the lunch special, crab cake and peel and eat shrimp. It was fantastic! After lunch we spent 30 minutes walking around the areas adjacent to Provisions.









At around 2:30pm we set off towards Bald Head Island. The mouth of the Cape Fear was slightly choppy. Nothing major. The JB Cape Fisherman did remarkably well in the chop. We stayed completely dry while crossing over to Bald Head. Not bad for an 18 footer!







This was our first trip to Bald Head Island, so I am coming into the harbor, not really sure what to do. But the lady at the docks (harbormaster?) was very helpful. She waves us over and helps us tie up. It's $20 for up to 5 hours, by the way. The golf cart rental place is right off the docks. So we decided to rent a cart and drive around for a bit. We do a brief exploration of the island by golf cart, check out Old Baldy, etc. None of the shops were open, guess we were visiting a little early in the season. So we park at a beach access and enjoy the beach for a while. It was very quiet. Didn't see anyone else on the beach. No music. Just natural sounds. It was nice.










After relaxing on the beach, it was time to go grab cocktails at Mojo's on the Harbor. It was a great spot to enjoy a drink. We didn't eat there so can't comment on the food. The drinks were strong, and the views were memorable! I saw some nice Sporty's slipped.

We departed Bald Head Island sometime after 5pm. The ride back was much quicker. I ran 30-35 just about the whole way, except for the 3-4 no wake zones. We were loaded up, back at the condo, and in the hot tub by sunset.

I definitely learned a lot on the trip. But most importantly, I learned that I need to learn how to use the bouys/markers on the ICW. Any recommendations for reading? I am going to go back and layer in some pictures from the trip, standby.
2Smoker119 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location:
Posts: 716
Default

Sounds like a great day!
Pick up the Waterway Guide, very informative or you can visit their website and get the same info.
Motivator is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 45
Default

The river / ICW markers can get confusing where they transition between the various channels. I always remember ‘red right returning’ for channel markers. So if you’re going into port (up river, into an inlet, etc), red buoy should be on your starboard side.

ICW makes that confusing around here as they effectively swap in the river at Southport and Snows Cut. For that I keep the same phrase in mind but add that since I’m from ‘the south’, then returning in the ICW is south. So red right returning (south) on ICW channels.
tu59 is offline  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 779
Default

for the ICW the green markers will always be to the seaward side of the boat. so I always remember green to the sea
evanP220 is offline  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 257
Default

Originally Posted by evanP220 View Post
for the ICW the green markers will always be to the seaward side of the boat. so I always remember green to the sea
Which I never understood why they did it this way. It seems to me that green should be on the side with the trees :-)
GonzoF1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread