Notices

first time fiberglass work - need advice please

Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal & Cape Cod
Posts: 101
Default first time fiberglass work - need advice please

As a winter project i plan to remove the console from boat and completely re do it. New wiring,gauges,stereo,controls,steering wheel etc,then paint. Was thinking about re designing the lay out of console by adding more surface area.I've never done any fiberglass work , but have seen a lot of projects on this site regarding....question i have is regarding materials to be used. I've seen those fiberglass mesh sheets but are there different types? also the epoxy to use? any help as far as techniques and materials to be used will be greatly appreciated. Also the difference between "gel coat" and "awl grip" ?? is the a better way to go? Below is a picture of my console with another picture of how i'd like to do it. Basically want to add a new section to console to house my hds7,stereo,vhf,and gauges right above steering so everything is in plain view and i dont have to fumble under the console while riding.any ideas you may have regarding the "sketch" of future console will be appreciated. Thanks for looking - arnaldo
Attached Images    
arnaldo is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
........is the a better way to go? .......
ya. buy a different console or pay someone to do the work for you. trust me when i tell you that fiberglass work sucks ass.
captain nate is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 819
Default

You really don't want the first fiberglass work you've ever done to be something you have to look at every time you get on your boat. Fiberglass repairs are easily accomplished-great finish results are not. Practice on something else first. Your boat looks great and the original console looks pristine-I wouldn't F it up.
sealion2288 is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,373
Default

Originally Posted by nate. View Post
ya. buy a different console or pay someone to do the work for you. trust me when i tell you that fiberglass work sucks ass.
X2

Been there... done that.

I lost a LOT of time on the water while re-coring all of the hatches on my boat. Sure, glassing is easy to some extent, but it's a lot of work if it's not your full-time gig. Agreed with the other poster, it should not be your first project. My first glassing project was a leaning post/tackle station for a previous boat. Lot of money, lot of time, and in the end the results were not something I wanted on my boat. It's been sitting unused in the corner of my basement for 8 years. In economics, it's known as a sunken cost.

Buy a new console... I'm sure you could get a nice one from a THT vendor, or even on CL or eBay.

Not trying to burst your bubble... in fact just the opposite - trying to save you a lot of wasted money and effort. Try glassing a smaller project first.

Good luck with that very cool boat!
Chuckster is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal & Cape Cod
Posts: 101
Default

Thanks for the replies guys....I guess I,ll leave the console as is and do the other stuff I mentioned. So Chuckster, you a fly fisherman from the cape?. I,ve been going to the cape for the last 15 years. Was there last month and am coming back on Saturday for another week. When I was there last month we rented a home on bass river with a dock and I had trailered my boat down.....great ,great time we had. Unfortunately this visit i will not have the boat with me.....anyway, thanks for the words do advice. Arnaldo
arnaldo is offline  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:15 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,151
Default

I think you can make a pretty good box that will bolt on to your existing console out of some teak and that delrin type plastic for the cut out face. have the top dimension match the lower dimension of the existing console where the windscreen bolts on. Then mount the windscreen on your box that you build. If you do it right you will be able to remove the whole shebang with very little damage to the original console and you will get a whack at doing a little boat work. Either that or build a Tee Top and mount everything overhead.
KJ6TQG is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,373
Default

Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
Thanks for the replies guys....I guess I,ll leave the console as is and do the other stuff I mentioned. So Chuckster, you a fly fisherman from the cape?. I,ve been going to the cape for the last 15 years. Was there last month and am coming back on Saturday for another week. When I was there last month we rented a home on bass river with a dock and I had trailered my boat down.....great ,great time we had. Unfortunately this visit i will not have the boat with me.....anyway, thanks for the words do advice. Arnaldo
Yup, I run flyfishsaltwaters.com ... I'm near Bass River and I launch out of Sesuit usually.
Chuckster is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal & Cape Cod
Posts: 101
Default

cool. I checked out the site...interesting. Saw the post with your boat - very nice! Happy fishing & safe boating.
arnaldo is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 01:13 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: West Va/Fl/PA
Posts: 6,671
Default

rather get a root canal that do glass work---- ie thinking about braket on boat ---need to filled and finish hole where outdrive located-- when to glass shop for price-- when he said $ 500 I asked "is that a firm price" yes was the answer I almost kissed him
Eyehooker is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 930
Default

Originally Posted by arnaldo View Post
As a winter project i plan to remove the console from boat and completely re do it. New wiring,gauges,stereo,controls,steering wheel etc,then paint. Was thinking about re designing the lay out of console by adding more surface area.I've never done any fiberglass work , but have seen a lot of projects on this site regarding....question i have is regarding materials to be used. I've seen those fiberglass mesh sheets but are there different types? also the epoxy to use? any help as far as techniques and materials to be used will be greatly appreciated. Also the difference between "gel coat" and "awl grip" ?? is the a better way to go? Below is a picture of my console with another picture of how i'd like to do it. Basically want to add a new section to console to house my hds7,stereo,vhf,and gauges right above steering so everything is in plain view and i dont have to fumble under the console while riding.any ideas you may have regarding the "sketch" of future console will be appreciated. Thanks for looking - arnaldo

Sealion is 100% correct. But, if you do build one, measure dimension twice and build box frame so that you can apply cloth/resins inside. Use ss screws to hold form together. Make OD frame first using something that fiberglass/resins will not stick to. I believe that tile board will do. Maybe you can find board that doesn't have pebble finish? You probable have less than a gal of gel coat's worth of work, but at least a gal of bonding resin's work. You frame it up and glass from inside: releasing agent on slick surface first (lots of it), next several coats of gel coat (and you will never get new gel coat to totally match old gel coat color), several layers of cloth or mat with bonding resigns, followed by more bonding resign coatings and at least two top coats of gel coat on last inside bonding coat. Last gel coat must have wax in it. I suggest that you make console box out of starboard board, instead of getting into a mess. Starboard board is expensive but so are two gals of resins/gel coat, framing, tile board and all the other items needed to do this project. Good luck. You have a good idea about relocating electronics!!!!!!!
tank1949 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread