Notices

Adding fresh water washdown

Old 11-24-2020, 04:13 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 418
Received 216 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Adding fresh water washdown

I have a new bay boat with only the raw water washdown. The manufacturer does offer fresh water but my boat was bought from dealer inventory without it. Search only produced results for various components so I'm wondering if there is a full kit out there that would be a simple installation. Ideally I would like everything to be contained in the console and not have to plumb it to the back like the factory setup. More ideal would be to add a tank somewhere and T into the raw water pump with a selector valve.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:09 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 32
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Here is a interesting setup where the raw water pump and live well can be used as a freshwater washdown with a couple 3 way valves.

Convert Raw Water System to Switchable Fresh Water Storage System - Boat Talk - Robalo Boats Discussion Group
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NE FL
Posts: 709
Received 514 Likes on 256 Posts
Default

I never thought about it but thanks for the inspiration. Should be pretty easy to add a thruhull to one of my bait tanks and a valve on the washdown pump intake to turn it into a 35 gallon fresh water tank for days at the sandbar. I love this place.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:34 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 418
Received 216 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lifeislarge View Post
I never thought about it but thanks for the inspiration. Should be pretty easy to add a thruhull to one of my bait tanks and a valve on the washdown pump intake to turn it into a 35 gallon fresh water tank for days at the sandbar. I love this place.
Yeah me too. My boat has a livewell in the center stern and another good size well in the port side we never use other than for storage.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:51 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 32
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

In the thread link they don't even add a hole in the livewell. The way the valves are set up, he uses the livewell aerator as the draw for the freshwater if that makes sense. He just added a short piece of hose so the end of the hose lays on the bottom of the livewell when using it as a freshwater washdown.

Not sure how your livewell is setup but on Robalos there is a threaded fixture just like the end of a hose where the livewell aerator comes in.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: NE FL
Posts: 709
Received 514 Likes on 256 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by walknazty View Post
In the thread link they don't even add a hole in the livewell. The way the valves are set up, he uses the livewell aerator as the draw for the freshwater if that makes sense. He just added a short piece of hose so the end of the hose lays on the bottom of the livewell when using it as a freshwater washdown.

Not sure how your livewell is setup but on Robalos there is a threaded fixture just like the end of a hose where the livewell aerator comes in.
I have two livewells with their own pump and a washdown pump. Each pump has it's own thruhull for salt water. For my setup it would be easier just to put a Y in the intake hose for the washdown pump with a switch that pulled water from either the thruhull or the livewell. I have a large, open bilge and easy access with a large hatch. Might get fancy and find an electronic switch for the plumbing though...
Likes:
Old 11-25-2020, 07:58 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 32
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lifeislarge View Post
I have a large, open bilge and easy access with a large hatch.
I'm super jealous. My bilge is nothing like that....
Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 3,205
Received 674 Likes on 446 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
I have a new bay boat with only the raw water washdown. The manufacturer does offer fresh water but my boat was bought from dealer inventory without it. Search only produced results for various components so I'm wondering if there is a full kit out there that would be a simple installation. Ideally I would like everything to be contained in the console and not have to plumb it to the back like the factory setup. More ideal would be to add a tank somewhere and T into the raw water pump with a selector valve.
Check out the plastimo bladder tanks. I had a 13 gal in my 24' Albemarle and it was plenty of water for a full day. Fit in a locker under the cuddy.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:45 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 6,221
Received 1,200 Likes on 778 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
I have a new bay boat with only the raw water washdown. The manufacturer does offer fresh water but my boat was bought from dealer inventory without it. Search only produced results for various components so I'm wondering if there is a full kit out there that would be a simple installation. Ideally I would like everything to be contained in the console and not have to plumb it to the back like the factory setup. More ideal would be to add a tank somewhere and T into the raw water pump with a selector valve.
I have no need for freshwater wash down the space taken up by the tank isn’t worth it. There are a variety of portable systems the simplist being a new fruit tree sprayer filled with fresh water

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.