Notices

several questions regarding marine plywood and resins

Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 1,910
Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Default several questions regarding marine plywood and resins

This has probably been asked and answered before and I know I might be able to find the answers on google, BUT I'm here asking the questions because I want the answers from you guys who live and breathe this stuff.
So I will not apologize for using the forum for its intended purpose.

plywood
question 1 - where do you all get your marine grade plywood in Florida (sarasota/manatee county) ? If a chain store the location might not matter.
question 2 - Home Depot sells a marine grade plywood that is pressure treated, I suspect that would NOT be the product I'd want for stringer and deck repair as none of the resins would stick to it.


resins
So I've been reading that when using polyester or vinylester resin to use chopped mat against the wood and in between each subsequent layer of cloth or woven stuff. As the chopped mat bonds extremely well to wood.
NOTE: the wood would be pre-coated before adding any mat or cloth

Question - BUT what do you use if you are going to use epoxy like MAS epoxy for the resin?
Question - if you pre-coat the wood with epoxy do you still use chopped mat first, before subsequent layers of either cloth or woven?

Last edited by cfauvel; 03-24-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,601
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,070 Posts
Default

I can't advise on local sources but treated wood of any type is a general no-no with any resin. Some have used it and some will get acceptable results but no pro's would consider it.

Yes, mat side down on the ester resins,ron subsrquent layers mat isn't required.

Epoxy doesn't require mat at all and a lighter final product can be made without the bulk.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:27 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 1,910
Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bills106 View Post
I can't advise on local sources but treated wood of any type is a general no-no with any resin. Some have used it and some will get acceptable results but no pro's would consider it.

Yes, mat side down on the ester resins,ron subsrquent layers mat isn't required.

Epoxy doesn't require mat at all and a lighter final product can be made without the bulk.
Thank you for the response...assuming the underside of the deck was coated in polyester resin, if I wanted to add cloth to strengthen it could I use epoxy, or does it have to be either polyester or vinylester? I find epoxy easier to mess with.

I plan on sanding the underside with 80grit.first....
Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Beaufort NC
Posts: 5,601
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,070 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cfauvel View Post
Thank you for the response...assuming the underside of the deck was coated in polyester resin, if I wanted to add cloth to strengthen it could I use epoxy, or does it have to be either polyester or vinylester? I find epoxy easier to mess with.

I plan on sanding the underside with 80grit.first....
Don't waste the time coating with polyester, it won't penetrate and flake off eventually. If you use epoxy it will penetrate and stay there. No need prewetting either, it will soak in when you glass just fine.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 4,812
Likes: 0
Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts
Default

I get my at Intercity Lumber on Causeway Blvd in Tampa.
Likes:
Old 03-24-2020, 12:01 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,215
Received 3,899 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Default

Larger lumber yards should have marine plywood or at least be able to get it for you. I know this doesn't help you but I found a local lumber yard here in Ct for 3/4 marine plywood. I think it was around $110 per sheet.
For resin and glass I would use Jamestown Distributors. They are helpful.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...=203&page=GRID
Likes:
Old 03-24-2020, 12:07 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 1,910
Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Default

Moderators would it be possible to move this thread to The Boating Forum? or IS this right place for the question?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:10 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kasilof, alaska
Posts: 146
Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/

These guys have top quality plywood and are very good at helping. I have used them a bunch and they worked hard to get a good shipping rate for me............to Alaska!
Likes:
Old 03-24-2020, 07:05 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,696
Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts
Default

Ive been using US Composites for polyester resin and epoxy. They are not to far from you so shipping probably wont be to bad.

I see one person already mentioned getting your marine ply from a lumber yard, that's where I get mine from as well. They will either have it in stock or order it for you.
Likes:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:47 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 4,812
Likes: 0
Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cfauvel View Post
This has probably been asked and answered before and I know I might be able to find the answers on google, BUT I'm here asking the questions because I want the answers from you guys who live and breathe this stuff.
So I will not apologize for using the forum for its intended purpose.

plywood
question 1 - where do you all get your marine grade plywood in Florida (sarasota/manatee county) ? If a chain store the location might not matter.
question 2 - Home Depot sells a marine grade plywood that is pressure treated, I suspect that would NOT be the product I'd want for stringer and deck repair as none of the resins would stick to it.


resins
So I've been reading that when using polyester or vinylester resin to use chopped mat against the wood and in between each subsequent layer of cloth or woven stuff. As the chopped mat bonds extremely well to wood.
NOTE: the wood would be pre-coated before adding any mat or cloth

Question - BUT what do you use if you are going to use epoxy like MAS epoxy for the resin?
Question - if you pre-coat the wood with epoxy do you still use chopped mat first, before subsequent layers of either cloth or woven?
My 'Go-To' guy for those questions is Pat at Fiberglass Coating (FGCI) in St Pete. Just be prepared for massive brain over-load.
Likes:
Old 03-27-2020, 03:54 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 54
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

I just bought everything I needed to swap outdrives and refinish the stern from fiberglass supply whorehouse, they were super helpful.
Likes:
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 5,131
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

ive been happy with ebond epoxy, cheap, works great, no smell.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.