Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By phigamfsu

Found a Small Leak

Old 08-13-2019, 04:07 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default Found a Small Leak

Before I bought this boat, the owner told me that he thought she had a leak, since there was always a good amount of water in the bilge when he took it out of the water (it was always trailered). The bilge pump didn't work, which I'm sure was part of his problem... But water was getting in somewhere regardless.

The boat is a 19', 1979 MFG Caprice. Frankly, I didn't care about a small leak (we took it for a ride before I bought it) bc two owner's ago, it was my grandfather's boat. Sentimental value, childhood memories, and all that.

Anyway...

I did get a new bilge pump. It is NOT automatic, I have it wired to a switch. Every hour or so I'll switch it on, water will come out, and I'll shut it off when the water ceases. I'll keep it bow-high if I'm not going far (eg. re-setting up for another drift) to get more water to the pump. But this last time out, even after running the pump 30 min or so before going back to the dock, I still had gallons of water flowing out when I pulled the plug. So I'm sure I have a bigger issue than this little leak, but one thing at a time.

Link to leak video:
.

I don't know exactly what that part of the stern is called, but you'll see it in the video.

See the hole below:





What's the best solution for that? 5200? Also, as you can see from the pics, that "sleeve" or whatever you call it is in pretty rough shape. What about replacing that?
.
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:36 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: skittleville fl
Posts: 8,414
Default

The transom rotted ? You could pump it full of something but that would probably be temporary.
mitchell master is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by mitchell master View Post
The transom rotted ? You could pump it full of something but that would probably be temporary.
The transom itself seems fine. solid enough to hold the motor, there's no flex in it. I'm not concerned about that,

It's just that joint under that drain hole.

What is that space between the aft seats called, anyway?

Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:24 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Lake Worth, FL 33460
Posts: 54
Default

Splash well.
Time Out LW is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by Time Out LW View Post
Splash well.
That's my learnin' for the day
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 579
Default

Its the splash well, not the transom. Id use a dremel to clean up around the hole, then fill from the top with thickened epoxy (to seal the path of the water), as well as the bottom.

Im sure someone will say MarineTex, but Id prefer West Six10. After it is cured you can sand again and layer some gelcoat to blend it in.
Mitragorz likes this.

Last edited by phigamfsu; 08-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.
phigamfsu is offline  
Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 PM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by phigamfsu View Post
Its the splash well, not the transom. Id use a dremel to clean up around the hole, then fill from the top with thickened epoxy (to seal the path of the water), as well as the bottom.

Im sure someone will say MarineTex, but Id prefer West Six10. After it is sure you can sand again and layer some gelcoat to blend it in.
Awesome info, thanks for that. I'll look into that West Six10. I have a feeling this isn't the only hole, but we'll see what happens when I get her out on the water again.
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston
Posts: 17
Default

I've dealt with the same issue on a 1988 BW Outrage.

I agree with the advice above.

I would also replace the drain tube sleeve, with a new brass one. Seal it with marine grade silicone. You'll need a flanging tool in the same diameter as the sleeve.
Channel Island is offline  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,873
Default

Expanding on the above advice, I would use the epoxy, with some chopped up glass and a thickener, and build it up a little on the back. It all needs to be sanded down super clean, and the dust cleaned off.

On my whaler, I used PVC electrical conduit for the drain tube. The idea is to take a 1" dowel, and sharpen it up like a giant pencil. Heat the conduit, and jamb in the dowel to expand out the tube. Then this is put into the hole, and use 5200 on the front and back. Do this after removing the rotted tube, and letting it dry out for a while. I think that the brass tubes always rot, and the O rings don't seal.
Time Machine is online now  
Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 114
Default

That is a rotted drain tube. You'll need a flaring tool to replace it or have someone else do it for you. Shouldn't cost much. BTW I bet the other side looks the same way.
2LBI is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 AM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by 2LBI View Post
That is a rotted drain tube. You'll need a flaring tool to replace it or have someone else do it for you. Shouldn't cost much. BTW I bet the other side looks the same way.
Ive already picked up the tube and the tool. Tool was $19 and tube was $7 or so.

Ill need to shorten the tube (3... way too long), so how much extra should I leave for the flare? 1/8?
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by Mitragorz View Post


Ive already picked up the tube and the tool. Tool was $19 and tube was $7 or so.

Ill need to shorten the tube (3... way too long), so how much extra should I leave for the flare? 1/8?
I'm not sure. I think YouTube is your best friend unless someone else chimes in.

what behind that gas tank? Anymore drains or plugs which might have endeared the same fate?
2LBI is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:58 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,987
Default

Originally Posted by Mitragorz View Post


Ive already picked up the tube and the tool. Tool was $19 and tube was $7 or so.

Ill need to shorten the tube (3... way too long), so how much extra should I leave for the flare? 1/8?
No directions with the tool?
richinct is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:13 AM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by 2LBI View Post
I'm not sure. I think YouTube is your best friend unless someone else chimes in.

what behind that gas tank? Anymore drains or plugs which might have endeared the same fate?
The deck stops maybe 8 aft of that tank, and you can reach down into the bilge. The only drain back there in the bilge drain. The external part of the drain looks good, but the bilge side is probably rotted. Id have to look. When I got my hands on the boat, the bilge was full of crap... pine needles, compost essentially. Small plants were growing down there, literally.

Its going to need new stringers and floor at or at some point, but one thing at a time.

But yeah, wouldnt surprise me if that bilge drain is rotten too.
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 10:14 AM
  #15  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by richinct View Post
No directions with the tool?
Im on the road. The tool is at home in its package.
Mitragorz is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by Mitragorz View Post


The deck stops maybe 8 aft of that tank, and you can reach down into the bilge. The only drain back there in the bilge drain. The external part of the drain looks good, but the bilge side is probably rotted. Id have to look. When I got my hands on the boat, the bilge was full of crap... pine needles, compost essentially. Small plants were growing down there, literally.

Its going to need new stringers and floor at or at some point, but one thing at a time.

But yeah, wouldnt surprise me if that bilge drain is rotten too.
don't beat yourself up over what you already knew before purchase. A boat this old is not expected to be pristine, or even close. Repair the drain tube and go have a blast!
2LBI is offline  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:56 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Boston
Posts: 17
Default

Originally Posted by Mitragorz View Post


Ive already picked up the tube and the tool. Tool was $19 and tube was $7 or so.

Ill need to shorten the tube (3... way too long), so how much extra should I leave for the flare? 1/8?
Between an 1/8" and 3/16". Depends on how thick your o-ring is.
Channel Island is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread