Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Rectangular scuppers - need plug system

Old 06-10-2019, 07:16 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default Rectangular scuppers - need plug system

hi everyone -

I have a 1988 32í Blackfin flybridge - love everything about it except one thing...the boat does not self bail well and letís a TON of water in through scuppers especially while sitting. When I go offshore and we are anchored/drifting I donít even sleep in fear that my bilge pumps stop working and then I am also draining battery by having them run all the time.

The great part of the boat is that it has a low center of gravity...-also a negative here. so, I have roughly 2x6 rectangular scuppers. Iíve tried virtually every pair of scuppers out there that claim to hold water out and nothing has worked. Iíve plugged them with different items while fishing but that doesnít work great long term either.

i wanted to design a cover that goes over them and was hoping someone could help me come up with an idea. Ideally Iíd like to ďconvertĒ them up by covering the existing holes (maybe glass over?) and cut in some circular holes that I can plug. I tried doing this with starboard with a pvc rain barrel bulkhead plug with a cap that can go into it - but it sits an inch off deck and water canít drain out.

yes, i understand the risk of covering scuppers but this is only while drifting and I think Iím 10000% more likely to sink my boat due to this than the rogue wave flooding my boat scenario - and it is a flybridge model so waves over bow tend to be diverted away from cockpit entirely.

Thanks much !

Anyone have an idea for me?

route 2 is find a way to snuggly plug existing holes but they are irregular shaped so Iíd have to somehow mold something in there..

I
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 8,728
Default

Closed cell foam, the type that's pre-slit for pipe insulation maybe? I assume you've tried the flapper style covers already?
Cobia 217 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by Cobia 217 View Post
Closed cell foam, the type that's pre-slit for pipe insulation maybe? I assume you've tried the flapper style covers already?
yeah I have. I think the problem is that when the boat rocks the flappers open up ? They also donít sit completely flush to back of my boat....

ive tried foam in a plastic bag and it made a mess of everything and didnít dry right.. wondering if it needs air to activate.
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 2,063
Default

Cut a pool noodle to fit.
fishinmaniac is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:17 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Falmouth, MA
Posts: 5,479
Default

is this typical for this boat? sounds like you're sitting too low in the water relative to the deck...which is totally different than having a low center of gravity. maybe pictures would help...showing scupper level relative to waterline from the outside and relative to the deck from the inside
chainsaw42 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by chainsaw42 View Post
is this typical for this boat? sounds like you're sitting too low in the water relative to the deck...which is totally different than having a low center of gravity. maybe pictures would help...showing scupper level relative to waterline from the outside and relative to the deck from the inside
pretty common in this boat unfortunately. Iíve talked to several other owners who have had similar issues. Iíll snap some.

sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 97
Default

For temporary use try a Nerf football. You can even poke a hole in it and run a small rope through with a washer on the other side so you can snatch it out in a hurry if necessary.

Stephen
TOOBAD4U is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by TOOBAD4U View Post
For temporary use try a Nerf football. You can even poke a hole in it and run a small rope through with a washer on the other side so you can snatch it out in a hurry if necessary.

Stephen
I've tried foam/pool noodle. They work pretty good was just trying to find a way to engineer something 100% watertight. The scupper flaps dont work as they say they will. Some guys on here designed some stainless ones I tried but they dont fit the area perfectly. I guess I will see what I can do with some foam plugs. The holes are rectangular so plugging them is tougher than if it were round and I could find one of a million different objects to jam in there.
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,755
Default

Originally Posted by sammythetuna View Post
I could find one of a million different objects to jam in there.


Double tyme likes this.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:08 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
set myself up there
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:08 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Coores Iím surprised you havenít solved this issue yet in your boat !
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,755
Default

Originally Posted by sammythetuna View Post
Coores Iím surprised you havenít solved this issue yet in your boat !
shit, I'm still trying to just get the deck painted and back together so I can USE the damn boat.
I wish I could be concerned with water coming in the scuppers while out fishing.
coores14 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
shit, I'm still trying to just get the deck painted and back together so I can USE the damn boat.
I wish I could be concerned with water coming in the scuppers while out fishing.
hahah got it. Good luck !
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:04 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 8,107
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
he's still the reigning gif champ around here folks.

OP what about some sort of starboard piece with gasket mountedfrom inside, with barrel bolts on either side. The female part of barrel bolt mounted to inner transom. Add gasket on both sides you ought To be able to get a good seal. Could get cute and use compression latches too but will need studs for them to grab in yuor female section of scupper.
Double tyme is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Make a mold and pour yourself a couple big silicon plugs?
scallen2112 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 412
Default

What about a small magnet on the inside of the flaps. Enough to hold the door shut, but any water inside can still push it open
Floatingalong is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 06:34 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by scallen2112 View Post
Make a mold and pour yourself a couple big silicon plugs?
how would I accomplish this ?
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:31 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Maybe get a chunk of balsa and shape and sand it down to where it just (or almost) fits in the hole. Then glue another, thinner piece of balsa the same shape but about a half inch wider to the top.




Sand a slight taper into it so it goes in easy and then gets tighter. Put some fairing compound on it, let it cure and sand smooth - or maybe just spray it with some polyurathane, anything so it will not absorb. Spray some mold release on it and press it down into a tuperware full of plaster. Maybe put a screw or something in it first to pull it our with. When the plaster is cured, the mold release and the tapered shape should let it come out. Now get a pourable silicone - something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Mold-Silicone-Rubber-Gallon/dp/B008UW4OPC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=152BX6ZT76BJ9CW6KHR8 https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Mold-Silicone-Rubber-Gallon/dp/B008UW4OPC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=152BX6ZT76BJ9CW6KHR8

and pour it in. Maybe get a small stainless u-bolt with a cross plate and hang it from a pencil on the tupperware with the cross plate down in the silicone while it sets up so you have a handle

Last edited by scallen2112; 06-11-2019 at 07:38 PM.
scallen2112 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:42 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,129
Default

Originally Posted by scallen2112 View Post
Maybe get a chunk of balsa and shape and sand it down to where it just (or almost) fits in the hole. Then glue another, thinner piece of balsa the same shape but about a half inch wider to the top.




Sand a slight taper into it so it goes in easy and then gets tighter. Put some fairing compound on it, let it cure and sand smooth - or maybe just spray it with some polyurathane, anything so it will not absorb. Spray some mold release on it and press it down into a tuperware full of plaster. Maybe put a screw or something in it first to pull it our with. When the plaster is cured, the mold release and the tapered shape should let it come out. Now get a pourable silicone - something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Mold-Sil...ZT76BJ9CW6KHR8

and pour it in. Maybe get a small stainless u-bolt with a cross plate and hang it from a pencil on the tupperware with the cross plate down in the silicone while it sets up so you have a handle
good idea! I may try this. I made some plugs out of foam today which I am going to try out this weekend. But I like your idea better...
sammythetuna is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 337
Default

Hope it works. That's just the first thing that came to mind.
scallen2112 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread