Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > The Boating Forum
Reload this Page >

Any Reason I Really Need a Thermostat?

Notices
Like Tree33Likes

Any Reason I Really Need a Thermostat?

Old 04-07-2019, 04:50 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hooksett, NH
Posts: 1,623
Default

Originally Posted by 6104696 View Post
Why are you still here? Members can't even effectively block you; your posts are so god-awful stupid that people repeatedly quote them (due to the incredulity) so anyone who blocks you would see them anyway.......
please quit quoting him guys........life is better with him in the ignore zone.
WillyC27 is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 05:04 AM
  #22  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bahrain/Houma,LA
Posts: 221
Default

I'm starting to think tunnles is 175 years old based on all his years of experience in all sorts of different areas of expertise.
Fishman39 and Windwood like this.

Last edited by getusummm; 04-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
getusummm is online now  
Old 04-07-2019, 05:31 AM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 5,289
Default

Originally Posted by Still Stoked View Post


Actually it’s physics. And you’re comparng the heat transfer and characteristics of water and air.

And you you know the rules: Pics of old wife please!!!

It’s really not physics. And for this purpose the example of a gaseous fluid works as a demonstration of the principle. The speed of a fluid against a surface is zero. The higher the water speed the less opportunity for the block to warm the cooling water, so it will be cooler everywhere in the engine. But there’s no problem of the water molecules not being around long enough to be run into by higher energy molecules in the block. If they are touching, they are transferring heat.

Maybe (maybe) you could find that too much water flow creates hot spots because the flow patterns aren’t right anymore. If there’s an old wives tale about this, I’d guess that was the cause, if it wasn’t just air getting mixed into the cooling water flow. That’s certainly more likely at high speed.
Texas 17 is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 06:13 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 416
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post
Obviously who ever started this post has little to no mechanical Knowledge what so ever !!NOT EVEN THE ABSOLUTE BASICS !
Even at the age of 10 years old I knew what a thermostat was for , how it worked and why it was used where it situated and how a cooling system was used for !
Maybe this guy needs to ask a kid for the answers !!

My old car didn't have a thermostat or a water pump and like old car relied on thermoshyphen cooling system BUT that's how they were made So I ;
found the later model, genuine water pump adaptor kit and found the genuine thermostat that slid inside the top radiator hose that was an accessory for my old car ! I was even able to add a heater to the car and all this was totally unheard of !!
Thermostats come in many shapes and sizes and a list of different operating temperature ranges ! EVERY MOTOR for every use be it cats trucks tractors light planes inboard motors out board motors even big lawn mowers anything that uses liquid for cooling has and needs a thermostat. It not only controls the temperature but slows the flow of water so it can cool properly and completely !If it fast tracks through the motor It never does it job properly and warmed motors perform lots better tha cold motors as there are sensors building to operate the fuel injection system to run at the different temperature's to give the best fuel supply !So cold motors run rich and you use more fuel than at the proper operating temperature .
THINK A LITTLE !! I promise it doesn't hurt !! what I've written is just a little about cooling systems , I spent 14 years in automotive spare parts and was my job to know all and everything so when some dumb ass came to the counter and asked the same questions you asking I immediately had the answer. !
I sold parts for a living so that makes me an expert
murfpcola is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 06:29 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 182
Default

Why beat the OP up? He asked a question. Give him your answer and don’t brow beat him. When someone like tunnels gives his opinion “like a grumpy 175 year old would be” makes folks not even want to ask the simplest of questions. Op, replace it with new, that way your system will work properly over all. I took my outboard to a mechanic years ago and he asked why I had champion sparks plugs and not NGK. I said because the champions were cheaper. He quoted me this, “an engineer went through a lot of trouble to figure out this outboard ran best on NGK” you think he was wrong? I’d had to admit to myself, yeah, you’re probably right. I can say the same about the thermostat. Good luck and hope you get many good quality years out of her.
Badmako is online now  
Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 AM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: S. Florida
Posts: 5,289
Default

Originally Posted by Badmako View Post
Why beat the OP up? He asked a question. Give him your answer and don’t brow beat him. When someone like tunnels gives his opinion “like a grumpy 175 year old would be” makes folks not even want to ask the simplest of questions. Op, replace it with new, that way your system will work properly over all. I took my outboard to a mechanic years ago and he asked why I had champion sparks plugs and not NGK. I said because the champions were cheaper. He quoted me this, “an engineer went through a lot of trouble to figure out this outboard ran best on NGK” you think he was wrong? I’d had to admit to myself, yeah, you’re probably right. I can say the same about the thermostat. Good luck and hope you get many good quality years out of her.
Tunnles is just a troll. His contributions range between, “you’re an idiot for asking this question,” “all Americans are idiots for asking these sorts of questions,” “I know better than anyone how composites work,” and “everyone in China builds better more advanced stuff than anyone in America.” Sprinkle in random caps and exclamation points, and you’ve pretty well got his full range of expression.

Notably, those answers all but never include actual help. At least your mechanic pointed you toward a solution.
Fishman39 and Badmako like this.
Texas 17 is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:15 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 182
Default

Originally Posted by Texas 17 View Post


Tunnles is just a troll. His contributions range between, “you’re an idiot for asking this question,” “all Americans are idiots for asking these sorts of questions,” “I know better than anyone how composites work,” and “everyone in China builds better more advanced stuff than anyone in America.” Sprinkle in random caps and exclamation points, and you’ve pretty well got his full range of expression.

Notably, those answers all but never include actual help. At least your mechanic pointed you toward a solution.
you know when I first joined this site, I actually kinda felt bad for tunnels because it seemed like folks were always attacking him, but then I paid more attention and realized he is a victim of his own circumstance. Total douche that offers up nothing but sarcasm and negativity .
Badmako is online now  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:26 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Algonac michigan
Posts: 5,611
Default

Discussing thermostats on the basis of "1995 Mercury" isn't going to be very helpful.Mercury used different cooling systems for different motors and it does make a difference on how vital the thermostats are.Generally,you want to have the stats in place.The motor needs to be at a working temperature before throttling up or you risk cold seizure.
muskamoot is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 2,059
Default

not saying its right or wrong to run a motor without a T stat .
but in my experience its horses for courses depending on how you operate the motor.
.
my 135 mariner has never had one in it in all the time i have owned it ,and who knows how long the PO had it without them ,i have ran it for many hours with no adverse effects.,it warms up easy and seems to keep a good operating temperature.
as with my ski boat with 5.7 Vortec, it runs with heat exchanger type exhausts with a water pump ,no T stat required with this system . .
the Tstat in my F 80 four stroke went to god about a year before i took it out of service for more mods ,i will probably not replace it before putting it back into service.
i believe ,"however warranted it may be" that it all depends on the water temp you operate the boat motor in.
water temps here are generally quite warm (probably 9 months of a year) ,however the lake i use the ski boat in winter is bloody cold ,with that , i find the motor is a hell of a lot more responsive and better fuel efficiency,could be to do with ambient temp or cold water temps ,but that's a whole other discussion.

Op , try running without T stats but check the motor temp to be sure it does not run too hot or worse still too cold.
2 strokes like to grab rings if they are reved when too cold.

Last edited by 1breakinit; 04-07-2019 at 07:48 AM.
1breakinit is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:50 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,039
Default

Fuel atomizes better at the temperature the thermostat keeps the engine at. Thus you make more power and use less fuel. Cold engines run richer especially if they're carbureted but even if they are fuel injected the ECU feeds more fuel to a cold motor. Secondarily in some motors the thermostat helps keep the block totally full of water, some designs will have hot or cold spots in the block if run without the stat. Since a new stat costs like 30 bucks it's worth using one.
Jim311 is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:53 AM
  #31  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yorktown , Virginia
Posts: 361
Default

While we are on cooling engines and the OP has been answered , how does that Water Wetter work ? I swapped a turbo diesel in my VW camper long time ago . Worked out sweet , but with the motor in back and rad in the front , it was running too hot I felt . A couple doses of that stuff and it was like magic , brought the temp way down .
normsworld is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:57 AM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Back in suzhou in China again
Posts: 3,578
Default

In this day and age thermostats are necessary because of ECU UNITS control nearly all motors and how they run and how much fuel is required and when etc etc Do you understand what ECU UNIT is ?? The little magic box the dictates what you motor will give you ! all and ever motor these days are using them But some clever hackers have been able to reprogram them to give you more power that's there but the ecu is not giving it to you !! Bet you didn't realize that did you !! your outboard , your car anything with a motor these days has them And your thermostat is a part of the controlling mechanism !!so if you don't use a thermostat your in trouble and it will cost you !Bet you didn't know that either did you !! SO LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY You got a long way to go before you even get close so you better learn 2 new things each day
tunnles is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 08:05 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 861
Default

Originally Posted by Still Stoked View Post


Actually it’s physics. And you’re comparng the heat transfer and characteristics of water and air.

And you you know the rules: Pics of old wife please!!!
and water and air are both fluids as far as the physics of heat and mass transfer are concerned. Faster moving fluids are more efficient and effective at removing heat (and mass...the math is the same).

You can argue otherwise...but you will be incorrect.
Hossharris is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 2,059
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post
In this day and age thermostats are necessary because of ECU UNITS control nearly all motors and how they run and how much fuel is required and when etc etc Do you understand what ECU UNIT is ?? The little magic box the dictates what you motor will give you ! all and ever motor these days are using them But some clever hackers have been able to reprogram them to give you more power that's there but the ecu is not giving it to you !! Bet you didn't realize that did you !! your outboard , your car anything with a motor these days has them And your thermostat is a part of the controlling mechanism !!so if you don't use a thermostat your in trouble and it will cost you !Bet you didn't know that either did you !! SO LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY. You got a long way to go before you even get close ,so you better learn 2 new things a day
thats funny , i have to remember that one next dumb ass i come across .
1breakinit is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 AM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 96
Default

What i always find interesting is some of condescending responses( you know who you are)(and not just this thread) and just some of the flippant rudeness on display at these forums, i know you wouldn't talk to people like this to their face so why do it on here? some of these response we would have kicked your face in for this crap. Not sure if its an ego or smugness issue, but something is up. I belong to a lot of forums for various activities and hobbies and i have never seen it as bad as it is THT.

Just an observation, people are of course free to post whatever they want, just find it interesting its so bad here, and for sure its only a small minority as ive seen a lot of people go the extra mile to be helpful or using friendly persuasion to help bring people over to their ideas..etc..
Jeff Spicoli likes this.
Fifth Horseman is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:46 AM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tuckerton Beach, N.J.
Posts: 1,064
Default

You need a thermostat for reasons listed here.
For the THT braintrust, id you know that the Mercury "tower of power" has no thermostats?
Clamdigger II is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:00 PM
  #37  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dacman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Summerville SC
Posts: 7,139
Default

I would replace it. I don’t know all of the physics.
However as far as the flow in automotive engines anyways. I was always told to gut a thermostat and put the plate back in for a restriction to flow.
We built a Low budget NASCAR circle track car, thunder and lightning races. We left the thermostat in place and it ran too hot at the maintained high rpms of racing. We removed the entire piece and it ran hot faster. We cut a sheet metal plate to go in its place with a dime sized hole in it for restriction and it was perfect. Was it moving too fast or does a pump need some restriction or back pressure to reach full flow. ?
Some back pressure may be needed on the outboard to completely fill the upper parts of the water jacket.
As far as I know the tell tale pisser expels water before the heat exchanging section, so the more water goes out there, the less gets to the block.
My two stroke runs much better after heated up than cold. JMT
Dacman is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:51 PM
  #38  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,013
Default

Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
What i always find interesting is some of condescending responses( you know who you are)(and not just this thread) and just some of the flippant rudeness on display at these forums, i know you wouldn't talk to people like this to their face so why do it on here? some of these response we would have kicked your face in for this crap. Not sure if its an ego or smugness issue, but something is up. I belong to a lot of forums for various activities and hobbies and i have never seen it as bad as it is THT.

Just an observation, people are of course free to post whatever they want, just find it interesting its so bad here, and for sure its only a small minority as ive seen a lot of people go the extra mile to be helpful or using friendly persuasion to help bring people over to their ideas..etc..
Great observation and I totally agree. Some people feel big and important by trying to make others look small, dumb or less than. Insecurity manifests itself in many ways here on THT. And that is The Whole Truth.
tarpononecharter is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:57 PM
  #39  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,013
Default

I actually have a related thermostat story that actually happened on one of my F250 four strokes. I had an overheat alarm and upon disassembly we learned that one of the thermostats had failed in the OPEN position. I couldn't understand why this would cause the motor to overheat. My mechanic says that this allowed all of the cooling water to enter the bank of cylinders with the totally open thermostat and deprive the other bank of cylinders of adequate coolant. Two new thermostats and I was back in business. Now I routinely change them every 400 or 500 hours.
tarpononecharter is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 01:35 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 683
Default

Originally Posted by tunnles View Post
In this day and age thermostats are necessary because of ECU UNITS control nearly all motors and how they run and how much fuel is required and when etc etc Do you understand what ECU UNIT is ?? The little magic box the dictates what you motor will give you ! all and ever motor these days are using them But some clever hackers have been able to reprogram them to give you more power that's there but the ecu is not giving it to you !! Bet you didn't realize that did you !! your outboard , your car anything with a motor these days has them And your thermostat is a part of the controlling mechanism !!so if you don't use a thermostat your in trouble and it will cost you !Bet you didn't know that either did you !! SO LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY You got a long way to go before you even get close so you better learn 2 new things each day
The post is about a 1995 Merc. Hardly a “This day and age” motor. Maybe the OP could retype his post reeeeeal slow so you could read it again and understand it.
JMarkB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread