Notices
Like Tree4Likes

Another new vs used question

Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 401
Default Another new vs used question

I've negotiated what I believe to be a good price on a new boat (top tier dual console). I am still in due diligence on the new boat. Just this morning, a 2014 model popped up on boattrader. It has the same exact components that I want. The listed price is about 40% less than the new boat. The boat appears to be pampered. Obviously, if I went this route, a survey would be done.

Assuming a clean survey, what would you do?

Dave Johnston is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boynton Beach Islamorada
Posts: 2,269
Default

How much money do you have to waste?
kennyboy is online now  
Old 03-10-2019, 12:49 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle Peninsula, VA
Posts: 1,351
Default

Spend the other 40% on beer.
mcnance865 likes this.
1976K204x4 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:53 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,533
Default

Depends on how much YOU want to take that exact same 40% hit.
Fiberglass1 Inc is online now  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:57 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 498
Default

If you want a new boat, buy a new boat. It's your money.
tmd11111 likes this.
cdrhoek is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:59 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 465
Default

Come on, it's not that clear cut. With a new boat and engines you get a warranty. You get to outfit it exactly like you want, no more and no less. You get at least a couple of years of maintenance free boating. OK, routine maintenance, but no repairs. That has value in both $$ and availability (as in, no cancelled fishing trips because something broke). And while it sounds new, a 2014 boat is now 5 years old. Things are starting to break and wear out. And no matter how good your surveyor, he/she might miss something that you have to pay to fix (I know, I'm a surveyor). So maybe it's worth it you. I've owned three used boats and two new ones. Each one has been a separate decision.
74lbSteve is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:01 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 7,138
Default

40% difference? Hell man, that's a no brainer. Used.
Brad1 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:16 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: St Louis, Mo / Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 95
Default

A 5 yr old boat depreciated 40% in 5 years? Something ain't right.
NewStyle is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:19 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 37
Default

I was in this position a while back. I found a leftover, previous-year boat but still new. I was about to buy it when a 3 year old used one, (same exact boat) with 25 hours on the motor came on the market. In my case the savings was "only" about 28%. But still! I went with the used one. It worked out very well.
goosecover is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southeast Ct.
Posts: 837
Default

Your certainly not wed to the new boat. You found a 100% boat @ 40% cost. Do you have some pics?
Gullpt is online now  
Old 03-10-2019, 03:53 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL., GA, CO, Utah, WA, depends. In CA now.
Posts: 9,173
Default

Originally Posted by 74lbSteve View Post
Come on, it's not that clear cut. With a new boat and engines you get a warranty. You get to outfit it exactly like you want, no more and no less. You get at least a couple of years of maintenance free boating. OK, routine maintenance, but no repairs. That has value in both $$ and availability (as in, no cancelled fishing trips because something broke). And while it sounds new, a 2014 boat is now 5 years old. Things are starting to break and wear out. And no matter how good your surveyor, he/she might miss something that you have to pay to fix (I know, I'm a surveyor). So maybe it's worth it you. I've owned three used boats and two new ones. Each one has been a separate decision.
Hmm. I have a 9 yr old boat with 900 hrs on the F250. I bought boat brand new off the dealer. Nothing has broken on it yet nor do I expect anything to break. If the boat is like new and in good shape he should consider it. Specially if it still has the Yamahaha warranty for another year and it is not one of those "Upper Tier" that we read about here all the time..

I do not buy used boats. The ones I've seen were not worth the trip. Time is money..

Where are the pix of the boat? We want pictures or videos..
solarfry is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:36 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 401
Default

Originally Posted by solarfry View Post
Hmm. I have a 9 yr old boat with 900 hrs on the F250. I bought boat brand new off the dealer. Nothing has broken on it yet nor do I expect anything to break. If the boat is like new and in good shape he should consider it. Specially if it still has the Yamahaha warranty for another year and it is not one of those "Upper Tier" that we read about here all the time..

I do not buy used boats. The ones I've seen were not worth the trip. Time is money..

Where are the pix of the boat? We want pictures or videos..
Against my better judgement, here's the boat:

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...nced%20listing

My "40% off new" might be a tad over-stated, but not much. It's not apples to apples because the new build had hardtop but no trailer, nor electronics. So, with my math it comes out to 35-40% difference. The boat in the boattrader ad has 100 hours, has had one owner, and stored inside when not in use.

There are comments about "not being wed to the boat" (referring to the new boat). While that's probably true, I'm not really against it. I love the new boat, but the $ difference between the two is a lot and I'm only trying to determine if it's worth it.

*Also, I'm sure there is a large percent of people thinking "for that money, i'd by x or y". I've done a ton of homework and this is the boat i want....no other brand or model.

many thanks.

Dave
Dave Johnston is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raleigh & Harkers Island, NC
Posts: 460
Default

Used and I still find it incredible what people are paying for boats these days. No way I could afford to replace the one I have.......
Center Crusher is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: cape cod
Posts: 844
Default

Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
Against my better judgement, here's the boat:

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...nced%20listing

My "40% off new" might be a tad over-stated, but not much. It's not apples to apples because the new build had hardtop but no trailer, nor electronics. So, with my math it comes out to 35-40% difference. The boat in the boattrader ad has 100 hours, has had one owner, and stored inside when not in use.

There are comments about "not being wed to the boat" (referring to the new boat). While that's probably true, I'm not really against it. I love the new boat, but the $ difference between the two is a lot and I'm only trying to determine if it's worth it.

*Also, I'm sure there is a large percent of people thinking "for that money, i'd by x or y". I've done a ton of homework and this is the boat i want....no other brand or model.

many thanks.

Dave
Unfortunately Dave there are way too many unknowns in your equation for anyone to really tell you what to do. New is new plain and simple. Is that worth 40% to you or is saving 50k more important? It's up to you to decide that. There are guys here that never buy used, guys that only buy used, and guys that try and find the best deal going. If they can find a perfect boat and save 50k they're in. Good luck
cman55 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,378
Default

My money buys the used boat. I don't need brand new.
Lookinup76 is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 68
Default

Whalers are high quality boats and should last a long time. I've owned boats for 30 years and have never bought a new boat. I would rather let someone else put the first scratch in it.

Buy the used Whaler, get a survey, put $5k aside for repairs (should last you), and dont look back.
jets and Work 'em Silly like this.
Yobub is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 03:03 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Marathon Fl. (Sombrero Isle)
Posts: 2,602
Default

Well I vote used, In general you get more boat for your money, But I do not say go used at all costs. If the boat has been modified, used hard etc... than keep looking or go new. Think of it this way, Your talking about a 30-40K savings, Do you know for a fact that you will get 40K of use out of it in 5 years. If not go used for sure. For that matter are you going to want to upsize in 3-5 years. Go used for sure also. Last thing to think about. Say it is a bad boat and lots of shit goes wrong, can you fix everything up for say 20K since your time and effort have value also.

I like the idea of buying a boat with at least 1 year of warranty on the motors. This way I can make sure everything is 100% OK before I am responsible for them.

Good Luck which ever way you decided.

I am very happy with my 3 year used boat purchase. Now a 8 year old boat. I think it iw worth damn close to what I paid. If I boat new I bet I would be down by say 50K or so
highflier1 is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:12 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 15
Default

Used...unless you will be 40% happier, or you'll have 40% more fun, or it will perform 40% better, or you will catch 40% more fis..........
Jerzypir8s is online now  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 89
Default

By the used boat. Tuck some of that $50k saving away for an engine replacement and new cushions in 5 - 10 years.
2LBI is offline  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:48 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,810
Default

Originally Posted by NewStyle View Post
A 5 yr old boat depreciated 40% in 5 years? Something ain't right.
30-40% is pretty standard in 5 years

i bought a one year and change old boat, more than a half a million dollar boat, the first owner took a 30% hit in that first year, and good for me, the builder increased the price of the boat $50-100k in newer builds, and its a very popular model that they are doing their last builds of in 2019 with no replacement. may hold one more year and move up in size.
mystery is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread