Notices
Like Tree330Likes

42 Invincible sinking

Old 03-09-2019, 05:17 AM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 344
Default

I bet Jupiter wished this happened about a month ago😂😂
Rferrell is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:18 AM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 1,334
Default

Originally Posted by Rod27 View Post
on FB a friend of the owner said the "hull split". Ive heard of other 42's having hull issues, but not recently. A good friend of mine just received his new 42.
Ohhhh boy
rhysleo is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:21 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 991
Default

Originally Posted by Schmaltz~Herring View Post
Should buy a Boston whaler next time.
Or a Jupiter?
Schmaltz~Herring likes this.
scubaholic is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:27 AM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 4,093
Default

Time to short invincible.
wangotango321 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 AM
  #45  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 2,174
Default

I came up on a boat at the marina that had both bilge pumps pumping as the guy pulled up on his lift. The gasket on the top of his sea chest had blown out. He realized something was wrong when the boat started to handle differently, he was on plane and apparently it was on plane when it happened. He shut it down and opened the hatch and had 3' of water in the bilge. This was on a quad engine 40+' cat. He jumped in and went straight to the 2" seacock that fed the sea chest and then jumped back on plane hoping that was where the water was coming from. Both bilge pumps ran for 20 minutes after he got his boat back to the lift.
No number of bilge pumps will keep up with failed seawater connection.
pooldoo73 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:51 AM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,383
Default

Originally Posted by pooldoo73 View Post
I came up on a boat at the marina that had both bilge pumps pumping as the guy pulled up on his lift. The gasket on the top of his sea chest had blown out. He realized something was wrong when the boat started to handle differently, he was on plane and apparently it was on plane when it happened. He shut it down and opened the hatch and had 3' of water in the bilge. This was on a quad engine 40+' cat. He jumped in and went straight to the 2" seacock that fed the sea chest and then jumped back on plane hoping that was where the water was coming from. Both bilge pumps ran for 20 minutes after he got his boat back to the lift.
No number of bilge pumps will keep up with failed seawater connection.
Larger boats inevitably have lots of through hulls for livewells, generator, AC, etc etc., not to mention transducers. Inboards do give you a possible for of salvation. I have a "crash pump" setup on my engines that allows the cooling water intake to be closed and draw from the bilge. A 500 hp Diesel makes a hell of a bilge pump, pulling 60 gallons per minute so with both I can do 120 gpm. Beats any little electric bilge pump by a multiple.. Of course the issue is can you get down there and reset the seacocks in time....
smccormick likes this.
ClassicGuy is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:52 AM
  #47  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 350
Default

Originally Posted by cman55 View Post
I gotta assume Coast Guard, luckily, had a boat very close to them when they received call and told them to sit tight. There's no mention of life raft being deployed and I would assume a seasoned captain on a 42 ft boat would have a life raft and would have deployed it unless CC said we'll be there in 5, or no life raft and they just got reeeeeaaaal lucky.

US Coast Guard Sector Miami FB Post:

"Two minutes after a retirement for EMC Blackman at U. S. Coast Guard Station Fort Pierce, Sector Miami received a distress call from the vessel COCO LOCO, a 42-foot Invincible, reporting that they were taking on water 40 nautical miles east of Fort Pierce Inlet with 3 adults onboard. Their bilge pumps were unable to keep up and water was quickly flooding the deck.

With life jackets on, life raft at the ready, and their EPIRB activated, Station Fort Pierce, an U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Miami HC-144 Casa fixed wing plane, HH-65 helo, Tow BoatUS Fort Pierce, and Sea Tow Treasure Coast immediately launched to assist. The Casa arrived on scene within 15 minutes and orbited overhead until Station's Response Boat-Medium arrived on scene to begin dewatering operations.

During the tow, the Tow BoatUS tow line parted and Station quickly reestablished the tow before finally bringing the vessel to a safe haven to be hauled out.

Excellent work to everyone involved assisting 3 lives and their boat!"

rblochli and Gunner38 like this.
RingerSwivels is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,331
Default

Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Had to be something major, that boat should not be easy to almost sink. Found a video of the same boat -
Coco Loco on a Better Day

holy sh*t a Captain Obvious sighting!
oldbrowndog is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:11 AM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 104
Default

Originally Posted by MattH View Post
I have no idea what happened in this case but I had a Carolina Classic that had a thru Hull for the raw water wash down in front of the engine in the bilge. No way to feasibly get to it. Never gave me any trouble but always worried me.

Not or sure why boat manufacturers would do something like that. Iím sure other boats have thru hulls that you canít get to.
I have a Contender 25T with same issue. I canít reach the seacocks to turn them off let alone try to put a plug in them if taking on water. I donít understand why manufacturers set them so far back in the bilge.
jcirks and BCPD199 like this.
Poon Daddy is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:16 AM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: satellite beach, fla
Posts: 1,103
Default

There are multiple entries on Facebook talking of a split about a foot behind the bow thruster.
satbeachbill is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 AM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Old Lyme, CT / Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 225
Default

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post
Larger boats inevitably have lots of through hulls for livewells, generator, AC, etc etc., not to mention transducers. Inboards do give you a possible for of salvation. I have a "crash pump" setup on my engines that allows the cooling water intake to be closed and draw from the bilge. A 500 hp Diesel makes a hell of a bilge pump, pulling 60 gallons per minute so with both I can do 120 gpm. Beats any little electric bilge pump by a multiple.. Of course the issue is can you get down there and reset the seacocks in time....

We have the same setup on our Pershing. Two 1550 Mans can suck a lot of water. Sounds like a damn truck pumping a septic lol
302sport is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:24 AM
  #52  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 867
Default

Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
There are multiple entries on Facebook talking of a split about a foot behind the bow thruster.
Isn't the glass very thick there? 3 inches or more?
Brocnizer1 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:33 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 106
Default

Glad everyone got back safe. Now if someone could head over to the parts section and buy some pitchforks and a noose.
Wicked4659 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,587
Default

Originally Posted by Brocnizer1 View Post
Isn't the glass very thick there? 3 inches or more?
Those are Two Big Holes to cut in a hull.
Wonder if it was engineered or just drilled.
Factory or Ned at the boat yard??
Heard that most ďboatsĒ were designed by
engineers who were Not Marine Engineers.
Wonder if that has changed, or did in this case.

I guess that that is the way we get to water.
Keep drilling holes

Who makes the best popcorn?
Do the factors at THT own some of those companies??
wezie is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 AM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 572
Default

Originally Posted by Poon Daddy View Post


I have a Contender 25T with same issue. I canít reach the seacocks to turn them off let alone try to put a plug in them if taking on water. I donít understand why manufacturers set them so far back in the bilge.
I had the same boat and this would piss me off to no end,,, my Intrepid came with (2) 12v KZ Valves back there which is really nice,,, pretty sure these are the ones I have, 3sec close time,,,

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.901.1529/6145
lagarto is online now  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:00 AM
  #56  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,057
Default

I know its too early to know the cause, however with joystick capabilities on modern outboard boats, why would ANYONE get a bow thruster?????
fishcop is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 AM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,955
Default

It has been awhile since a hull failure. I am sure the local THT investigstors are working on pictures. Has to in in a yard nearby.
killaman926 and BadBowtie03 like this.
duke460 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 AM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 338
Default

With the amount of bow thrusters out there and the few numbers of bow thruster hull failures we hear about, I would say this is an anomaly.
As an owner of an Invincible 42 Center Cabin, this is however disturbing. I do have a bow thruster and chose not to get the Mercury Skyhook system. Would rather the thruster. For me, I don't see the need for the Skyhook.

Anymore info on the cause of the split?
Schmaltz~Herring likes this.
bpurdy0072 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 288
Default

Glad everyone got back safe.

Boston whaler, Seahunter, and Cape Horn are foamed unsinkable boats.
KVKV is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 288
Default

Originally Posted by fishcop View Post
I know its too early to know the cause, however with joystick capabilities on modern outboard boats, why would ANYONE get a bow thruster?????
I believe the bow thruster responds quicker. I have both bow thruster and joystick on my boat.
KVKV is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread