Notices
The Boating Forum

Engine vs Motor

Old 02-27-2019, 11:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Beacon Ny, Forked River
Posts: 356
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Engine vs Motor

How many people here know the difference? Doesn't seem like many really do.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:51 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Miriam webster's dictionary AND wikipedia define both terms as basically interchangable. Don't go there....

Most will say electric motor vs internal combustion engine... I personally don't care... Sometimes I say engine, sometimes I say motor.
Likes:
AGENT86, CANARIANFISHER, cummins28, hozpypr, mattttt25, Snow Shovel, Striperk9, The Drifter and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:52 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Terra Ceia FL
Posts: 2,306
Likes: 0
Received 258 Likes on 128 Posts
Default

Not sure but I think a know-it-all will be along shortly to educate us.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: St Augustine, Fl
Posts: 1,014
Received 350 Likes on 172 Posts
Default

Wgafra?
Likes:
Old 02-27-2019, 11:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bluevein View Post
Wgafra?

derp?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:05 PM
  #6  
dev
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 783
Received 1,029 Likes on 468 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bluevein View Post
Wgafra?
Agreed. Dumb debate.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 6,110
Received 1,632 Likes on 904 Posts
Default

The terms are interchangeable, though most refer to electric motors, and gas engines, I don't know anyone who has an outboard engine, they all have an outboard motor, when your car needs a new engine, you get a crate motor, or replace the motor.
Likes:
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 3,168
Received 1,725 Likes on 817 Posts
Default

Sounds like a Tunnels question.
If there's a following statement about Chinese engines/motors being better, for all and everything, compared to Amelican....You're suspect.
Is that you, T?

Sorry if you're not, man. It just sounds like a set-up question/statement, in an all too familiar fashion.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Beacon Ny, Forked River
Posts: 356
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dev View Post
Agreed. Dumb debate.
Oh I'm sorry.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 337
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Motor is electric. Engine is Internal combustion engine or ICE (diesel , gasoline, hydrogen, propane, natural gas, did I leave any out?).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,767
Received 574 Likes on 346 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jcbrown630 View Post
Miriam webster's dictionary AND wikipedia define both terms as basically interchangable. Don't go there....

Most will say electric motor vs internal combustion engine... I personally don't care... Sometimes I say engine, sometimes I say motor.
This,

If you ask me the difference its internal combustion vs not internal combustion but really who cares?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,224
Received 3,748 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 4thFin View Post
Motor is electric. Engine is Internal combustion engine or ICE (diesel , gasoline, hydrogen, propane, natural gas, did I leave any out?).
I've sent a note to Motor Trend magazine demanding a name change or only report on electric cars.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,644
Received 1,124 Likes on 548 Posts
Default

Where does that leave external combustion engines? Oh... wait.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 194
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Spam
Likes:
Old 02-27-2019, 12:33 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 12,719
Received 2,534 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default

Here we go again. This comes up about once a year. Usually in the dead of winter.

With respect to gasoline piston powered vehicles/devices there is at least:

Ford Motor Company
Toyota Motor Company
Honda Motor Company
Department of motor vehicles (damn near all 50 states)
General Motors
Hyundai Motor Company
Bavarian Motor Works
Suzuki Motor Corporation
Evinrude Outboard Motors
Continental Motors
Etc.

According to some, they have it all wrong.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 12,719
Received 2,534 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
The terms are interchangeable, though most refer to electric motors, and gas engines, I don't know anyone who has an outboard engine, they all have an outboard motor, when your car needs a new engine, you get a crate motor, or replace the motor.
Who is/are "most"?

Seems that the majority of the piston motor makers refer to themselves as motor.

Ford Engine Company?
Yamaha Engine Corporation?
Bavarian Engine Works?

Sounds funny.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:35 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 337
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by coastboater View Post


I've sent a note to Motor Trend magazine demanding a name change or only report on electric cars.
Shop teacher from long ago drilled that difference into our heads. After a few weeks he would put 0s in the grade book if you got it wrong. I kind of remembered (after a few bad memories).
Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 236
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Does it matter?
Old 02-27-2019, 12:39 PM
  #19  
HTJ
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 11,327
Received 3,229 Likes on 1,998 Posts
Default

Funny you can take a repurposed automotive engine and make an outboard motor with it
Likes:
Old 02-27-2019, 12:42 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Beacon Ny, Forked River
Posts: 356
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Here we go again. This comes up about once a year. Usually in the dead of winter.

With respect to gasoline piston powered vehicles/devices there is at least:

Ford Motor Company
Toyota Motor Company
Honda Motor Company
Department of motor vehicles (damn near all 50 states)
General Motors
Hyundai Motor Company
Bavarian Motor Works
Suzuki Motor Corporation
Evinrude Outboard Motors
Continental Motors
Etc.

According to some, they have it all wrong.
I'll remember that when I change my first starter engine.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.