The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   The Boating Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum-14/)
-   -   Eastward Boats Hull #4 "Salty Sway" (https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/989901-eastward-boats-hull-4-salty-sway.html)

Diverboy264 02-23-2019 12:16 PM

Eastward Boats Hull #4 "Salty Sway"
 
Hi there,

I'm really excited to announce Eastward Boats is building me a semi-custom Center Console for use in the Northern Gulf of Mexico.

FUN FACT: I wasn't even in the market for a new boat! Why now, you might ask?

Over the past few years watching the Catamaran craze take place and copious amount of new hulls being developed, I saw a trend. Small builders putting out a high quality semi-custom product at an affordable price and almost instantaneously have a 2 year backlog. After following Dave East's Horizon 3000 Demo build, I decided it was time to get in-line. Seeing the quality, fit, functionality, efficiency, along with the proven hull design that provides a smooth dry ride, it was a no brainer.

Onto the build;

30 FT CC HULL:
-Awl-grip (Lauderdale Blue) sides and tunnel down to the 2nd Lap.
-White Top Cap and Interior
-SS Rub-rail
-Armstrong bracket Awl-grip (Starke White) to match the Top cap
-Extended Dive Platform w/ SeaDek and Oversized Ladder
-Walk through Transom
-Oversized Hard-Top (underside Lauderdale Blue) with 3 sided tempered glass enclosure down to console, two rows Rod Holders
-Dual Transom Live wells
-2 Rear in-deck insulated fish boxes
-2 Forward in-deck storage boxes
-Forward Coffin Box w/Lounger and armrest
-Tackle center Leaner with dual Helm/bolster chairs, Rear tackle station, slide out cooler, port side drawers, and starboard side access. 4 Gemlux cup/rod holders
-Lee Sidewinder outrigger bases
-Lee 20ft Telescoping Carbon poles
-16 Gemlux screw less gunnel rod holders

POWER:
-Twin 30" Suzuki 300's in White
-Fly-by wire controls
-Suzuki SMD 7"

ELECTRONICS:
-2 Simrad Evo 3 12"
-2 Simrad RS20 VHF's
-1 Simrad 3 in 1 Side scan, down scan, chirp transducer
-1 B175HW transducer
-1 JL MM 100S-BE Head unit
-1 JL M400/4 amp
-1 JL M600/6 amp
-2 JL M series 10" subs
-6 JL M series 7.7 speakers
-Spreader lights, LED accent down-lights
-2 Hubbell deep drop plugs

I'm sure a few more additions will come as the boat is born!

Like other early hull owners, the decision was made to invest in Dave himself and deposit submitted prior to splashing of the Demo hull. Thus far, I'm thoroughly impressed with Dave's open communication and his teams dedication and pride going into these builds.

Pics to come soon!

BoatPoor2 02-23-2019 12:21 PM

I'm in for the ride....congrats!

aFORDable 02-23-2019 12:23 PM

Oh darn. Another Eastward build I have to follow. j/k

Thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing this build. https://www.thehulltruth.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

frankpunt 02-23-2019 12:45 PM

Following.
I am build #15 in November.
How come Suzuki and not Evinrude ?

why 30" motors? I think he going with 25" on the other boats.

Diverboy264 02-23-2019 02:07 PM

Frank

The Armstrong bracket is designed for 30" motors keeping the platform flat and high enough to clear the tunnel, thus keeping the Powerheads additional 5" higher out of the water.

I've been a life-long Yamaha guy, and choose to go with the Suzuki's for a few reasons. Yamaha has become really proud of their product and increased cost are above the norm. In most recent years, Suzuki has really improved their reliability and on par with the industry, but at a reduced cost. I choose to spend the money else where on my build. I have nothing bad to say about Evinrude, just haven't consider them.

jwlsh 02-23-2019 02:47 PM

Congrats!! I'm #16, right behind Frank. Thanks for sharing your build, looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. Like you, I have yammies today so really interested in how the Zukes go for you. Evinrude has an attractive product, but I see more Suzuki mechanics than Evinrude locally which is a consideration for me.

Regulator_32 02-23-2019 03:07 PM

Congrats on the New Build

DLodge 02-23-2019 03:17 PM

Anyone know what the Pre-ordered Build/Hull count is up to?

frankpunt 02-23-2019 03:19 PM

Are you getting Eastward to aquire / install the Suzuki's are you doing it locally ?

frankpunt 02-23-2019 03:33 PM


Originally Posted by Diverboy264 (Post 12273599)
Frank

The Armstrong bracket is designed for 30" motors keeping the platform flat and high enough to clear the tunnel, thus keeping the Powerheads additional 5" higher out of the water.

I've been a life-long Yamaha guy, and choose to go with the Suzuki's for a few reasons. Yamaha has become really proud of their product and increased cost are above the norm. In most recent years, Suzuki has really improved their reliability and on par with the industry, but at a reduced cost. I choose to spend the money else where on my build. I have nothing bad to say about Evinrude, just haven't consider them.

I am not sure, but I think the performance report from Evinrude that is on the Eastward website says 25" motors mounted in the second hole.

The Woo 02-23-2019 04:56 PM

Congratulations!
I’m watching with interest to see how it performs with the power chosen.

pooldoo73 02-23-2019 05:14 PM

30 motors. Regardless of brand. Armstrong brackets would have to be modified for 25 motors.

DownForDeco 02-23-2019 05:15 PM


Originally Posted by DLodge (Post 12273749)
Anyone know what the Pre-ordered Build/Hull count is up to?

UCF was up there yesterday and might know for sure. When I talked to Dave at the show he had sold a few slots into 2020 already and on the other thread someone just put in another deposit. I would guess were up to March 2020 for slots. So maybe hull #20 now? Email Dave, he responds super fast, Im curious what its up to now as well :)

UCF 02-23-2019 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by pooldoo73 (Post 12274032)
30 motors. Regardless of brand. Armstrong brackets would have to be modified for 25 motors.

X2

30" motors

UCF 02-23-2019 05:33 PM

Nice meeting you and your family Friday. Congrats with your new boat.

Will be neat to see another build thread.

Lindsay typically does a client appreciation tailgate every year for a football game. We have anywhere from 100 to 200 people normally. If you remind next fall, we would love to have you guys out to see a game (if your daughter is still on the fence).


UCF 02-23-2019 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by DownForDeco (Post 12274037)


UCF was up there yesterday and might know for sure. When I talked to Dave at the show he had sold a few slots into 2020 already and on the other thread someone just put in another deposit. I would guess were up to March 2020 for slots. So maybe hull #20 now? Email Dave, he responds super fast, Im curious what its up to now as well :)

Well... we didnt discuss it yesterday. But I know 2019 is done. I dont want to speak for Dave but I know the show was really good for him. The boats ride impressed alot of people. When we last spoke after the show, deposits and contracts were executed and in the works. I know a few more have scheduled demo rides in the next few weeks.

Also Dave should have some news coming up soon. (No it's not the 50 footer)


frankpunt 02-23-2019 07:03 PM


Originally Posted by BassnBays (Post 11411088)
This bracket is designed for 30" motors. It keeps the platform flat and high enough to clear the tunnel. Plus, the powerheads or 5" higher out of the water.

I stand corrected. Definitely 30" motors.

Jumpsummo 02-23-2019 07:26 PM

I'd like to see drawings. Are you keeping the forward cabin? That was one of my options a WA HT with walking space all around and still the small cabin.

Waiting for the Numbers on UCF's G2 300's performance vs. The 259's. Now I may get to see A Suzi pair as well. Those two are leading my choices as well. For the same reasons Yamaha has lost a customer.

Freshpow 02-23-2019 08:06 PM

Congrats!!!
its a lot of fun seeing your boat being built to your desires.

BassnBays 02-24-2019 05:09 AM

Since I haven't forwarded these pictures to Bruce yet, I'll catch up the build.
Here's gelcoat applied and hull being skinned with 1.5oz matt cloth. As stated before, we do use a resin gun to mix and apply the resin but NO chopper gun. Not that chopper guns are totally bad, but by using cloth from a roll we are guaranteed a consistent thickness. Plus, chopper guns make a heck of a mess.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...2b2053bd4c.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...71ef9fb68b.jpg

mikee332 02-24-2019 05:17 AM


Originally Posted by UCF (Post 12274142)
Well... we didnt discuss it yesterday. But I know 2019 is done. I dont want to speak for Dave but I know the show was really good for him. The boats ride impressed alot of people. When we last spoke after the show, deposits and contracts were executed and in the works. I know a few more have scheduled demo rides in the next few weeks.

Also Dave should have some news coming up soon. (No it's not the 50 footer)

24 footer??

UCF 02-24-2019 05:25 AM


Originally Posted by mikee332 (Post 12274953)
24 footer??

It's not a new model.

BassnBays 02-24-2019 05:33 AM

Here's the first layers of 4108 heavy cloth applied to the hull sponsons and tunnel edge. The hull sides have an additional layer of 1.5oz mat and 2mil Coremat. The Coremat prevents the print-through of the heavy layers.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...7b7a10a91a.jpg
The top of the tunnel is capped with 4108, which overlaps the sponson glass.
I am so fortunate to have the craftsmen that I have working for me. This team has been working together for a long time, actually first started working for me in early 2000. Even though no one normally sees what's under the deck of a boat, their work is clean and smooth. They truly take pride in the boats they help to build.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...19ca40e974.jpg

More 4108 being applied and a good chance to show the amount of overlap of each layer in the two critical areas of the hull, the bottom of the sponsons and tunnel corners.


https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...e654d70f6c.jpg

BassnBays 02-24-2019 06:03 AM

More 4108 has been applied to the hull sides, over the layers of 1.5oz mat and Coremat.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...aba4bb59da.jpg

Once all of the heavy cloth has been applied, we glass in the bulkheads and sub-floor stringers.
We made a change, starting with hull #3. We were using 1.5" medium density foam core for our bulkheads. Both sides had to be laminated with a layer of 1708 stitchmat cloth, prior to installation. We have always used 1.5" high density Coosa foam core for our transom. We have replaced the medium density foam core with the same high density Coosa.The change doesn't add or takeaway any structural integrity, it reduces the labor hours of laminating the 1708 to the medium density foam core and better utilizes waste.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...f1af0a39cf.jpg

BassnBays 02-24-2019 06:17 AM


Originally Posted by UCF (Post 12274142)
Well... we didnt discuss it yesterday. But I know 2019 is done. I dont want to speak for Dave but I know the show was really good for him. The boats ride impressed alot of people. When we last spoke after the show, deposits and contracts were executed and in the works. I know a few more have scheduled demo rides in the next few weeks.

Also Dave should have some news coming up soon. (No it's not the 50 footer)

OK, now that the "cats out of the bag" (no pun intended) in March we will be moving into our own free-standing, much larger, building. It's in Ft. Pierce. Next door to Maverick, in the same area as Pursuit and Bluewater. Boat builders central as it were. This move is not to try and greatly increase our production, although it will to a small extent, we just ran out of room in our present facility. Once we're moved in I'll post more pics.


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...6fed9eb659.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...d208aa511e.jpg

Jumpsummo 02-24-2019 06:40 AM

Congrats Dave on the new space. Hope it's cooler for the guys too. Had to be a balmy 90 down there last week,

Freshpow 02-24-2019 10:11 AM


Originally Posted by BassnBays (Post 12275168)
OK, now that the "cats out of the bag" (no pun intended) in March we will be moving into our own free-standing, much larger, building. It's in Ft. Pierce. Next door to Maverick, in the same area as Pursuit and Bluewater. Boat builders central as it were. This move is not to try and greatly increase our production, although it will to a small extent, we just ran out of room in our present facility. Once we're moved in I'll post more pics.


https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...6fed9eb659.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...d208aa511e.jpg

congratulations on finding a new space. It will be nice to have everything under one roof and some elbow room for the crew.

Diverboy264 02-24-2019 11:37 AM

Quick Update,

Finally made it down to Port St. Lucie to visit Dave's shop and went for a quick ride with the family. I was thoroughly impressed with the cleanliness of the shop and how the space was utilized, accommodating the ongoing work taking place. Definitely lots of coordination between Dave and his team to accomplish multiples builds in different stages.

Onto the boat ride. We splashed the boat and while idling out, Dave mentioned it would be sloppy at the inlet and we could make the call on arrival. I was thinking ideal conditions for a true performance test, Hard falling tide and stiff East breeze. About a half mile from the inlet, Dave turns to my wife and daughter to asked if it was a go. They both nodded their heads and said hammer down. At 35 mph the boat ate the seas up like it was nothing, all while we remained comfortable and dry. After running around and hitting waves from every angle, we stopped to sit in a sloppy side sea. Once again, the boat impressed with it's stability and very little noticeable roll. When returning to the inlet, Dave looked over and told us to hold on. As Dave eased the throttles forward, the boat went from 35 to 52 in mere seconds eating the slop up, while passing everyone in sight. The boat is definitely a head turner and we were all smiles and windburned.

To sum things up, I couldn't be happier and definitely made the right decision investing in Dave and his product. He is a very genuine, knowledgeable, and down to earth person that I'd like to call a friend.

Diverboy264 02-24-2019 11:47 AM

Dave thanks for adding the pictures of the build thus far and your time during the wet test.

Eric, it was a pleasure meeting you and Lindsey and will definitely take you up on the Tailgating offer, if our busy schedules allow. Crawling around your boat also helped envisioning my build as well, the 2 are very similar.

Frank, The Suzuki's will be shipped to the shop and rigged in house by Dave's crew.

Jumpsummo, this build is going to be a Center Console.

frankpunt 02-24-2019 12:07 PM

Looking forward to getting there soon and seeing the new factory and get a demo ride.
Was looking at Simard electronics for my current boat today and the 16 inch screen looks really nice.
By the way my boat will be named SALTY HOG
Currently planning on a pilothouse. Not sure if it will be a W/A or not.
Waiting to see what some of the other boats look like.
Interesting call on the motors.
We have plenty of EVINRUDE support in NY/Long Island & the deal Dave has with the free I-dock and 10 yr warranty is hard to pass up.
\Plus everything is cheaper in Florida then in NY !

steelcityfishanddive 02-24-2019 02:17 PM

Be careful on having Dave hang the Suzukis. While Dave's team is more than competent to do so, Eastward is not OEM Suzuki. If you have an issue, Suzuki will deny you because of this. You can call their customer service department for details. We're #10 and I've been looking into Suzuki's and Yamaha.

Jumpsummo 02-24-2019 02:50 PM

Hopefully Dave gets the Popes blessing to install before you engines arrive. Even if it requires a Certified Factory Wiz to come sign off on the install,

Diverboy264 02-24-2019 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by steelcityfishanddive (Post 12276409)
Be careful on having Dave hang the Suzukis. While Dave's team is more than competent to do so, Eastward is not OEM Suzuki. If you have an issue, Suzuki will deny you because of this. You can call their customer service department for details. We're #10 and I've been looking into Suzuki's and Yamaha.

Thanks for the information! We haven't worked that angle yet, but have the option of having Brain at International Marine do the install.

steelcityfishanddive 02-24-2019 04:02 PM

Yep, Brian can do that for you. Just have to get the boat back and forth.

pooldoo73 02-24-2019 05:24 PM

Outboard specialties is a little over an hour north of Dave. May be the largest duke dealer in the world.

steelcityfishanddive 02-24-2019 05:35 PM

The price I got between those two wasn't all that close with International Marine winning. Even with some contacts for other Suzuki installers, I couldn't do better than International.

Diverboy264 02-25-2019 04:50 AM


Originally Posted by steelcityfishanddive (Post 12276974)
The price I got between those two wasn't all that close with International Marine winning. Even with some contacts for other Suzuki installers, I couldn't do better than International.

Likewise, the motors will be purchased through International Marine. Since the Suzuki's are the first set mounted on a Horizon, Brain offered to wet test and get the mounting / prop configuration correct. Dave can then run the boat and produce a Performance report for all others interested.

acteg 02-25-2019 05:53 AM

In for the build. I'm going to have to swing by the factory sometime soon. Looks like a great rig. Congrats.

BassnBays 02-25-2019 07:59 AM

The birth of Bruce's boat......

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...d099d6e742.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...d7d1b5a923.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...5270e03764.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...ed217f52c3.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...c5e4d073bb.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...1f2d27d3b3.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...4b890d8cef.jpg

frankpunt 02-25-2019 08:16 AM


Originally Posted by Diverboy264 (Post 12277736)
Likewise, the motors will be purchased through International Marine. Since the Suzuki's are the first set mounted on a Horizon, Brain offered to wet test and get the mounting / prop configuration correct. Dave can then run the boat and produce a Performance report for all others interested.

BALLPARK, what did you find the difference in pricing with SUZUKI vs YAMAHA vs EVINRUDE ?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.