Notices
Like Tree110Likes

Going poo poo in the water

Old 02-21-2019, 08:47 PM
  #161  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,039
Default

Originally Posted by FL Bill View Post
Your wife sounds like a blast...

and now we wait...
Wait for wife or dog??
Gary999 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 AM
  #162  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 185
Default

My much older neighbor told me that when they used to dump sewage into Tampa Bay they would call the floaters "blind mullet."

I has a POS boat that we threw together while we were rebuilding our diesel boat to be able to fish. I named it "floater," inevitably the linkage from the powerhead to the lower broke and we had to call sea tow. The radio calls had laughing "motor vessel floater....."
mattlex is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:25 AM
  #163  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by solarfry View Post


Doesn’t it follow you around, like a puppy? Do you feel ok swimming in the neighborhood cesspool?
Swimming in Gin clear water with 150' of visibility under the boat doesn't really feel like a cesspool, That's the feeling I get swimming in brackish river water haha....
Shot Out is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 AM
  #164  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Barnegat Bay, NJ
Posts: 582
Default

Originally Posted by Gary999 View Post
My wife would get off watching our dog shit or even piss on the boat.
What do you think that tells you how she feels about your spending all that time on the boat?
SSN651 is online now  
Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 AM
  #165  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,048
Default

All of the above being said...can anyone here please explain to me the massive popularity of sea salt?
flcatcher1 is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM
  #166  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: 42°
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by flcatcher1 View Post
All of the above being said...can anyone here please explain to me the massive popularity of sea salt?
why margaritas lives matter too
Poorbastard is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:42 AM
  #167  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 605
Default

I'm doing it right now, in my bathroom.
whorrall is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
  #168  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by Gary999 View Post
My wife would get off watching our dog shit or even piss on the boat.
I saw a website devoted to that once.
whorrall is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM
  #169  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 687
Default

so long as no one shats in your hat
Coronao is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
  #170  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 537
Default

This is funny as sh*t. Haven’t laughed that hard in a while. Thanks for posting Greg.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 AM
  #171  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mobile, Al.
Posts: 2,143
Default

Originally Posted by Sharpest View Post
During the landfall of hurricane Harvey my dumbass dog didn't piss or shit for over 24 hours. She's a black mouth cur mutt and HATES water so she will not go out to do her business when its raining. It rained a lot during the hurricane so this was the first opportunity she had to drop trou after it passed. Her mean-mug cracked me up.

Name:  hUH1jCF.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  491.4 KB
Our dog is the exact same way.. If it's raining hard, no go for her.. LOL...
macabear is online now  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM
  #172  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default

Damn , talk about shitting where you eat ! I guess if you are 10 miles out in the Ocean it may not make much difference but otherwise bring a fkng bucket with your worthless ass.
Maybe Fish and animals may do it but they do not carry the kinds of disease and sickness that Humans do .

Last edited by darkhorse61; 02-24-2019 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling
darkhorse61 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:45 AM
  #173  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: I live in Brevard County, Fl. off of Sykes Creek
Posts: 36
Default

I keep a portable urinal like you get at a hospital. Pee, flush at home and clean the urinal. It goes back into the boat for the next trip. I bought another for the car, assuming my bladder will not make it to the next rest area.

I don't pee off the sides because the pee stains the FBG. Sun will eventually bleach out what is left after washing. Poo? We have a bucket and kitchen trash bags but never needed.
Its just me is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:29 PM
  #174  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by Polapea View Post
Your house goes to a sewage treatment plant or a septic field. It doesn t go directly into the water.
Originally Posted by mshugg View Post
E Coli, present in human feces, not in fish.
This is the only real issue with dropping a turd in the water. It's perfectly safe for the environment - all other animals do it. The problem is our poop contains a lot of bacteria and diseases which can get other people sick, and water is one of the quickest ways to spread those diseases (e.g. Cholera). So we treat sewage before releasing it not to protect the environment, but to protect other people. Likewise, we restrict dumping of untreated waste in the water unless you're far enough offshore that any diseases it contains is unlikely to spread to other people.

There's little or no risk to other animals since they almost universally can't get the same diseases we do. And likewise we almost universally can't get diseases from them and their poop, so it's not a big deal for us. There are a few exceptions. e.g. Some parasites can jump species (though it's usually the end of their life cycle if they make it into the wrong host)., The annual flu usually comes from pigs or birds, after it mutates into a strain which can infect people. That's why you might hear a strain referred to as a bird flu or swine flu. Armadillos can get leprosy like humans. The current theory is that Ebola jumps from monkeys to humans. etc. But for the most part, people can't get diseases from animals, and animals can't get diseases from people.
Solandri is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 05:59 PM
  #175  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Default popping a poo in the blue

If a river, estuary or marina, is tidal, has current or water movement of some kind - should be fine.

Remember, they have been shitting in the canals of Europe -- for hundreds of years ---
gbmacca is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
  #176  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 73
Default Close, but no cigar (pun intended)

Originally Posted by Solandri View Post
This is the only real issue with dropping a turd in the water. It's perfectly safe for the environment - all other animals do it. The problem is our poop contains a lot of bacteria and diseases which can get other people sick, and water is one of the quickest ways to spread those diseases (e.g. Cholera). So we treat sewage before releasing it not to protect the environment, but to protect other people. Likewise, we restrict dumping of untreated waste in the water unless you're far enough offshore that any diseases it contains is unlikely to spread to other people.

There's little or no risk to other animals since they almost universally can't get the same diseases we do. And likewise we almost universally can't get diseases from them and their poop, so it's not a big deal for us. There are a few exceptions. e.g. Some parasites can jump species (though it's usually the end of their life cycle if they make it into the wrong host)., The annual flu usually comes from pigs or birds, after it mutates into a strain which can infect people. That's why you might hear a strain referred to as a bird flu or swine flu. Armadillos can get leprosy like humans. The current theory is that Ebola jumps from monkeys to humans.
etc. But for the most part, people can't get diseases from animals, and animals can't get diseases from people.
On a boat, when you gotta go you gotta go. When I can't hold it, what goes on "in the head" stays between me and the head.

We might not make fish sick, (though we might make folks that eat those (shell)fish sick) and offshore discharge is not much problem. But to be clear, in general there are many diseases that can be passed between animals and people...just google "zoonotic" and "reverse-zoonotic" diseases for a list. From Strep throat to Giardia to Salmonella to E coli to cryptosporidia to TB, humans and animals can pass diseases back and forth through direct contact, airborne or food or waterborne transmission or even intermediate living hosts.

Fortunately, most of the recreational boating discharge problems in this country are not issues offshore, but inland and in estuaries they can be a big deal.
Improper treatment of on-land sewage and industrial/agricultural runoff is a much bigger deal IMO. (Just 'cause other animals do it doesn't mean it's not a problem; think about hog farms and cattle runoff.)





Beasdoc is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 09:25 PM
  #177  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 872
Default

There are also plenty of other things in human waste that are not pathogens but still affect the environment. For instance, the ammonia in the urine of snorkelers affects the reefs they snorkel on (e.g. see Florida). There are excess drugs, hormones, and vitamins that are excreted by humans that can affect the environment they are deposited in.

I'm sure that for most of recorded history, human waste was not any worse than any other animal waste as far as contamination potential for the environment. However, with our modern lifestyle, that is no longer the case.

And all those canals in Europe mentioned above, they may have been sewers, but they weren't the source of the local drinking water either. There are many places in this world today where the local water is not fit for human consumption. Some of this is because of industrial pollution, but just as often it is because of human or animal waste in the water supply.

Last edited by ssobol2533@aol.com; 02-24-2019 at 09:35 PM.
ssobol2533@aol.com is online now  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:00 AM
  #178  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 839
Default

Originally Posted by gbmacca View Post
If a river, estuary or marina, is tidal, has current or water movement of some kind - should be fine.

Remember, they have been shitting in the canals of Europe -- for hundreds of years ---
And look what happened- The area became infested with Europeans.
Chimpo is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
  #179  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 43
Default

Really?
casaleenie is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 11:50 AM
  #180  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by Its just me View Post
I keep a portable urinal like you get at a hospital. Pee, flush at home and clean the urinal. It goes back into the boat for the next trip. I bought another for the car, assuming my bladder will not make it to the next rest area.

I don't pee off the sides because the pee stains the FBG. Sun will eventually bleach out what is left after washing. Poo? We have a bucket and kitchen trash bags but never needed.
I guess some people are natural born politicians because they think if they are upstream shitting in the water and you and or your children are downstream swimming and fishing of using personal watercraft of some kind that it's just fine because the shit YOU created is not a problem for you , just everyone downstream .
the quote I meant to include was the one saying that it's alright to shit in the water up stream from others as long as there is a currant so it does not foul the area that YOU are in.
darkhorse61 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread