Notices
The Boating Forum

Boat Theft - Tied to Dock

Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Boat Theft - Tied to Dock

Thanks, everyone in advance for their input. Besides the obvious, taking the key from the ignition, how does someone protect their boat when tied up to a public dock (i.e. stop for lunch, visit a park, etc.). What stops people from removing the dock line from cleats and stealing / towing a boat behind another boat?

Popular Reply

02-18-2019, 04:08 PM
White Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southold, New York
Posts: 666
Likes: 0
Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Name:  2a9182a.jpg
Views: 3296
Size:  39.0 KB
Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South LA
Posts: 890
Received 184 Likes on 92 Posts
Default

Take your keys with you?
Don't have the best looking boat at the dock?

Somehow, people just don't take boats from docks (yet.) Maybe they're too hard to hide?

Relax and go enjoy your burger.
Likes:
alligatorgar, BOSBoatMan, Molanabe, Sixstring, Tainui, WeeKilt, williamwallus and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:52 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denver, CO / Hobe Sound, FL
Posts: 969
Received 200 Likes on 112 Posts
Default

Pay your insurance premium, battery switches off, pull the keys, and go enjoy your burger.
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 03:59 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 862
Received 379 Likes on 221 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
Pay your insurance premium, battery switches off, pull the keys, and go enjoy your burger.
This
And try to get a table with a view of your boat
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Southold, New York
Posts: 666
Likes: 0
Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Attachment 1095940
Likes:
2labdad, Anyhoo, Bayfly, Blue Fury, Brad1, BUZZMAN4177, Deebuah, FishLife, GoneNdoneit, heyspike, jtrip, Realdeep, RedOak, Sprockets and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:11 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 11,777
Received 379 Likes on 292 Posts
Default

We stopped at Nashville, TN, on the Cumberland River last Sept.. The public dock is in full view of a pedestrian bridge. There are different codes to get on and get off the dock, and these codes are changed periodically. The Fire boat and Police boats, both had chain and cable from their cleats to the dock cleats.

We have done a lot of cruising--both coasts of the US, Caribbean, Med, Baltic, S. Pacific, etc. We secure a vinyl covered cable from an eye bolt thru the transom (head peened over) thru the bow eye, to some part of structure on the dock for our dinghy. Length of the cable is equal to the length of the boat, plus 8 more feet. 10' dinghy--18' cable. (allows other boats to crowd in, and push your boat out. We use the simple bow painter also. In many foreign countries we brought the dinghy aboard, or at least up in davits at night.

We had a brand new inflatable stolen in S. Boston Harbor in 1983. I had not put the eye bolt in yet--and cable just thru the bow eye. Whoever (probably Green Peace) took the inflatable did it from the water, between 5 AM and 6 AM when the wind was blowing about 20 knots. (I was getting up every hour to check the anchor).

We do carry such a cable with our dinghy (and could be used for the larger boat). I have heard of kids casting off lines (or even cutting anchor lines) at public docks (and moorages).

In larger boats, normally we leave the dog in the cabin, doors locked, and take ignition key--also may turn off main battery switch. If someone wants to steal your boat--they will. Center console--just take the key and we have a "key" switch for the battery, which is turned off.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,867
Received 1,264 Likes on 797 Posts
Default

GPS trackers are pretty cheap these days. Even ones with remote monitoring so that you can hear what is being said. Just need to be confident that the LEO's will listen when you call.
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 915
Likes: 0
Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

On the opposite side of this, I have a few times hoped mine would be stolen when tied up.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:34 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 245
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Default

My first mate was my dog for years, but I would never lock her in the cabin, god forbid something happened, id hope someone would let her out.
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 04:47 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Booby traps. Hidden razor blade under the shifter, loaded spear gun pointing for the head when the battery is turned on, and my personal favorite IED’s.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:51 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: marblehead
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Siren Marine, get it.
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 05:15 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the honest people honest. Try a plastic coated bicycle chain

<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by hawgstalkers View Post
Thanks, everyone in advance for their input. Besides the obvious, taking the key from the ignition, how does someone protect their boat when tied up to a public dock (i.e. stop for lunch, visit a park, etc.). What stops people from removing the dock line from cleats and stealing / towing a boat behind another boat?
<br /><br /></div>
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,235
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Brokenline View Post

Somehow, people just don't take boats from docks (yet.) Maybe they're too hard to hide?
Sure they do

My dock neighbor had his 500k brand new boat taken for a joy ride

He left his keys on-board

Someone hopped on, pushed the engine start buttons, and away they went

Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,928
Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts
Default

Lock the pilothouse deadbolt?
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 05:23 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15,235
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hawgstalkers View Post
Thanks, everyone in advance for their input. Besides the obvious, taking the key from the ignition, how does someone protect their boat when tied up to a public dock (i.e. stop for lunch, visit a park, etc.). What stops people from removing the dock line from cleats and stealing / towing a boat behind another boat?
Many threads on boat security if you search

I would not worry too much but on my new yacht I have nest cams and can see everything real time, get alerts when a person is spotted.

I lock the doors when unattended and my k-9 is not on-board

There have actually been past threads about THT'ers experiencing some asshole untying their boat and setting it adrift

I would say a steel cable and lock would be more than enough if you are paranoid, someone is not going to undo a cleat (not that easy if installed correctly!)

There are also many products that can send you an alert if your boat leaves a geofence
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: ditch, boynton
Posts: 618
Received 564 Likes on 252 Posts
Default

Having a beater has worked well for me.
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 12,724
Received 8,578 Likes on 4,555 Posts
Default

Leave the keys in the glove box on mine if folks (kids) are hanging out on the dock. In the ignition if not. More worried about someone stealing my beer or yeti cooler than my boat. Damn thing is worth a lot more stolen (agreed replacement/rigged value) than on Craigslist (likely sale price).
Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Boca Raton FL
Posts: 211
Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fissues View Post
Siren Marine, get it.

Agreed! People seem to like this over the GHOST
Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 680
Likes: 0
Received 251 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

Put a Club on the steering wheel!
Likes:
Old 02-18-2019, 06:36 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
WeeKilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC/SC
Posts: 357
Received 1,421 Likes on 689 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thataway View Post
We stopped at Nashville, TN, on the Cumberland River last Sept.. The public dock is in full view of a pedestrian bridge. There are different codes to get on and get off the dock, and these codes are changed periodically. The Fire boat and Police boats, both had chain and cable from their cleats to the dock cleats.

We have done a lot of cruising--both coasts of the US, Caribbean, Med, Baltic, S. Pacific, etc. We secure a vinyl covered cable from an eye bolt thru the transom (head peened over) thru the bow eye, to some part of structure on the dock for our dinghy. Length of the cable is equal to the length of the boat, plus 8 more feet. 10' dinghy--18' cable. (allows other boats to crowd in, and push your boat out. We use the simple bow painter also. In many foreign countries we brought the dinghy aboard, or at least up in davits at night.

We had a brand new inflatable stolen in S. Boston Harbor in 1983. I had not put the eye bolt in yet--and cable just thru the bow eye. Whoever (probably Green Peace) took the inflatable did it from the water, between 5 AM and 6 AM when the wind was blowing about 20 knots. (I was getting up every hour to check the anchor).

We do carry such a cable with our dinghy (and could be used for the larger boat). I have heard of kids casting off lines (or even cutting anchor lines) at public docks (and moorages).

In larger boats, normally we leave the dog in the cabin, doors locked, and take ignition key--also may turn off main battery switch. If someone wants to steal your boat--they will. Center console--just take the key and we have a "key" switch for the battery, which is turned off.
Maybe it’s just me but I started reading this post with the expectation their boat was actually stolen. Soooo disappointing. 😉👍

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.