Notices
Like Tree4Likes

60hp outboard suggestions

Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default 60hp outboard suggestions

So let's say service is not a problem with any make or model. I want to buy new as well.

I've narrowed it down to

Suzuki
Mercury
Tohatsu

They all have pretty similar specs. What would be your reason to choose one over the other?
ECU_Pirate is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,789
Default

At 60hp, Tohatsu - they're just bringing out a new 60 which is similar to their rather nice 40 and 50 rather than the Honda rebadge.
Clinker is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
fireisland1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,973
Default

I have a 60 Bigfoot. It has been totally reliable for 8 years. I think it’s made by Tohatsu. I’n Sure a Zuki would be just as good
fireisland1 is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,066
Default

I think you'd be happy with any of the three. Really only comes down to price and local service.
Lookinup76 is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by Clinker View Post
At 60hp, Tohatsu - they're just bringing out a new 60 which is similar to their rather nice 40 and 50 rather than the Honda rebadge.
Is it on their site?
ECU_Pirate is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 294
Default

You must have your reasons for omitting Yamaha.From my point of view having owned 4 T60 (High Thrust models) that push a 50' catamaran loaded with 24 tourist on a daily basis in salt water( in short a brutal life),i'd say they are pretty darn good engines or at least i feel i got my money's worth.Having said that i think all the brands are pretty good these days.
sailingman is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,057
Default

Originally Posted by ECU_Pirate View Post
So let's say service is not a problem with any make or model. I want to buy new as well.

I've narrowed it down to

Suzuki
Mercury
Tohatsu

They all have pretty similar specs. What would be your reason to choose one over the other?
Service being equal on all listed, then price and warranty.
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 4,715
Default

There’s only one right choice in that list.
HTJ and 4reelzz like this.
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:09 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by sailingman View Post
You must have your reasons for omitting Yamaha.From my point of view having owned 4 T60 (High Thrust models) that push a 50' catamaran loaded with 24 tourist on a daily basis in salt water( in short a brutal life),i'd say they are pretty darn good engines or at least i feel i got my money's worth.Having said that i think all the brands are pretty good these days.
Because the 60 is just the 70 detuned. Im not gonna pay more for that. The others on the list are true 60's. Yamahas are great, but their 50-70hp engines are all the same engine. If I wanted a 70 I would strongly consider them .
ECU_Pirate is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,057
Default

Originally Posted by ECU_Pirate View Post
Because the 60 is just the 70 detuned. Im not gonna pay more for that. The others on the list are true 60's. Yamahas are great, but their 50-70hp engines are all the same engine. If I wanted a 70 I would strongly consider them .
Actually the F70LA stands on it's own, the F50-F60 model share everything, only common thing is bore and stroke between the three, almost all other parameters are different between the F70LA and the F50-F60LA.
- Compression ratio.
- Gear ratio.
- Weight.
- Valves.
Going on list pricing the F70LA is $9360. the F60LA is $8695.
Obviously they can be bought for less.

Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default

They are the same engine just set up differently. You might as well get the 70 at those price points. I think a 70 will be too much or else i would definitely look harder at the Yamaha. the Suzuki really intrigues me with its light weight. Ive only heard good things about it as well.
ECU_Pirate is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,054
Default

I had a Merc 60 Big Foot EFI for 3048 hours over 10 years and I have nothing bad to say about it. Mine was a Wisconsin motor, now they are made in China but it is the same motor. I have an F70 now (Yamaha) and I will say they are virtually identical in performance on the same boat.They are also very similar power heads, using the same basic Yamaha design and specs but everything else is different. I have seen test reports that said the Merc 60 was really more than 60 and the F70 was less than 70 and that would confirm my experience.
Suzuki comes with a weight penalty and I don't know much about Tohatsu except it is not the same as the Merc.
gfretwell is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,926
Default

Originally Posted by ECU_Pirate View Post
They are the same engine just set up differently. You might as well get the 70 at those price points. I think a 70 will be too much or else i would definitely look harder at the Yamaha. the Suzuki really intrigues me with its light weight. Ive only heard good things about it as well.
Well differently must mean different things to different people.

Here is a partial list of what they don't have in common:
Pistons
Block
Cylinder head
Valves
Intake manifold
Throttle body
Compression ratio
Engine control unit
Cam shaft
Power trim and tilt unit
Lower unit

Other than that they are the exact same motor. Just set up differently.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,926
Default

Originally Posted by Parker Yacht View Post
Actually the F70LA stands on it's own, the F50-F60 model share everything, only common thing is bore and stroke between the three, almost all other parameters are different between the F70LA and the F50-F60LA.
- Compression ratio.
- Gear ratio.
- Weight.
- Valves.
Going on list pricing the F70LA is $9360. the F60LA is $8695.
Obviously they can be bought for less.
Don't forget what website this is.

The Hull Truth. No similarity to The Truth, The Whole Truth, The Real Truth.

Alternative facts do matter.
Fordy and pstephens46 like this.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location:
Posts: 18
Default

I to am interested in this post as I would like to repower my boat with a 60, Basspro quoted me a good price on a Merc 60 CT.
boatinpete is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SoTex
Posts: 647
Default

What is it going on?
RJTaylor is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default

seaark 1660 mvt
ECU_Pirate is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:30 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 294
Default

I will second the Yamaha F50-60 are similar engines but for the ECU and air restriction.The F70 is a different animal very few parts from the 50-60 will fit if any.
sailingman is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,057
Default

Originally Posted by sailingman View Post
I will second the Yamaha F50-60 are similar engines but for the ECU and air restriction.The F70 is a different animal very few parts from the 50-60 will fit if any.
Gearcases are different also.
F50-F60 are 3.5"
The F70 is 4.25".
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 370
Default

I stand corrected then.
ECU_Pirate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread