Notices
Like Tree9Likes

Steering wheel won't budge

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,177
Default Steering wheel won't budge

My helm was leaking oil so I needed to get it off to replace the seal, easy job, right? Searched the site for tips and most said if you put little pressure on it and tap the shaft it should pop right off. NOT!! Ok, so mine may be a little more stuck. Hit it with PB blaster and wait,( hrs not min ) nothing. Go to auto zone and get a wheel puller, I tighten this down hard. More PB, nothing. Tap the puller with all that pressure on it, nothing! Alright, time to bring the heat! I fire up the torch and heat away, still nothing. I've been doing this for 3 days now and I'm at wits end! Any suggestions??





mikee332 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: skittleville fl
Posts: 8,180
Default

Tighten it more and whack it harder.
mitchell master is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,177
Default

I'm already tightening so hard the puller shaft is boring into the wheel shaft, you can see it in one of the pictures. I'm also hitting it pretty hard.
mikee332 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,865
Default

Keep the puller tight and squirt it down everyday and give it a wack with the puller on. It will pop at some point.
Cobia 217 likes this.
fishingfun is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,880
Default

PB, tighten, tap. Be patient.
Cobia 217 likes this.
Gary999 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sienna Plantation, TX.
Posts: 1,887
Default

That's a tough one. IIRC, it's just a tapered fitting, there may be a key. It should be stainless to stainless, so I don't think you have a molecular bonding issue. Is there a way you can get under it and try prying?
popeyeiii is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 675
Default

Is it possible that it's screwed on? I wouldn't think so but I don't see enough clearance between the threads and the bore off the wheel from the pictures for it to just slide over them. If it were threaded on, there should be some wrench flats on the back side or some way to lock the shaft from turning. Again, doubt that it is but just throwing out an idea.
Lunchmoney is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM
  #8  
565
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 48
Default

I had the same problem. Tried the same thing you are doing now. I failed to get it off. Took it to a shop. He failed to get it off initially with the same method and then he had to use some sort large machine press to get it out.

565 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:17 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA
Posts: 1,371
Default

Is that an aluminum hub with stainless steel wrapped around it ?
finbox is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 4,509
Default

You can try bolt removing freeze spray/ heat/freeze spray/heat ...........
barrell is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,177
Default

Originally Posted by fishingfun View Post
Keep the puller tight and squirt it down everyday and give it a wack with the puller on. It will pop at some point.
Been doing this for 3 days, I hope you're right.

Originally Posted by Gary999 View Post
PB, tighten, tap. Be patient.
I'm trying to be

Originally Posted by popeyeiii View Post
That's a tough one. IIRC, it's just a tapered fitting, there may be a key. It should be stainless to stainless, so I don't think you have a molecular bonding issue. Is there a way you can get under it and try prying?
No way to get under, the puller just fits.

Originally Posted by Lunchmoney View Post
Is it possible that it's screwed on? I wouldn't think so but I don't see enough clearance between the threads and the bore off the wheel from the pictures for it to just slide over them. If it were threaded on, there should be some wrench flats on the back side or some way to lock the shaft from turning. Again, doubt that it is but just throwing out an idea.
I thought maybe it was screwed on also, but there is a key in there so not screwed on.
mikee332 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,865
Default

Try giving it some heat and then blast it it with Pb.
fishingfun is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 499
Default

Blaster, patience, heat, puller, BFH !
Perf40 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 49
Default

Patients is key.....cost less than a new helm as well. You may have to cut the wheel off at some point, also cheaper than a new helm. Only thing I can think of not mentioned here is a mixed fluid....I have heard using ATF mixed with penetrating fluid (WD40 or PB) and acetone. Supposedly this penetrates and breaks apart crud....I've never used it but if you are getting to your wits end maybe look it up and see if this will help get in there?
HughJazz is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:42 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,177
Default

Originally Posted by Perf40 View Post
Blaster, patience, heat, puller, BFH !
Been doing this
Originally Posted by HughJazz View Post
Patients is key.....cost less than a new helm as well. You may have to cut the wheel off at some point, also cheaper than a new helm. Only thing I can think of not mentioned here is a mixed fluid....I have heard using ATF mixed with penetrating fluid (WD40 or PB) and acetone. Supposedly this penetrates and breaks apart crud....I've never used it but if you are getting to your wits end maybe look it up and see if this will help get in there?
I've had good success with PB in the past but damn!! this one is tough. I have read about the mixed fluid
Originally Posted by fishingfun View Post
Try giving it some heat and then blast it it with Pb.
Been doing this as well
mikee332 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:00 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Perdido Key
Posts: 72
Default

I had the same problem before. I used a puller, sprayed with Aerokroil, tighten, repeat for a couple of days with no luck. I let it sit, went back and used my cordless impact and it popped right off.
Capt. BDM is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:32 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 54
Default Just pulled mine, same problem

Would advise you not pound on it, that may well damage your helm. Same rationale, do not pry, if seastar helm is Aluminum and could crack. Take original nylock nut and thread it back on a few turns, that will protect threads from any misadventure. Get some CRC Freeze Off, Lowe's, HD etc. Put puller back on, use bungee to keep jaws in place, lay down some rags to catch excess freeze off. Get your impact tool either air or electric as advised above. This will deliver radial impact, not up and down and will not damage helm. Spay rear and front of hub, per can instructions 15 seconds each, repeat. Now the impact driver. Unlike your flywheel which must not have any antisieze or grease applied, the steering wheel hub is meant to be lubed, so don't forget that post repair. Also nut is not gorilla'd on, my specs (seastar) were for 50 INCH POUNDS.
Lamer is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: satellite beach, fla
Posts: 1,072
Default

Or you could unbolt the helm from the back and send the whole thing to boatsteer.com in Tampa and let them take care of it.
jbg108 likes this.
satbeachbill is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southeast Alaska
Posts: 5,793
Default

That steering wheel is worth less than $150... What's your time worth, cut the damn thing off. One cut through that aluminum hub and it will come off, maybe you haven't destroyed the helm yet.
Gerald
I'm sorry, I just went back and looked and your wheel has been nicely accessorized yielding it worth the fair amount more...
commuter boats is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,865
Default

Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
Or you could unbolt the helm from the back and send the whole thing to boatsteer.com in Tampa and let them take care of it.
One way or the other you still have to get the unit through the hole if the steering wheel is still attached.
fishingfun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread