Notices
Like Tree22Likes

Suzuki issues

Old 02-04-2019, 05:50 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,163
Default

Originally Posted by Saltgod View Post
They are claiming that if the rep comes out hes going to find this "evidence" that the boat was sunk. And deny all warranty claims. Even though they just did all the warranty work to replace the seal a week ago. Basically making it seems like they did me a favor the first time. If it had been sunk I think within the last 60 hours of runtime some other issues would have shown up by now.
That is probably exactly what happened.

The first repair was probably a good will repair. Unbeknownst to you. One time free ride.

Second time around most manufacturers stop giving out good will.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,253
Default

Originally Posted by Saltgod View Post
Ive got worse suzuki dealers local i travel to this one because its supposedly the best one within 2 hours of me. I had a small leak coming from the crank seal. They said they noticed a few really small spots of rust under the flywheel. They said that it looks like the back of the boat had been sunk before. Im the second owner. They took pictures and did the job. I got the boat back friday. Took it to the lake Sunday and its got oil all over it and leaking down engine. I drop ot off today and am told the crank was "rusted and had pitting" so suzuki might not cover it this time. Which is why im looking for support from zuke. Why would a bad crank be put back into the outboard. Zuke called them asking about the work and the dealer called me back and said if a TSM gets involved it wont be covered because the back of the boat had been sunk.
How do they know the back of the boat had been sunk? What factual evidence is there?

Where is the leaking oil coming from? Sure its not from simply overfilling? What was the oil level when you checked before you ran it that day?

So the dealer said they "might not" cover it? So wait for them to get a pre-approval answer and if its not covered then deal with it? Right now it seems they are trying to get it covered?

Did you ever ask the prior owner if it had sunk or had any issues? If so, in writing? If you forgot to ask before buying can you ask now?

Last edited by mystery; 02-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.
mystery is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 06:44 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Key Largo
Posts: 1,110
Default

Originally Posted by Egis View Post


who’s is it? Are you supost to wipe of your crank shaft after every use?
I agree....How in the hell is it the customers fault that a crankshaft where the seal rides on becomes corroded?
homeby51 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:03 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,163
Default

I am not inferring in any way that the OP or the previous owner of the motor is in any way at fault.

Sometimes, sh1t in life simply happens. A meteor falls out of the sky and damages a motor. Not the motor makers fault. Not the boat makers fault. Not the owner's fault. It is no ones fault.

Unfortunately, if the motor is to be repaired it falls on the back of the owner.

What I am saying is that under the Suzuki warranty corrosion is not covered. In fact, it is specifically excluded.

alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mass
Posts: 2,111
Default

Originally Posted by Saltgod View Post
They are claiming that if the rep comes out hes going to find this "evidence" that the boat was sunk. And deny all warranty claims. Even though they just did all the warranty work to replace the seal a week ago. Basically making it seems like they did me a favor the first time. If it had been sunk I think within the last 60 hours of runtime some other issues would have shown up by now.
call them out on it. If the boat wasnt sunk or swamped you've got nothing to hide. Get the rep out there then when he "ok's" the repairs tell him you'd like to go to another authorized repair facility .

being pushy sucks, but getting dicked around sucks way worse. I'm not at all a pushy person but as soon as I smell any type of b.s. unfortunately its gloves off. Get a rep out asap

btw my claim was for a powerhead @140 hrs, 2 yrs old, multiple misdiagnosis. The dealer was saying " are you sure you want us to scan the ecm? " as if I'd done something wrong..... about 95% of the hrs were under 4400 rpm.

rep came out " ok'd " a tear down, then came back and " ok'd" a powerhead.
TimC2520 likes this.

Last edited by scarab63; 02-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.
scarab63 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Key Largo
Posts: 1,110
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
I am not inferring in any way that the OP or the previous owner of the motor is in any way at fault.

Sometimes, sh1t in life simply happens. A meteor falls out of the sky and damages a motor. Not the motor makers fault. Not the boat makers fault. Not the owner's fault. It is no ones fault.

Unfortunately, if the motor is to be repaired it falls on the back of the owner.

What I am saying is that under the Suzuki warranty corrosion is not covered. In fact, it is specifically excluded.
How do you come to that conclusion that corrosion is specifically excluded? It says "corrosion caused by lack of maintenance, storage or exposure to salt water"? How does crankshaft corrosion fall under this?
seaclip likes this.
homeby51 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,108
Default

Before you get any help, you need to stick to facts only, post #18 you said they took pictures, post #28 you say they took no pictures, you said it blew, then you said it leaks oil, you said it was sunk, then you say it wasn't, no one is trying to put you down, but, unless you stick to facts, you will get nowhere.
noelm is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,108
Default

Originally Posted by freebooter View Post
They do speak and read English in NSW Australia...........right?

So Suzukis' have issues also! It is OK!

Hope you get everything fixed and back on the water soon!
I guess you can read and comprehend what you read? The dispute is not that he has an issue, the problem is the dealer trying to side step it, and it appears the owner changing details now and then doesn't help explaining what is going on, you don't come to a public forum looking for sympathy is the entire story is told stating facts.
noelm is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:30 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Key Largo
Posts: 1,110
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Before you get any help, you need to stick to facts only, post #18 you said they took pictures, post #28 you say they took no pictures, you said it blew, then you said it leaks oil, you said it was sunk, then you say it wasn't, no one is trying to put you down, but, unless you stick to facts, you will get nowhere.
Why do you keep jumping on this guy? If you actually read his posts...it's pretty clear. Who cares he used the the word "blew" and "leaks". It's clear from his description that we know what he means. All except you. that is. Also...I think it's pretty clear that on post 18 they took pictures of the first repair and on post 28 they didn't take pictures the second time.....no?
homeby51 is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,163
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
I guess you can read and comprehend what you read? The dispute is not that he has an issue, the problem is the dealer trying to side step it, and it appears the owner changing details now and then doesn't help explaining what is going on, you don't come to a public forum looking for sympathy is the entire story is told stating facts.
I have not read anything that leads me to believe the dealer is side stepping anything. Dealer simply reported to the OP that Suzuki says the damage is not covered by warranty.

The issue as I see it is that OP is having a difficult time getting in contact with Suzuki to verify what the dealer told him. Probably to argue with Suzuki. Suzuki apparently does not deal directly with customers. Can't say that I blame them. Customers don't want the truth. Customers can't handle the truth.

Why would the dealer not be telling the truth? If Suzuki would cover the repair the dealer would have no reason not to do it. If Suzuki does not cover the repair it is on the back of the owner. Seems this is what the dealer is telling him.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:42 PM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 4,108
Default

No! to get any satisfaction you need to stick to cold hard facts, not innuendo, cryptic writing and so on, all that does is cloud the problem, I have been involved in similar situations many times, and without facts, and truth, it goes nowhere, add to that the possibility the dealer might not be completely up front, it becomes a delicate issue. It's easy to just say "poor you" and let it go, the brand doesn't matter one bit.
noelm is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,946
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post
No! to get any satisfaction you need to stick to cold hard facts, not innuendo, cryptic writing and so on, all that does is cloud the problem, I have been involved in similar situations many times, and without facts, and truth, it goes nowhere, add to that the possibility the dealer might not be completely up front, it becomes a delicate issue. It's easy to just say "poor you" and let it go, the brand doesn't matter one bit.
If you reread his posts he never said it was sunk, he said the dealer claimed it was. Dick much?
smccormick is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 PM
  #53  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
I have not read anything that leads me to believe the dealer is side stepping anything. Dealer simply reported to the OP that Suzuki says the damage is not covered by warranty.
They're implying that the motor was sunk, which it clearly was not or it would not be running. I don't see that any of the circumstances you outlined apply unless he'd opened up the crankcase himself, the crank wasn't exposed to any of the factors they list as denying warranty for corrosion. If it's got corrosion it was put in that way or it's because their seal, which is covered under warranty, leaked and let salt water in. A crankshaft that's been bathed in oil can sit for 50 years and not corrode, plenty of vehicles that have been sitting in barns run after pouring in some fresh gas and a shot of ether.

The dealer took no pictures of the supposed rust and didn't bring it up to the customer when they replaced the seal. Now after their new seal installation fails they suddenly remember there was rust on the crankshaft and they're saying he sunk the motor and that caused it, that's BS. They did an improper installation and it failed, they need to fix it. If it truly was rust on the crankshaft then they should have told him it wasn't repairable the first time, but they didn't.

He's right, he's getting the runaround.
seaclip likes this.
GaryCrow is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM
  #54  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 116
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
How do they know the back of the boat had been sunk? What factual evidence is there?

Where is the leaking oil coming from? Sure its not from simply overfilling? What was the oil level when you checked before you ran it that day?

So the dealer said they "might not" cover it? So weight for them to get a pre-approval answer and if its not covered then deal with it? Right now it seems they are trying to get it covered?

I'm not sure how they claim to know the back of the boat was sunk. I didn't sink and I see know indications it was sunk. The oil is leaking through the crank seal and flywheel is slinging it all over the engine. Not overfilled.
Yes they said they might not. But the way he was talking made it seem like they were going to use that it "sunk" as a way to get out of it. I'm not saying for sure that they wont. I'm just trying to get some info in case they do. I cant get in touch with prior owner.

Did you ever ask the prior owner if it had sunk or had any issues? If so, in writing? If you forgot to ask before buying can you ask now?
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Before you get any help, you need to stick to facts only, post #18 you said they took pictures, post #28 you say they took no pictures, you said it blew, then you said it leaks oil, you said it was sunk, then you say it wasn't, no one is trying to put you down, but, unless you stick to facts, you will get nowhere.
They took the top cover off and the flywheel and took pictures of the crank seal area and the around it when dropped it off around new years. They did not take pictures during the tear down of the block. Which if they found a rusted pitted crank I would think that they would have done that. Leak/Blew if you look at the pictures I posted it is coming out of the crank seal area at a fast rate. I never said it was sunk. They are claiming it could have been sunk hence the rust on the crank.

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
I have not read anything that leads me to believe the dealer is side stepping anything. Dealer simply reported to the OP that Suzuki says the damage is not covered by warranty.

The issue as I see it is that OP is having a difficult time getting in contact with Suzuki to verify what the dealer told him. Probably to argue with Suzuki. Suzuki apparently does not deal directly with customers. Can't say that I blame them. Customers don't want the truth. Customers can't handle the truth.

Why would the dealer not be telling the truth? If Suzuki would cover the repair the dealer would have no reason not to do it. If Suzuki does not cover the repair it is on the back of the owner. Seems this is what the dealer is telling him.
The dealer has yet to report anything to suzuki. being that I dropped it off this morning. I called the 1800 number to talk to a tech advisor just see what effects to look for in a sunk engine or how could a crank get rust and begin to pit. I gave them the ID # and what dealer the boat is at. He said he cant let me talk to anyone in tech that the dealer would have to set it up. Then my dealer called me and said that they know I called Suzuki that if I pushed for a TSM to come out they he would determine that the engine was sunk and void all further warranty work that I shouldn't push for that. I'm not a boat expert but I'm not a mechanical idiot either. IF the outboard had sunk along with the back half of the boat I would think I would have seen some sort of damage on the inside of the boat itself or other major problems with the outboard but I haven't. It runs great. Even just in the one picture I posted would the bolts be rusted? Any kind of corrosion Damage? It all looks clean to me.
Saltgod is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 PM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 116
Default

Originally Posted by GaryCrow View Post
They're implying that the motor was sunk, which it clearly was not or it would not be running. I don't see that any of the circumstances you outlined apply unless he'd opened up the crankcase himself, the crank wasn't exposed to any of the factors they list as denying warranty for corrosion. If it's got corrosion it was put in that way or it's because their seal, which is covered under warranty, leaked and let salt water in. A crankshaft that's been bathed in oil can sit for 50 years and not corrode, plenty of vehicles that have been sitting in barns run after pouring in some fresh gas and a shot of ether.

The dealer took no pictures of the supposed rust and didn't bring it up to the customer when they replaced the seal. Now after their new seal installation fails they suddenly remember there was rust on the crankshaft and they're saying he sunk the motor and that caused it, that's BS. They did an improper installation and it failed, they need to fix it. If it truly was rust on the crankshaft then they should have told him it wasn't repairable the first time, but they didn't.

He's right, he's getting the runaround.
That basically sums up all of the events. Not being a marine mechanic I can figure out how a oil covered crank shaft can even rust or corrode. Or IF it was that bad why not bring it up during the tear down why it wasn't brought to my attention or Suzuki. And why they are defensive about me causing enough stink to get a rep to come look at it.
Saltgod is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:00 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,163
Default

Originally Posted by GaryCrow View Post
They're implying that the motor was sunk, which it clearly was not or it would not be running. I don't see that any of the circumstances you outlined apply unless he'd opened up the crankcase himself, the crank wasn't exposed to any of the factors they list as denying warranty for corrosion. If it's got corrosion it was put in that way or it's because their seal, which is covered under warranty, leaked and let salt water in. A crankshaft that's been bathed in oil can sit for 50 years and not corrode, plenty of vehicles that have been sitting in barns run after pouring in some fresh gas and a shot of ether.

The dealer took no pictures of the supposed rust and didn't bring it up to the customer when they replaced the seal. Now after their new seal installation fails they suddenly remember there was rust on the crankshaft and they're saying he sunk the motor and that caused it, that's BS. They did an improper installation and it failed, they need to fix it. If it truly was rust on the crankshaft then they should have told him it wasn't repairable the first time, but they didn't.

He's right, he's getting the runaround.
Do you believe that Suzuki or any engine maker would install a crank shaft with corrosion on it?

It is always the engine makers fault isn't it? Everything and anything that can be wrong, for all time, must be the fault of the engine maker.

Suzuki generally errs on the side of the customer when it comes to approving a warranty claim. Or providing good will.

I suspect that we don't have the full story as to the damage, how it occurred, or what the position of Suzuki really is.
MaseTime likes this.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:18 PM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 26
Default

Contact insurance agent > get check > repair > insurance lawyers tackle Suzuki > go fishing.
Saltgod likes this.
Motor Hand is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 PM
  #58  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 116
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Do you believe that Suzuki or any engine maker would install a crank shaft with corrosion on it?

It is always the engine makers fault isn't it? Everything and anything that can be wrong, for all time, must be the fault of the engine maker.

Suzuki generally errs on the side of the customer when it comes to approving a warranty claim. Or providing good will.

I suspect that we don't have the full story as to the damage, how it occurred, or what the position of Suzuki really is.
I'm not saying that. I'm also not marine mechanic. It just seems far fetched for a sealed crank shaft have rust and pitting. That is the full story. It has 159 hours I bought it with 100 or so. Haven't had issues until now. They do a repair without much hassle. And now the back of my boat was sunk and my crank is bad with rust and the same job that was done a week ago and has failed the exact same way is now my fault. That's my confusion and why I was looking for other opinions. Which is why I started this asking how to contact Suzuki for tech advice. Then my dealer threatening me with a TSM coming down saying if I push for it my warranty will be voided also raised some questions. Like I said the dealer hasn't taken the issue with zuke yet since I just dropped it off today.
Saltgod is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 09:30 PM
  #59  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 77
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Do you believe that Suzuki or any engine maker would install a crank shaft with corrosion on it?

It is always the engine makers fault isn't it? Everything and anything that can be wrong, for all time, must be the fault of the engine maker.
.
Generally I don't believe they'd install one with corrosion, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. Look under any new truck coming off the vehicle carrier at a car dealership, the leaf springs and axle will usually be covered in rust.

No one has even established that there is rust on the crank, it's just the dealer's word at this time which I wouldn't trust because they 1) improperly repaired it the first time and 2) seem to be taking a threatening tone with him after he called Suzuki. It seems like they don't want Suzuki poking around in it since they came up with the "sunken boat" story.

Manufacturing defects happen, that's why there's a warranty. I had a 5.9 Cummins in the shop at 4000 miles and that engine is known for extreme reliability. If a seal is going out at 159 hrs then I'd say yes, it is the manufacturer's fault.

It also sounds like Suzuki hasn't looked at it and this "sunk boat" BS is something the dealer came up with. This sounds like a case of a bad dealer, not Suzuki.
GaryCrow is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 AM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 228
Default

Can you get an independent mechanic to look at it and give you an opinion as to whether or not it appears to have been submerged?
bryan28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread