Notices
Like Tree49Likes

New Merc outboard shortage?

Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,265
Default

Saw a bass boat being towed down the street with a new 250 proxs. Looked real nice.
Elgreco809 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 143
Default

I have 2- 225's still in the crates sitting inside my toy hauler. They came in before I was ready for them, so they will have to wait till spring for install.
101donzi is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Land down under
Posts: 8,889
Default

Originally Posted by freebooter View Post
Sad..........if Yamaha would have planned better, then Mercury would not have their shortage!
Not sad for Mercury. They are happy trying to figure out how to meet an unexpected demand. A good problem to have.

Unlike other engine makers that are struggling trying to gin up demand.
alloyboy is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 823
Default

I ordered twin 225s in early October. Was told a Very loose data of April or May. Dealer called in early November and said Merc called them and asked if he still needed them which he said was normal when they are going to ship them in a few weeks but he wont believe it until they on in his shop. He even said don't be to surprised if its mid summer. My Charter season starts May 1st and if I don't get them by mid April I may not be able to get them installed until October. Glad I didn't sell my Honda's. Even thinking of going with a different brand but not sure my options for my $10,000 deposit. I keep meaning to call to get a update but afraid what he will say.
HighTechRedneck is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 09:57 AM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by Parker Yacht View Post
I shouldn't have to and don't need to explain diddly squat to you.
But, in the essence on not telling you to pound sand.
A big portion of our customer base is the large yacht tender market. The outboard powered yacht tenders come with two engine brands, Yamaha and Mercury.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^And This^^^^^^^
Damn Ole. U smart man!
illibilli is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM
  #46  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami Fl / Washington NC
Posts: 2,016
Default

Originally Posted by noelm View Post

what a strange thing to say, you lose money on every sale? let's say you lose $100 on every sale, you sell 10items you lost a grand, but up the volume to 100 sales, you just lost 10 times the amount, that's a very sound business plan if I ever saw one.
"we lose money on every sale, but make it up in volume."
If you Google it you will find out its a Joke.
However..........in manufacturing you do lose money on every part when you start production.
On the retail side, Outboard motor dealers will sell small boat builders without an OEM deal their engines at dealer net or less. The additional boat builder engine sales can bump all of the dealers engine purchases to an extra discount for the year.
Otseg is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 04:46 AM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 4,686
Default

I shouldn't have to and don't need to explain diddly squat to you.
But, in the essence on not telling you to pound sand.
A big portion of our customer base is the large yacht tender market. The outboard powered yacht tenders come with two engine brands, Yamaha and Mercury.
Sounds like I touched on a sensitive subject for you. We have a lot of local former Yamaha-only dealers who were forced to make the same choice last year and it wasn’t because of their ‘customer base’. I get it. It’s hard to put all of your eggs in one basket when they’re isn’t anything coming out of the hen-house.
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 04:49 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Parker Yacht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 7,008
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post


Sounds like I touched on a sensitive subject for you. We have a lot of local former Yamaha-only dealers who were forced to make the same choice last year and it wasn’t because of their ‘customer base’. I get it. It’s hard to put all of your eggs in one basket when they’re isn’t anything coming out of the hen-house.
PM sent.
Parker Yacht is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 AM
  #49  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: (snowbird in training) Lake Erie Un-salted water and shark free!
Posts: 6,666
Default

Originally Posted by alloyboy View Post
Not sad for Mercury. They are happy trying to figure out how to meet an unexpected demand. A good problem to have.

Unlike other engine makers that are struggling trying to gin up demand.
That assumes current production is at least as much as the old product line line production. That rarely happens. The demand is most likely to low production rates.
Classic25 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 07:47 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,265
Default

Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post


Sounds like I touched on a sensitive subject for you. We have a lot of local former Yamaha-only dealers who were forced to make the same choice last year and it wasn’t because of their ‘customer base’. I get it. It’s hard to put all of your eggs in one basket when they’re isn’t anything coming out of the hen-house.
Originally Posted by Parker Yacht View Post
PM sent.
Spicy.
Elgreco809 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 4,686
Default

Originally Posted by Elgreco809 View Post
Spicy.
We met ‘round back and handled it like men should.
davidwademarine is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM
  #52  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: washington
Posts: 39
Default

I ordered two black 2018 225's in March of 2018. I was given a July delivery date, which came and went. My dealer was then told mid-November for the delivery date. They arrived in early October. I delayed install for some fiberglass work to fill in fuel fitting holes in the transom that were no longer needed. And filling in a large hole in the helm left from the old controls (replacing with new DTS). I delivered the boat to the dealer this past Friday for the install.
cmppen89 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, NC (near Beaufort)
Posts: 744
Default

I would order the Merc 225 in a heartbeat, but I am old. Speaking of heartbeats, I don't have that many left; I could die before the Merc got here. Going with a Suzuki 200 I guess.
I have a 200 Yammie I4. Way too noisy to get another. The Suzuki 300 on the SeaCraft is quieter than the Yammie 200.
Chris Elkins is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:47 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Eh?
Posts: 1,190
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Elkins View Post
I would order the Merc 225 in a heartbeat, but I am old. Speaking of heartbeats, I don't have that many left; I could die before the Merc got here. Going with a Suzuki 200 I guess.
I have a 200 Yammie I4. Way too noisy to get another. The Suzuki 300 on the SeaCraft is quieter than the Yammie 200.
I don't know that any I4 200 is particularly quiet, least wise not compared to V6 300's.
Blazer7420 is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:39 PM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 823
Default

Originally Posted by cmppen89 View Post
I ordered two black 2018 225's in March of 2018. I was given a July delivery date, which came and went. My dealer was then told mid-November for the delivery date. They arrived in early October. I delayed install for some fiberglass work to fill in fuel fitting holes in the transom that were no longer needed. And filling in a large hole in the helm left from the old controls (replacing with new DTS). I delivered the boat to the dealer this past Friday for the install.

post some numbers and impressions of the motor. Real world info is severely lacking. The wait is killing me.
HighTechRedneck is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM
  #56  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 958
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Elkins View Post
I have a 200 Yammie I4. Way too noisy to get another. The Suzuki 300 on the SeaCraft is quieter than the Yammie 200.
Thanks, that was my second choice if I can't get the Merc. I think you just saved me some money and headache.
BCPD199 is online now  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: satellite beach, fla
Posts: 1,103
Default

Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I wonder what happened to that thread where someone said they ordered a motor and paid a deposit and the dealer came back saying the price of the engine was higher due to new year new pricing and the motor wasnt delivered in the year it was ordered?
That happened to me. Ordered 2 300 V8's in June, PAID IN FULL promising a July delivery. ----NOT-----In August was told price went up, somewhere around $2400 per engine. Had to either pay it or forget the order. They finally showed up at the end of November.
But I got 'em now!
satbeachbill is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:24 AM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,478
Default

Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
That happened to me. Ordered 2 300 V8's in June, PAID IN FULL promising a July delivery. ----NOT-----In August was told price went up, somewhere around $2400 per engine. Had to either pay it or forget the order. They finally showed up at the end of November.
But I got 'em now!
They control the supply, demand and price. $2,400 a piece sounds steep for a price increase. That's over 10%. I am guessing the dealers are going to start a demand fee now.
Pipo6007 is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:26 AM
  #59  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,230
Default

Originally Posted by satbeachbill View Post
That happened to me. Ordered 2 300 V8's in June, PAID IN FULL promising a July delivery. ----NOT-----In August was told price went up, somewhere around $2400 per engine. Had to either pay it or forget the order. They finally showed up at the end of November.
But I got 'em now!
That is all kinds of F'up to raise price after paid in full and not meeting delivery deadline.
Jeepman is online now  
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gloucester, NC (near Beaufort)
Posts: 744
Default

Originally Posted by Blazer7420 View Post
I don't know that any I4 200 is particularly quiet, least wise not compared to V6 300's.
my buddy has twin zuke 200 i4s. they are quiet relative to my yammie
dcouture29 likes this.
Chris Elkins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread