Notices
Like Tree46Likes

Would you go down with the ship?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:13 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 770
Default

Originally Posted by cmerc View Post
Not quite the same but my wife and I were in the water diving conch and putting them in a blow up float when a shark appeared (8 ft) my immediate reaction was to push her into the blow up and try to swin her to shore about 500 ft away, never saw the shark again but I admit I was not happy being in the water, but her safety was the immediate first thought which only took a nano second.
found a body floating which I guess explains the sharks presence.
uhhhh, come again? I think you buried the lede
Burgmane is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: point pleasant,NJ
Posts: 86
Default

I'm going with my boat! I love my boat!
whorrall likes this.
mako 26 is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
  #43  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North East
Posts: 1,066
Default

Originally Posted by gregb5220 View Post


I am staying on topic. But a boat doesn’t have to sink to have the skipper go down with it. I can give you two instances where a boat turtled and sat right below the surface and people died either trapped or trying to get to the passengers. Maybe not yours because you have a center console, but it’s possible.

And that upright flotation? While it’s great, it’s not unsinkable. Put a big enough hole and enough water in the boat it will go down. I’ve seen it happen.

to a foam filled boat (i.e. BostonWhaler, Everglades, Cape Horn, ...)? really? please provide proof as I would love to see this. Yes if you put enough weight on it, the boat will be below the surface, and once weight removed the boat will bounce right back up. Sink... not so sure.

Last edited by ck_moniz; 01-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.
ck_moniz is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 PM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 406
Default

Originally Posted by Burgmane View Post


uhhhh, come again? I think you buried the lede
not sure what you are saying/asking, but yes my wife and I came across the body of a black man who had apparently ben it the water for a while because the epidermis (outer layer of skin) was seperating from the flesh underneath, not a plesent find.
cmerc is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,516
Default

Not intentionally.
Fish'nFool is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 998
Default

I was on a friends boat and we were sinking in the SF Bay. I kept everybody calm and handled the situation. The captain was kinda in shock. His speed boat was sinking fast. I called the CC on the radio while having everybody put on life jackets. The CC starting radioing other boaters to help but there was nobody close by. I got back on the radio and told them we were sinking now and please get somebody to us ASAP. They got to us just in time, the 2 bilge pumps were losing the battle. I have had a few other issues at sea (60+ miles from shore) and I was always surprised how calm I was....

I agree with others, you do what you can but don't die just to not to be called a coward!!
SeaMonkey1 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island Sound, NY
Posts: 2,112
Default

Originally Posted by ck_moniz View Post
to a foam filled boat (i.e. BostonWhaler, Everglades, Cape Horn, ...)? really? please provide proof as I would love to see this. Yes if you put enough weight on it, the boat will be below the surface, and once weight removed the boat will bounce right back up. Sink... not so sure.
Floating just above or below the surface is the same as sinking to me. Sure itís not going to the bottom, but the boat is submerged. Motor done, wiring wrecked etc. In southern climates thatís fine you can float around and wait to be rescued. In northern climates if you canít stay dry than that unsinkable boat isnít going to help much with the exception of maybe being easier to be found.

Foam gets comprised, it gets wet, it gets old. Guys want to add that rod holder in the perfect spot and donít seal it. Bolts leak etc. I canít give specific examples but Iím in the salvage business and I can tell you there are situations that compromise unsinkable boats.

Either way, Iím not arguing whoís got the best unsinkable boat here. All Iím saying is itís not the best mind set to think you donít have to worry because your boat is unsinkable because then your not prepared for the worst.
gregb5220 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:41 PM
  #48  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North East
Posts: 1,066
Default

On bosses 19ft boat mid August outside Boston Harbor. Boat was legally within regulations, but was overloaded with 8 adults. Saw storm on horizon, told boss to head back to dock, she insisted on trying to get coworker up on water skis. Storm came closer, waves got bigger and panic ensued. Removed boss from the helm, pulled person from water, broke out brand new radio from water and handed to co worker asking them to make sure it was working then had women put on the 4 live jackets we had available. Started moving us back to shore, waves much bigger and boat was too unstable. Asked coworker with radio to call out a mayday with location of nearest island (no GPS on boat and before smart phones) and state nature of emergency. No doubt if we didn't get folks off the boat we would have gone down. A lobster boat responded to the call, took 6 people off the boat, including boss / boat owner. I followed lobster boat back to the dock.

Had a time where we came upon a sail boat taking on water, son and I. immediately pulled up, I jumped on sail boat to help crew get off the boat, to my boat. Then worked with the captain to plug the hole.

Saved a drowning man in a lake one time, he was out on a ski, fell off with a life jacket that was way too small. Saw it from the dock, grabbed my son who was 9 at time ran out on our boat. My son at 9 was a better pilot then 95% of the people in this world. I dove in, got the man above water, then dragged is over weight ass to my boat, hauled him in somehow and stared CPR as my son drove us to the public docks. Ambulance and police eventually came. He survived luckily.

Sadly, on same lake saw a spoiled rich kid in dads powerboat chop a small aluminum boat in half. Then leave the scene. The aluminum boat had a brother and sister who were floating within 30 feet of the dock, I believe tied off. Saw it happening. Started screaming and running down the path towards the kids in the boat. Dove in swam out and was able pull little boy out of the water. The sister was hauled out shortly after. She was in multiple pieces, chewed up by the propellers.

Lastly, fishing with family we were in water off the cape that we should not have been in. Father in law, an experienced sailor, took the helm of my boat. while we were doubled up catching fish I looked to the bow just in time to see the wall of water break over the bow. Filling my foam filled boat with a lot of water. brother in law got washed out to the back of boat. Father in law left helm to help his 18 yo son. Next wave crashed over port bow. I got up from the deck standing in water over my calves. Power heads were above the water still, per design. I started moving us fwd, hit the 4 bilge pumps, 2 macerators and opened door at the back, got water out, and we were back at the dock within 1/2 hour. F-in-law never drove boat again.

Anyway, I am not sure I would go down with the ship, but I would do everything I can to ensure no one goes down with the ship.
whorrall likes this.
ck_moniz is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM
  #49  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North East
Posts: 1,066
Default

Originally Posted by gregb5220 View Post


Floating just above or below the surface is the same as sinking to me. Sure itís not going to the bottom, but the boat is submerged. Motor done, wiring wrecked etc. In southern climates thatís fine you can float around and wait to be rescued. In northern climates if you canít stay dry than that unsinkable boat isnít going to help much with the exception of maybe being easier to be found.

Foam gets comprised, it gets wet, it gets old. Guys want to add that rod holder in the perfect spot and donít seal it. Bolts leak etc. I canít give specific examples but Iím in the salvage business and I can tell you there are situations that compromise unsinkable boats.

Either way, Iím not arguing whoís got the best unsinkable boat here. All Iím saying is itís not the best mind set to think you donít have to worry because your boat is unsinkable because then your not prepared for the worst.
Agree completely.
gregb5220 and whorrall like this.
ck_moniz is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:48 PM
  #50  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by gregb5220 View Post


Floating just above or below the surface is the same as sinking to me. Sure itís not going to the bottom, but the boat is submerged. Motor done, wiring wrecked etc. In southern climates thatís fine you can float around and wait to be rescued. In northern climates if you canít stay dry than that unsinkable boat isnít going to help much with the exception of maybe being easier to be found.

Foam gets comprised, it gets wet, it gets old. Guys want to add that rod holder in the perfect spot and donít seal it. Bolts leak etc. I canít give specific examples but Iím in the salvage business and I can tell you there are situations that compromise unsinkable boats.

Either way, Iím not arguing whoís got the best unsinkable boat here. All Iím saying is itís not the best mind set to think you donít have to worry because your boat is unsinkable because then your not prepared for the worst.
When I sunk my boat (at night btw) it had enough foam in it to stay pretty much afloat. Enough that we could hang onto it and take a "boat ride" over to the bank and start getting it pumped out. It was in 10 feet of powerful river current. The motor, fuel tank, batteries, it all went under water. We were definitely in a serious situation. I put my life jacket on as soon as I could tell we were screwed, and my buddy was kinda freaking out and too focused on trying to get a pocket knife from someone to cut a rope that he didn't listen to my repeated commands to put on a lifejacket. I ended up physically putting his lifejacket on him because he wouldn't. I would not say "we almost died" but the potential for drowning was there for sure. Just because a boat is unsinkable doesn't mean you are.
gregb5220 likes this.

Last edited by whorrall; 01-11-2019 at 02:06 PM.
whorrall is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:54 PM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Steubenville, Ohio
Posts: 1,534
Default

No witnesses or plaintiffs
mkalink is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:00 PM
  #52  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island Sound, NY
Posts: 2,112
Default

Originally Posted by whorrall View Post
When I sunk my boat (at night btw) it had enough foam in it to stay pretty much afloat. Enough that we could hang onto it and take a "boat ride" over to the bank and start getting it pumped out. It was in 10 feet of powerful river current. The motor, fuel tank, batteries, it all went under water. We were definitely in a serious situation. I put my life jacket on as soon as I could tell we were screwed, and my buddy was kinda freaking out and too focused on trying to get a pocket knife from someone to cut a rope that he didn't listen to my repeated commands to put on a lifejacket. I ended up physically putting his lifejacket on him because he wouldn't. I would not say "we almost died" but the potential for drowning was there for sure. Just because a boat is unsinkable doesn't mean you aren't.
Thats another good point, how your passengers will react
whorrall and Bargin like this.
gregb5220 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:02 PM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,485
Default

I’ve only had to administer 1st aid and jump in after few people a couple of times. For me, the safety of family, crew/friends are my 1st priority, my safety comes last. So yes, I guess if I had too I’d go down with the ship trying to ensure everyone is safe.
whorrall likes this.
lyman24 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 605
Default

Originally Posted by ck_moniz View Post

Sadly, on same lake saw a spoiled rich kid in dads powerboat chop a small aluminum boat in half. Then leave the scene. The aluminum boat had a brother and sister who were floating within 30 feet of the dock, I believe tied off. Saw it happening. Started screaming and running down the path towards the kids in the boat. Dove in swam out and was able pull little boy out of the water. The sister was hauled out shortly after. She was in multiple pieces, chewed up by the propellers.
Jesus, that's horrible. Something similar happened around here a few years ago, drunk 19 yr old boys in Daddy's boat tearing ass around the lake, ran clear over a small jon boat and killed a guys wife, guy in jon boat is yelling help help but speedboat takes off to avoid getting in trouble. Tells story later about how he was "going to get help." Bystanders saw him look back, idle around, then take off after he realized what he did. He got sentenced to several years in prison.
whorrall is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:35 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 286
Default

My boat started sinking and I got everyone out, I not only stayed on the boat but also rode it back up the ramp. Dang drain plugs.
whorrall likes this.
fritz423 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM
  #56  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 406
Default

Originally Posted by fritz423 View Post
My boat started sinking and I got everyone out, I not only stayed on the boat but also rode it back up the ramp. Dang drain plugs.
Captain Jack Sparrow I presume?
cmerc is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM
  #57  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,167
Default

Hmmmm, I think this will answer the question for me.

RussH is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM
  #58  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 26
Default

If you never saw the Boston Whaler ad.......you dont have a clue what I am saying.[/QUOTE]
That's funny!
Bargin is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:00 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: darkest side of Valhalla
Posts: 1,211
Default

No.....I'd just set ground on the shore of an uncharted desert island...
weaks4u is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM
  #60  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island Sound, NY
Posts: 2,112
Default

Originally Posted by Bargin View Post
If you never saw the Boston Whaler ad.......you dont have a clue what I am saying.
That's funny![/QUOTE]

Yea I thought that was funny. Coming from a guy that says ďgunnels.Ē
gregb5220 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread